The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

All right now this part is important - there are 2 issues here. First, this poster misplaced the blame for the lack of a targeted revenue distribution- to my understanding that mostly goes to the players not the owners. Making that work typically involves a cap and floor, and the owners even offered a version of that earlier this year knowing that it would be rejected.

For about 15 years, the Players’ share of revenue was actually thought to be growing, which is even sustainable long-term as if league revenue is growing at 10% a year, the amount going to ownership could grow at 4% a year and the owners would be quite happy with that, while the rest would go to the players and their total share would grow over time. However, around 2010 when the rebuilds hit and fewer teams started competing, players salaries stagnated and the players’ share shrank, so this backfired thanks to the owners new technique for controlling spending. To my eyes, the players would have been better off with this setup, but…

The details of the audit matter, and the poster is correct that the owners have not shown a willingness to do that.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

In a situation where I don’t feel that strongly for either side, boy did manfreds email make it clear the owners don’t want any.

He's doing the "it's their fault!" tour this morning on radio stations.