The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Because then the owners wouldn't make as much money.

If it were up to me, eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule and the top 4 teams advance to the postseason. 

Expanding the playoffs does nothing but pad the wallets of ownership. Nobody wants to watch a watered down playoff. 

Idk what the leagues don't understand about "less is more" when it comes to the postseason. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it were up to me, eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule and the top 4 teams advance to the postseason. 

Expanding the playoffs does nothing but pad the wallets of ownership. Nobody wants to watch a watered down playoff. 

Idk what the leagues don't understand about "less is more" when it comes to the postseason. 

No divisions with a balanced schedule would be perfect.  Of course, there would be no reason to have a playoff since we already would know who won the league fair and square.  As an old-time fan that would be my preference but of course, the money made off the playoffs would make that dead on arrival.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is the phase of negotiations where we give up the crap we never thought had a chance.  Today the players drop FA eligibility before 6 years...tomorrow I expect owners to give up on the expanded 14 team playoffs.  I expect the owners to give the $600K ML minimum because it's already $570.5 I believe.  A few more tweaks like universal DH and its "play ball".  Could have been done months ago but everyone would complain we left too much on the table.

43 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I guess the team with the best record gets a bye? And then they play the team with the lowest record that wins the first round (Wild Card Series?)?

Sitting at home for week seems like a disadvantage.  

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This is the phase of negotiations where we give up the crap we never thought had a chance.  Today the players drop FA eligibility before 6 years...tomorrow I expect owners to give up on the expanded 14 team playoffs.  I expect the owners to give the $600K ML minimum because it's already $570.5 I believe.  A few more tweaks like universal DH and its "play ball".  Could have been done months ago but everyone would complain we left too much on the table.

So the owners big give is giving up a raise they were offering, while the players are giving up getting additional revenues?  Gee I wonder why this hasn't been solved yet.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So the owners big give is giving up a raise they were offering, while the players are giving up getting additional revenues?  Gee I wonder why this hasn't been solved yet.

Very seldom are union/employer negotiations concluded before some form of deadline is established.  Who knows...maybe the other side will blink and give you something you weren't expecting.

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Very seldom are union/employer negotiations concluded before some form of deadline is established.  Who knows...maybe the other side will blink and give you something you weren't expecting.

My union and employer just went through two rounds where no deadline was established and no strike needed to happen.

CBA negotiations happen all the time without big time drama.

• Like 2