The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Okay so not to be this guy but I am totally being this guy

I've been too busy the past couple of days to read many details about the resolution of the various points of contention they had - can someone either summarize it for me if it's not too much trouble, or point me to somewhere that someone already did that?

It might be buried several pages back in this thread but there are a few tweets that sum up the new deal fairly well. 

25 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Okay so not to be this guy but I am totally being this guy

I've been too busy the past couple of days to read many details about the resolution of the various points of contention they had - can someone either summarize it for me if it's not too much trouble, or point me to somewhere that someone already did that?

Minimum salary - got a huge boost, from about $615k to about $700k per year. 

Luxury tax level - huge boost from $210 to $230 million. Removed the multi year penalties. Added a Steve Cohen tax, an especially high level of tax, starting at $290 million.

Added stuff for pre-arb people. $50 million to be distributed to pre-arb players every year based on a WAR calculation to be agreed on later. Top Rookie of the Year voting finishers get a full free year of service time.

Some unclear changes in revenue sharing. Some sort of bonus was added for teams that grow their local revenue a bunch - they pay less to revenue sharing. Exceedingly smart.

Draft lottery. Teams can’t wind up in the lottery multiple years in a row to discourage tanking for picks (slight difference between big and small markets here)

Draft pick reward to limit service time manipulation- bring a top prospect up on opening day you get a draft pick reward.

Rules changes possible in a year - pitch clock, banning shifts could happen in 2023.

Union will either come up with an agreement to allow international draft in a couple years or qualifying offers come back.

The CBT, minimum salary, revenue sharing, and international draft each became major issues the last few times. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Minimum salary - got a huge boost, from about $615k to about $700k per year. 

Luxury tax level - huge boost from $210 to $230 million. Removed the multi year penalties. Added a Steve Cohen tax, an especially high level of tax, starting at $290 million.

Added stuff for pre-arb people. $50 million to be distributed to pre-arb players every year based on a WAR calculation to be agreed on later. Top Rookie of the Year voting finishers get a full free year of service time.

Some unclear changes in revenue sharing. Some sort of bonus was added for teams that grow their local revenue a bunch - they pay less to revenue sharing. Exceedingly smart.

Draft lottery. Teams can’t wind up in the lottery multiple years in a row to discourage tanking for picks (slight difference between big and small markets here)

Draft pick reward to limit service time manipulation- bring a top prospect up on opening day you get a draft pick reward.

Rules changes possible in a year - pitch clock, banning shifts could happen in 2023.

Union will either come up with an agreement to allow international draft in a couple years or qualifying offers come back.

Okay this sounds pretty fair. I also read that they expect to do some changes to the schedule so everybody plays everybody, like the NBA and NHL do, which I am cool with