The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

MLB proposes determining arbitration salaries by using the WAR statistic…

MLB is offering to pay players based on performance, specifically on a calculation of wins above replacement, or WAR. There are multiple variants of WAR, but MLB proposed to rely on FanGraphs' version, or fWAR. A player's career WAR would be part of the calculation, weighted for recency. Whether a player has been in the majors for three-plus, four-plus, or five-plus years would affect the calculation.

-Rosenthal

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

1B/DH/corner outfield types beware.

Yea that's garbage. No need to be punished because you play a certain position.  Figure out a better way to grade defense.  CF is the easiest OF position to play. It does however require a very fast individual usually for the best results. Why should corner OF be graded more harshly because they have to deal with more spin on the ball and slow down when getting too close to walls barely outside fair territory.

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

If owners are trying to use WAR for arbitration...this season is getting cancelled. that is the dumbest idea I have ever seen. 

How is using WAR worse than what they already do in arbitration? Currently, the team tries to neg the player and the player tries to sell himself to a panel. With WAR, it's at least less subjective and you don't have to go through that process that's not good for either side. 

Edit: I see they are saying that the figure that they come up with will be the final salary in arbitration without argument. I was thinking it was more of a guideline to go with and not how they determined arbitration salary before based on years of experience. I don't think the PA will go with the currently proposal at all. 

Edited by chw42

On 10/27/2021 at 6:52 AM, reiks12 said:

If theres a strike that takes out a chunk of the season i think illbe done with baseball

If baseball survives after a long work stoppage I'd be surprised. I guess baseball has a chance to prove it can survive anything. Think about it. 

Baseball (using the voice of James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams) ... a.) can't get significant numbers of people under 50 to watch a game. b.) has become exceedingly boring because of pace of play and 4 to 4.5 hour 9 inning games. c.) has no chance for having any more 'stars' in the position of starting pitcher because of the fact 3-5 innings are becoming the norm for a starter. d.) has made it inconvenient to get to games cause 50 dollar parking is too much. e.) has forced fans to feel sad walking past concession stands and beer stands cause 10 dollars is too much for a beer and 8 dollars too much for a hot dog. 

If baseball survives a stoppage and franchises remain worth gazillions of dollars, then it should never spend a dollar on advertising again. This will prove the increasingly dull game of baseball, one that can't get many people under 30 to consider watching, will have proven it can survive ANYTHING.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:08 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They still consider batting average for hitters and saves for relievers so what's the difference......

Far too complicated an issue to dismiss completely BA, RBI and saves. Are you saying only HRs matter for a hitter and K's for a pitcher and also velocity? I wish baseball had a do-over. Lets return to 1965 please and repeat it. Current baseball is soo so boring. Ah for the days when a pitchers W/L record mattered. It was neat to see a guy 14-1 and wonder what his ultimate record would be. Or 2-13 for that matter. Would he lose 20 games? Get shut down before then? Now I couldn't name any starter's W/L record on my fave team, the Sox. Just doesn't matter. My interest now only rests in making the postseason and how do we do when the team gets there? No interest in the little things that made up baseball.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Far too complicated an issue to dismiss completely BA, RBI and saves. Are you saying only HRs matter for a hitter and K's for a pitcher and also velocity? I wish baseball had a do-over. Lets return to 1965 please and repeat it. Current baseball is soo so boring. Ah for the days when a pitchers W/L record mattered. It was neat to see a guy 14-1 and wonder what his ultimate record would be. Or 2-13 for that matter. Would he lose 20 games? Get shut down before then? Now I couldn't name any starter's W/L record on my fave team, the Sox. Just doesn't matter. My interest now only rests in making the postseason and how do we do when the team gets there? No interest in the little things that made up baseball.

I mean, that seems to be a you problem.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

Before December, this thread will become the most popular on Soxtalk… sadly.

These clowns need a lockout to move things forward and as JR said, a deadline day to make deals. They've had a year to figure this out. They don't understand the bad publicity and negativity coming their way. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Solid article regarding the MLBPA's chief negotiator Bruce Meyer. Jerry's crony "special advisor". I have confidence the players will both win significant gains in this contract, and also help fix the game.

https://theathletic.com/2981810/2021/11/28/mlb-players-want-change-and-bruce-meyer-is-fighting-to-deliver-it-the-other-side-is-not-going-to-be-happy-with-me/

Bruce will be the only baseball fan when in a room when he meets with Manfred and Halem.

“I became obsessed with Hank Aaron’s chase for Babe Ruth’s home run record,” Meyer said. “I sent Aaron a letter calling him ‘my hero.’ He responded with an autographed picture which I display proudly in my office to this day.”

Max is on board, as are McHugh, two of eight on the Player's executive committee.

“A real taste of what a labor dispute looks like,” Scherzer said. “When we were in that labor dispute last year, all our true colors got to show: from the players’ side, MLB’s side, our leadership. And credit to Bruce, how he conducted himself.”

On 10/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, NWINFan said:

Whoever is left from 1994 should do some hard thinking. The whole baseball establishment under-estimated the fan anger over the strike. They merely expected fans to come back as if nothing had happened because they thought that's how it always was. One of teams that took the biggest hit was the White Sox. There was big-time fan alienation and interest in the White Sox hit new lows. By the end of the 1990s, even when the Sox showed signs of a developing team, many were turned off and attendance plummeted. Even in 2000, when the team won the division, many could have cared less.

The CWS chairman was the ringleader then and he will be now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Will Soxtalk be available during the work stoppage and is posting here akin to crossing a picket line?

I plan on supporting the Players, so can do that here and not cross the line. I may have posts critical of Jerry/Manfred et al for the first time in this forum.

• Thanks 1

Sad that the only party concerned with the integrity of the game is the MLBPA.

There should be zero Pirate season ticket holders, not even a 10 game plan.

Projected payroll is $32.58M after they dumped Stallings $3M salary yesterday.

Edited by South Side Hit Men