The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's not how economics works. If the Owners could make more money by raising prices right now (or in 2019 pre-COVID), do you think they would keep their prices lower than that level out of some generosity in their hearts?

No. Do you think that if their costs go up they will just accept lower profits or will they pass those higher costs on to the consumer? Especially the consumer that took the side of increasing costs?

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No. Do you think that if their costs go up they will just accept lower profits or will they pass those higher costs on to the consumer? Especially the consumer that took the side of increasing costs?

Do you feel this same way about other entertainment industries?  Do you think Tom Hanks makes too much money to act in a movie or Taylor Swift makes too much money to sing a song?

• Like 1

Just now, Texsox said:

Yes, because that's dictated by economics. What happens if baseball raises their prices? Fewer people come to games, changing the balance between ticket sales and revenue. If they raise their ticket prices too high - fewer people buy tickets or concessions or parking, and revenue drops

We have seen this be relevant for the White Sox in the last decade - they actually cut their ticket prices in 2011-2015 because they were seeing attendance drop so rapidly and they wanted to keep people in the ballpark. They were fairly affordable for a number of years because of this.

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Profits are out of control nearly everywhere, not just in baseball. 

The answer is that owners should accept less profit because they already have enough money from their other businesses anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And when an organization as skillful and well run as the White Sox can only clear $70 million a year in each of 2019 and 2018, clearly things are too player friendly. The ownership can’t be expected to even be motivated to come into work most days for that pittance. They barely put on pants for that money.

Where did you find the information about 2018/19 profitability? Is this published somewhere?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Those are good for openers. Raise the minimum to help the lesser players. Each side could give a little and get things done. It's not the fans' problem. Just get it done. 

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Do you feel this same way about other entertainment industries?  Do you think Tom Hanks makes too much money to act in a movie or Taylor Swift makes too much money to sing a song?

I'm not saying anyone makes too much money. 

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, because that's dictated by economics. What happens if baseball raises their prices? Fewer people come to games, changing the balance between ticket sales and revenue. If they raise their ticket prices too high - fewer people buy tickets or concessions or parking, and revenue drops

We have seen this be relevant for the White Sox in the last decade - they actually cut their ticket prices in 2011-2015 because they were seeing attendance drop so rapidly and they wanted to keep people in the ballpark. They were fairly affordable for a number of years because of this.

So you understand that raising costs are bad for the game. Thank you. 

24 minutes ago, Flash said:

Where did you find the information about 2018/19 profitability? Is this published somewhere?

Forbes publishes estimates for teams every year that generally aren't terrible, they do a pretty strong job of predicting whether the White Sox have money to spend. They show them clearing $140 million in profits over those 2 seasons, which is entirely plausible with their $80 million payrolls. They show a $40 million loss in 2020 due to COVID, which is also entirely reasonable. 2021 numbers will be next year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So you understand that raising costs are bad for the game. Thank you. 

No I do not. I understand that more people attend games if ticket prices are lower. I also believe that there are a variety of other entertainment options or even ways to enjoy baseball (Streaming) that people can choose to spend their money on. 

I think baseball is a much better game when costs are rising rapidly because a lot of teams are trying to compete and get better. I think that perpetually rebuilding franchises like the Pirates and a perpetual upper class are not a good thing for the sport. 

How much fun was the last 10 years of playoff free white Sox baseball? It was affordable. Costs went down exactly like you wanted. We ok with the results? I for one might have been so satisfied that I repeatedly asked for the GM to be publicly tarred and feathered after 2016 as firing him wasn’t enough. Costs are going up again now so is this winning a bad thing?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

That's not how economics works. If the Owners could make more money by raising prices right now (or in 2019 pre-COVID), do you think they would keep their prices lower than that level out of some generosity in their hearts?

Gee...and here I thought if the price of payroll goes up the owners might raise the price of their products.  Learn something new every day around here.

• Like 1

Listen, if you will enjoy the game more if Garcia makes $6.5 mil instead of $5.5 mil and ownership groups make less, that's great, it won't change my enjoyment. The Pirates spending more won't increase the talent level in the league, it will just mean other teams, like the Sox, will have less talent at higher wages. 

I'm not going to worry about it. Neither side will suddenly be poor. 

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Gee...and here I thought if the price of payroll goes up the owners might raise the price of their products.  Learn something new every day around here.

Arguably baseball teams don't have some of the cost cutting moves that other industries have. Outsourcing manufacturing or labor, greater use of technology, etc. Baseball teams can cut front office costs, try to have taxpayers fund the team via tax breaks or stadium deals or just not sign better talent beyond whatever the minimum is. 

41 minutes ago, poppysox said:

59B9DDB8-E8F4-4239-B67D-FC4CF5837959.png  

The monopolistically competitive firm decides on its profit-maximizing quantity and price in much the same way as a monopolist. A monopolistic competitor, like a monopolist, faces a downward-sloping demand curve, and so it will choose some combination of price and quantity along its perceived demand curve.

As an example of a profit-maximizing monopolistic competitor, consider the Authentic Chinese Pizza store, which serves pizza with cheese, sweet and sour sauce, and your choice of vegetables and meats. Although Authentic Chinese Pizza must compete against other pizza businesses and restaurants, it has a differentiated product. The firm’s perceived demand curve is downward sloping, as shown in Figure 1 and the first two columns of Table 1.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wm-microeconomics/chapter/profit-maximization-under-monopolistic-competition/

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Except we don't have a monopoly with all the entertainment options available and generally declining interest in baseball, not to mention the Cubs ...differentiated product can't easily enough be defined using pizza toppings examples.  Each topping can't represent a player unless they are close to iconic or superstar level.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No I do not. I understand that more people attend games if ticket prices are lower. I also believe that there are a variety of other entertainment options or even ways to enjoy baseball (Streaming) that people can choose to spend their money on. 

I think baseball is a much better game when costs are rising rapidly because a lot of teams are trying to compete and get better. I think that perpetually rebuilding franchises like the Pirates and a perpetual upper class are not a good thing for the sport. 

How much fun was the last 10 years of playoff free white Sox baseball? It was affordable. Costs went down exactly like you wanted. We ok with the results? I for one might have been so satisfied that I repeatedly asked for the GM to be publicly tarred and feathered after 2016 as firing him wasn’t enough. Costs are going up again now so is this winning a bad thing?

You keep contradicting yourself. 

I don't care how much Roberts earns next year. I don't care how much equity the Sox shareholders gain or lose. But if that's your calling, you are welcome to it.

Which Sox players do you believe are especially underpaid and should receive raises?

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yeah...when a guy as talented as Leury can only get paid 5.5 million they obviously need a work stoppage.  

Well, most people don't spend a decade plus preparing for a career, and only have a few years to earn salary, as opposed to the decades of income most people can earn after going to college.

And the owners are the ones locking players out, they can continue to play under the expired contract but the owners choose not to. The owners are the ones saying fuck you to the players, fans, and the industry. And they produce absolutely nothing, they are merely parasites on the asses of mankind.

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

"When billionaires fight with millionaires it's the folks in debt that get screwed" 

Tex

Stop killing puppies.