The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the details we heard are still in there...theres a limit to how many times in a row a team can be in the lottery (1 for big market teams, 2 for smaller market teams) so teams get penalized if they try to lose for years. 

There was also supposed to be a reward of additional draft picks for teams that have a top 150 prospect and call them up on opening day rather than waiting until April 15. (note that this would not affect the White Sox since they have none).

Ok. Those both help a little. At least there are some incentives. The lottery was top 6 picks, correct?

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I thought the lawsuits were for COVID related items? Or were there multiple lawsuits discussed?

One was against 4 teams that had extremely low payrolls in 2018 or so. The other was for failing to bargain in good faith during the 2020 covid setup.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

One was against 4 teams that had extremely low payrolls in 2018 or so. The other was for failing to bargain in good faith during the 2020 covid setup.

Thanks, I didn't hear the former just the latter.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

After being locked out, the stalling, the ploys, dirty tricks, numerous arbitrary deadlines, ect the players getting a full service time season with full pay might be their biggest win.  

Well considering they are playing all 162, it's not much a win. It would be if they don't play 162.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the details we heard are still in there...theres a limit to how many times in a row a team can be in the lottery (1 for big market teams, 2 for smaller market teams) so teams get penalized if they try to lose for years. 

There was also supposed to be a reward of additional draft picks for teams that have a top 150 prospect and call them up on opening day rather than waiting until April 15. (note that this would not affect the White Sox since they have none).

just based off how baseball works, I don't think a lottery is all that much of a disincentive. There's not THAT much of a value difference between 1 and 7

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

just based off how baseball works, I don't think a lottery is all that much of a disincentive. There's not THAT much of a value difference between 1 and 7

I believe that a team that has been in the lottery the maximum number of times actually drops down to drafting 10th once they don't qualify. But even if they didn't, yeah there's a big difference between 1 and 7, and if you remove the motivation to "lose more games to get a better pick" then that changes the calculus anyway. Imagine the 2019 Tigers or 2018 White Sox not being able to qualify for a pick better than #10.