The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

TLTR

I'm gonna preface this by saying that I don't mean this mockingly in any way whatsoever: TLTR commonly means "too long to read." Considering you highlighted and underlined a passage in the post, I'm not sure this is the abbreviation you meant.

42 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm gonna preface this by saying that I don't mean this mockingly in any way whatsoever: TLTR commonly means "too long to read." Considering you highlighted and underlined a passage in the post, I'm not sure this is the abbreviation you meant.

I didn't underline or bold anything.  It was there when I responded to it.  

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

But if they are good and put up a 5 WAR season, you will have to pay them $40 million. 

Pay them the $40 mil during that season to be really fair. Cancel contracts and put players on commission. 

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oy. My apologies.

No problem.  I was really trying to make the point that when some posters try to make 17 points in one post it is hard if not impossible to respond with any degree of clarity.  I frequently find myself in agreement with some points the poster is making but can end up debating some points I don't even care about.  

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Pay them the $40 mil during that season to be really fair. Cancel contracts and put players on commission. 

What a great idea.  This should settle the work stoppage for sure.  Just make all players independent contractors and pay all players what they were worth each and every season.   If I am an owner I jump on that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I just hope the player hold out for the “each fan on a white Sox board with the user name ‘hi8is’ will earn 1 million dollars annually,” rule.

Is this effective for those who later change their name to hi8is or is it more like whoever has their name hi8is at this current time earns 1 million annually?

10 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Is this effective for those who later change their name to hi8is or is it more like whoever has their name hi8is at this current time earns 1 million annually?

Some thing in life aren’t worth worrying about.

It's all a stupid game. Owners could break the union, but the effort to do so would break the game. No one has learned from past mistakes, but the players get far less percentage wise than they used to. Many teams don't even try to win. It's time the players got something. I wonder if they did, how it would effect franchise values.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's all a stupid game. Owners could break the union, but the effort to do so would break the game. No one has learned from past mistakes, but the players get far less percentage wise than they used to. Many teams don't even try to win. It's time the players got something. I wonder if they did, how it would effect franchise values.

No matter how this ends no owner will throw up their hands and sell and no player will quit playing and get another job. It won't make a difference in the lives of fans or the folks who work for the teams. Someone will get a little richer and someone will be a little less wealthy.  

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No matter how this ends no owner will throw up their hands and sell and no player will quit playing and get another job. It won't make a difference in the lives of fans or the folks who work for the teams. Someone will get a little richer and someone will be a little less wealthy.  

Yep...those people hoping for one side or the other to win are going to be disappointed.  No one is going to win this.  At the very best the season looks like it will be delayed and maybe result in games missed.  I would say the young players playing for the league minimum and the low-level FA's will be the losers.  The well-established players along with the owners will go forward with perhaps a little less money in their pockets.  Once again many fans will be turned off by what they perceive to be rich people fighting over money.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told this offer isn't going to move the needle.  Just another waste of time by the owners.  

No surprise.  A token video call to make it look like they are talking again, but with nothing substantive on the table.  All cover to continue running out the clock until games are in real jeopardy.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told this offer isn't going to move the needle.  Just another waste of time by the owners.  

Anything that actually starts conversation is still a positive. There are ways to fix what is broken without adjusting those details, or maybe the owners make a small move on one piece in this offer and then they reach an agreement to return to play if one more important detail is adjusted in meetings.

At the very least, the players would likely give a counter offer to anything the owners give unless it’s plainly disrespectful. The players want to be able to say the owners are the ones refusing to deal. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Yep...those people hoping for one side or the other to win are going to be disappointed.  No one is going to win this.  At the very best the season looks like it will be delayed and maybe result in games missed.  I would say the young players playing for the league minimum and the low-level FA's will be the losers.  The well-established players along with the owners will go forward with perhaps a little less money in their pockets.  Once again many fans will be turned off by what they perceive to be rich people fighting over money.

No one really cares about a "win".  They care about the game, keeping it healthy, and keeping it going at its normal times.  Sure it would be nice to see better equity, but the primary wish from fans is the game itself.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Anything that actually starts conversation is still a positive. There are ways to fix what is broken without adjusting those details, or maybe the owners make a small move on one piece in this offer and then they reach an agreement to return to play if one more important detail is adjusted in meetings.

At the very least, the players would likely give a counter offer to anything the owners give unless it’s plainly disrespectful. The players want to be able to say the owners are the ones refusing to deal. 

I've sat in on management-union negotiations and sometimes offers are insulting, and people get more pissed. But you're right. Any conversation is better than none. If the union laughs it off or goes on a tirade, at least we fans will know a little more about what is going on. But I still don't think the regular season will not start on time. If I'm wrong, I will be happily surprised, but things are moving at such a slow pace. It would help if the two sides could meet without wanting to punch each other. The human side to this always has the potential to mess things up.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one really cares about a "win".  They care about the game, keeping it healthy, and keeping it going at its normal times.  Sure it would be nice to see better equity, but the primary wish from fans is the game itself.

I agree. I think the debate is in defining keeping it healthy. If we just are looking at the financial health we should line up with the owners and profits. There aren't too many businesses that failed while turning a profit. The owners "winning" keeps the game going without any threats. But I think for most fans healthy also means every market having a chance to win once in a while. Healthy means a team being able to draft and hang onto a talented player and watch them develop into a superstar while playing at least a season or two for them before leaving. Healthy to me is all the employees earning a livable wage (I'm looking at you MiLB).  Based on the growth in value for most MLB teams and the profits that most report, there is room to make the non owners "healthier" while not risking the long term financial health of teams and the game itself. 

• Like 2