The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I have every confidence that the chairman is saying the same thing right now, that all the owners have to do is hold out long enough and the players will crack.

Say what you want about Jerry, but he is one hell of a negotiator. You almost have to respect his shrewdness. I'm pretty much rooting for the owners so Jerry can put one more feather in his cap before he retires. 

The players are welcome to go and create their own league if they want a bigger piece of the pie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Say what you want about Jerry, but he is one hell of a negotiator. You almost have to respect his shrewdness. I'm pretty much rooting for the owners so Jerry can put one more feather in his cap before he retires. 

The players are welcome to go and create their own league if they want a bigger piece of the pie. 

And Jerry can finally use his non union replacement players. After all, his negotiating in 94 was so smooth that a court stepped in and pointed out that the owners had broken the law.

I’m reminded of the confidence the owners had in creating leverage by not really negotiating through June 2020, the players refused and we ended up with a crappy 60 game season.

Many of these owners are shrewd businessmen who can definitely put together organizations underneath them and help steer lucrative media partnerships and contracts. But unless they own like an airline, it doesn’t mean they have any special talents in this area.

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

I was under the impression that Jerrys voice lost a lot of oomph once Rob Manfred became commissioner, which is why he fought so hard against appointing him commissioner.  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I was under the impression that Jerrys voice lost a lot of oomph once Rob Manfred became commissioner, which is why he fought so hard against appointing him commissioner.  

The supposed reason JR was the only owner to vote against Manfred was that he believed he was too soft towards the players' union.

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Actually, the players forming their own league isn't a bad idea. Then Jerry can own a big, fat, piece of nothing. 

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

I'm pretty sure that last statement is completely false due to the antitrust exemption granted to MLB by Congress.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And Jerry can finally use his non union replacement players. After all, his negotiating in 94 was so smooth that a court stepped in and pointed out that the owners had broken the law.

wahwahwah I hate Jerry.

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I tend to never root for the players in these cases.   Every dollar sucked away from ownership is another dollar sucked away from the support structures of baseball, ie the little guys.  

Every dollar won by the players will ultimately be charged to the fan.  It's naive to think the owners are going to settle for less profit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Every dollar won by the players will ultimately be charged to the fan.  It's naive to think the owners are going to settle for less profit.

It’s much more naive to think that the owners could have raised their prices during the last CBA to make more money and didn’t out of the kindness of their hearts.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If there wasn't a lock out you the owners would have raised the prices on you.

Every team should instead mimic the Falcons, who slashed prices (twice!) and made life easier for fans. Their bottom line went up 15% and fans were happy.

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s much more naive to think that the owners could have raised their prices during the last CBA to make more money and didn’t out of the kindness of their hearts.

Believe what you want...that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

:huh

Maybe I don’t understand this then?  I always thought the CBAs were about the players as a group and their chunk of the overall baseball revenues. 

When a bigger chunk of the pie moves to players…doesn’t that mean by default that the amount of money allocated to anything else is inversely proportional to the gain the players get?  

Like less money for companies to pave parking lots, stadium construction projects, vendors for those construction materials, stadium personnel, vendors for that support stadium personnel, analytics people, trainers, vendors for front office equipment, bonuses and benefits for these people etc.

For you, when a new stadium is built and the geotechs take core samples, maybe once in a while they find something crazy and ask a geologist to take a look…

Don’t all the other wallets get lighter unless ticket prices rise?

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Maybe I don’t understand this then?  I always thought the CBAs were about the players as a group and their chunk of the overall baseball revenues. 

When a bigger chunk of the pie moves to players…doesn’t that mean by default that the amount of money allocated to anything else is inversely proportional to the gain the players get?  

Like less money for companies to pave parking lots, stadium construction projects, vendors for those construction materials, stadium personnel, vendors for that support stadium personnel, analytics people, trainers, vendors for front office equipment, bonuses and benefits for these people etc.

For you, when a new stadium is built and the geotechs take core samples, maybe once in a while they find something crazy and ask a geologist to take a look…

Don’t all the other wallets get lighter unless ticket prices rise?

The Players’ share of revenue has declined substantially over the past 10 years. Has this meant raises for all those other people? Big price drops at the ballpark? 

I can think of one other place that money could go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Players’ share of revenue has declined substantially over the past 10 years. Has this meant raises for all those other people? Big price drops at the ballpark? 

I can think of one other place that money could go.

Obviously to improving minor league conditions!

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's funny when people believe in trickle down 

What I’m saying is the owners aren’t going to take the hit.   Either they cut stuff out or they raise prices, no?  

I mean none of us see the owners becoming Santa Claus all of a sudden and giving up a piece of their pie.  

So either way the regular guy loses.

I appreciate the condescension to try to help me with this issue,  but I’m still confused.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

What I’m saying is the owners aren’t going to take the hit.   Either they cut stuff out or they raise prices, no?  

I mean none of us see the owners becoming Santa Claus all of a sudden and giving up a piece of their pie.  

I appreciate the condescension to try to help me with this issue,  but I’m still confused.  

The thing is, they're going to raise prices regardless.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Dude come on, you are acting like after this CBA that Jerry is gonna have to decide if he has enough money to pave the parking lot.  That's not even sarcasm, you said that