The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Just now, striker said:

Think it's good news or bad news that we've heard absolutely nothing on the negotiations?

Unsurprising news. Now that it has started, neither side has any reason to do anything other than public posturing until sometime in late January. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't meeting at all, or if they were meeting they were talking about minor issues like pitch clocks.

I don’t know if this has been posted yet but below are highlights from the article above. This is more of Ken Rosenthal’s suggestions or plan for the new CBA.

Luxury Tax: Increase thresholds, decrease penalties.

Revenue Sharing: Keep the formula the same, but require recipients to spend on major-league payroll.

Free Agency: Free agency after six years of service time except for players who have at least five at age 30; elimination of direct draft-pick compensation; creation of system to help low-revenue teams keep franchise-type players before they hit the open market.

Arbitration: Increase the percentage of players who qualify for Super Two eligibility; increase the minimum salary from $570,500 to at least $800,000.

The Draft: A draft lottery for low-revenue teams with the top 10 picks, giving weighted advantages to those with the best records; additional selections for low-revenue teams that make the playoffs.

Expanded Playoffs: An increase from 10 to 14 teams, with proper incentives for teams that attain best overall records in each league, other division winners and wild-card teams with the highest win totals — pretty much the owners’ plan.

Edited by maloney.adam

On 12/8/2021 at 4:51 PM, maloney.adam said:

creation of system to help low-revenue teams keep franchise-type players before they hit the open market.

Ken’s on point with his… well… points. Wonder how in the hell they would accomplish the item above though.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:51 PM, maloney.adam said:

I don’t know if this has been posted yet but below are highlights from the article above. This is more of Ken Rosenthal’s suggestions or plan for the new CBA.

Luxury Tax: Increase thresholds, decrease penalties.

Revenue Sharing: Keep the formula the same, but require recipients to spend on major-league payroll.

Free Agency: Free agency after six years of service time except for players who have at least five at age 30; elimination of direct draft-pick compensation; creation of system to help low-revenue teams keep franchise-type players before they hit the open market.

Arbitration: Increase the percentage of players who qualify for Super Two eligibility; increase the minimum salary from $570,500 to at least $800,000.

The Draft: A draft lottery for low-revenue teams with the top 10 picks, giving weighted advantages to those with the best records; additional selections for low-revenue teams that make the playoffs.

Expanded Playoffs: An increase from 10 to 14 teams, with proper incentives for teams that attain best overall records in each league, other division winners and wild-card teams with the highest win totals — pretty much the owners’ plan.

1. Helps the players

2. Helps the players

3. helps the players in multiple ways (system to keep players on their original team not explained).

4. Two more assists for the players 

5. Reduces impact of rebuilding, maybe a slight help to the players.

6. New playoff revenue. Helps the owners.

Anyone else seeing the issue here?

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I just read an idea in the Athletic to change the draft to the team with the best record not in the playoffs gets the first pick. There is more, but I really like that idea. Stop some of the tanking.

It'll never happen. A system like that just doesn't work either. The teams would tank down the stretch because some years getting a top five pick is better than making the playoffs. Also, a team like Arizona wasn't tanking last year. They were just horrible. They deserve the 2nd pick. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I just read an idea in the Athletic to change the draft to the team with the best record not in the playoffs gets the first pick. There is more, but I really like that idea. Stop some of the tanking.

That's the system I've been talking about.  It would be great.  Imagine teams playing competitive baseball in september and not this triple a crap they've been pushing on us for the last decade plus. 

• Like 1

Yeah the Rosenthal article, if enacted, would drive me insane with how much talent giveaways were to low-revenue teams. Screw them, they get enough. We don't need to give tampa a top 10 pick every year just because they suck at marketing.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It'll never happen. A system like that just doesn't work either. The teams would tank down the stretch because some years getting a top five pick is better than making the playoffs. Also, a team like Arizona wasn't tanking last year. They were just horrible. They deserve the 2nd pick. 

So you think a team would try to miss the playoffs to get a better draft pick? What player on the planet gives a shit about a draft pick that won't even be in the big leagues during their time with the team, and what manager would risk a chance at a World Series for players who won't be on the team when he's there? Players and coaches would never ever tank away a playoff chance down the stretch for a better pick. If you had organizations releasing good players and etc to force a missed playoff chance fans would revolt. 

There are some issues with the idea like your Arizona example, but my goodness would it be a breath of fresh year to stop incentivizing this non-trying method of sports ownership. If you spend more and invest in an 78-80 win team you might be rewarded for at least attempting to put a decent product on the field. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

1. Helps the players

2. Helps the players

3. helps the players in multiple ways (system to keep players on their original team not explained).

4. Two more assists for the players 

5. Reduces impact of rebuilding, maybe a slight help to the players.

6. New playoff revenue. Helps the owners.

Anyone else seeing the issue here?

Except for raising the minimum wage for a couple of players, I don't see anything that will help current Sox players in a meaningful way.  Get more bucks for the guys hampered by qualifying offers along with earlier FA I guess.  Not much incentive for the average ballplayer to want to endure a long sit-out.  I would like to see the minimum raised to something more substantial like 1 million and the team minimum raised substantially in order to have a more equal playing field.  Some reworking of the rules to avoid a Brandt situation and universal DH and I would be good to go.  I am not in favor of changing the playoff format or adding teams for that matter.  We already have teams unable to compete because not operating in substantial markets.  The disparity in payrolls is just plain unfair.  

Zero reason the 9th best team deserves the #1 overall pick. That system would end up permanently burring teams like the Pirates, Orioles, etc.

Baseball needs to adopt similar methods that we see with other leagues. The lottery would be interesting for the top 5 or so picks. Also, allow picks to be traded. This one alone would prevent the need to tank a roster for years. The draft's purpose is to give bad/terrible teams a sense of hope for the future, not reward mediocrity or a "just not quite good enough" effort.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Zero reason the 9th best team deserves the #1 overall pick. That system would end up permanently burring teams like the Pirates, Orioles, etc.

It wouldn't come close to doing that.  What it would do is force those teams to actually spend some of the giant pile of money they make instead of simply lining the owners pockets and then crying poor to anyone who will listen.  

• Fire 1