The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sad that the only party concerned with the integrity of the game is the MLBPA.

There should be zero Pirate season ticket holders, not even a 10 game plan.

Projected payroll is $32.58M after they dumped Stallings $3M salary yesterday.

What a shame. truly a great ballpark and history with a rabid sports fanbase. Salary floor/cap really needs to be implemented in a fair manner

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wow. They made it a whole 30 minutes.

Edit: Spoiler - The content was more contextual than the clickbait headline…

”Now, with the meeting ending after just 30 minutes Tuesday, the owners reconvened to determine their next steps and whether they will make an immediate counteroffer.

The two sides are expected to meet again before Wednesday night but nothing has yet been scheduled with time running out before baseball’s first work stoppage since 1994-1995.”

Edited by hi8is

3 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

From what I’ve read, they can discuss trades and probably “handshake” agree to them, but they cannot actually complete any trades officially.  

Well this is about to really become a shit show 😆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

From what I’ve read, they can discuss trades and probably “handshake” agree to them, but they cannot actually complete any trades officially.  

Thank you - this confirmed what I thought - and just further proof for why we haven't seen much on the trade front, other than teams making moves for potential non-tender type of guys.  Teams are clearly prioritizing this first wave of FA - will work the trade and reassess during the lockout window, than get back to work in what i presume will be a really compressed close of the offseason whenever the two sides reach an agreement.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Thank you - this confirmed what I thought - and just further proof for why we haven't seen much on the trade front, other than teams making moves for potential non-tender type of guys.  Teams are clearly prioritizing this first wave of FA - will work the trade and reassess during the lockout window, than get back to work in what i presume will be a really compressed close of the offseason whenever the two sides reach an agreement.  

Circumstances put aside… this is pretty fun actually. Like other professional sports free agency.

16 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Yes. Just can't announce them officially 

It's not just an announcement, players typically have a physical, so all of that will be on hold until the CBA is signed. It will take a few days after a new CBA is signed to sort everything out and announce, and then another few days for players to take their physicals before reporting to their new team.

Also of note, MLB has strict lease terms with the AZ and FL governments who built their spring training complexes that a full Spring Training must be conducted, meaning it is likely if a new CBA is not in place by late February, the start to the season may be delayed and games may be either postponed or rescheduled.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Hopefully it provides some entertainment during this impending dark, directionless time in our lives.

I need to get off the Internet and put myself back to work… my level of Soxtalk obsession lately has been unhealthy due to the compressed activity and my own propensity to, well… be habituated to this team and endless speculation.

😆

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I need to get off the Internet and put myself back to work… my level of Soxtalk obsession lately has been unhealthy due to the compressed activity and my own propensity to, well… be habituated to this team and endless speculation.

😆

I have also been obsessed with making sure I am the one who sees a trade/signing announcement firsthand after having a Cubs fan walk up to me at work and casually dropping, “bro, I can’t believe the Sox traded Chris Sale.” Of course, this was during the first time I worked for ten minutes straight that month. I will never make that mistake again.

The last two weeks, I won’t open a text message from any of my friends without checking here first.  That Jon Heyman tweet announcing Leury Legend for three years just hits different.

56 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

I have also been obsessed with making sure I am the one who sees a trade/signing announcement firsthand after having a Cubs fan walk up to me at work and casually dropping, “bro, I can’t believe the Sox traded Chris Sale.” Of course, this was during the first time I worked for ten minutes straight that month. I will never make that mistake again.

The last two weeks, I won’t open a text message from any of my friends without checking here first.  That Jon Heyman tweet announcing Leury Legend for three years just hits different.

I’ve met my match and believe you have earned the Obsession Crown.

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

Welcome to Cubstalk!

55 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Welcome to Cubstalk!

Ron, you're not going to generate any likes for this particular running gag that's quickly losing steam...

Might want to switch to a new attention-generating strategy.

For your sake, you were temporarily saved by no Conforto "last minute" White Sox signing that would have quickly reversed your organizational preferences again.

• Thanks 1

We'll see Reinsdorf push toady Hahn out to the press to corporate-speak his way through why CWS didn't make any major free-agent acquisitions. 

A prolonged work-stoppage is music to Reinsdorf's ears. And folks still wonder why major FA's in both MLB and NBA have stayed clear of him.

The NBA just basically ignores him - for the better.  

Imagine Reinsdorf trying to enforce a dress code in the NBA...LMAO.

They'd laugh his lost in the 1950's ass off the planet.

Edited by GradMc

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Happy deadline day!

Considering the physical window requirements, I would suspect today to be less active… though I don’t really know how long it takes to finalize a contract, get a physical, and submit all the paperwork to NY.

I’m sure that all can be done in relative short order. Let’s say the deadline is 7pm.