The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I haven’t seen anything from the MLBPA about personally subsidizing everything when prices go up.  Was that announced yet and I missed it?

I’ve been busy reading “Basic Economics”.  Interesting read.  It explains nicely how when one of the costs of producing something goes up, owners usually personally cover the difference instead of raising prices or slashing costs in other areas.  It also says that thinking anything different is called trickle-down.  

Is there a Basic Economics 2: The Keys to Accumulating Zero Wealth coming out anytime soon?

Depends on whether or not it's an elastic good or not.

A good example is the cost borne by producers vs. consumers in the current trade war with China, not to mention the inflationary impacts on prices.

Abstract

A recurrent finding in estimates of the gate demand for sports events is pricing in the inelastic portion of demand. With few exceptions, this finding has either been ignored or (rather poorly) explained away. In this paper, the recurrent outcome is detailed and the explanations given by past authors are...

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25151279

OAKLAND — A’s fans are not happy.

Not only have their team’s dwindling postseason hopes taken a hit this week, season-ticket holders on Wednesday received an email from the team announcing ticket prices for the 2022 season would go up — way up — and that a fan-favorite A’s Access program would not be reinstated. On top of the uncertainty surrounding the team’s future home, the news did not sit well with fans.

Fans vented at the ballpark and on social media, but haven’t heard from A’s president Dave Kaval, who did not respond to requests for comment about the hiked season ticket prices on Thursday and Friday.

“Just crazy to see raised prices that much with no investment in the team, fan experience or commitment to stay,” said Bryan Johansen, a longtime season ticket holder who sits in left field bleachers, who said his season ticket prices jumped from $456 in 2019 to $840 in 2022.

Will MacNeil, a longtime season ticket holder who sits in the right field bleachers, added, “I guess A’s ownership lost a lot of money during the pandemic. I don’t really believe it. But we have a billionaire owner. It really kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth going why is this happening.”

Others wonder if ownership is gouging fans to make up for financial losses during the pandemic. Frequent Coliseum attendees have grown accustomed to higher prices around the ballpark for the 2021 season — higher individual ticket prices, $30 parking and pricey food and beverage options.

“The price hike to me says this about ownership,” Guo said. “They’ve calculated that there are die hard fans that will come no matter what…What possible reason would anyone have to buy season tickets in advance when there is the flexibility of just doing single game tickets next year? Zero benefits. Unless we sign up by October, in which case we get a replica (Matt) Olson jersey. Does that mean he’ll still be on this team next year? We laugh.”

MacNeil saw his prices jump from around $1,100 in 2019 to $2,050 for the entire 2022 season. MacNeil plans to renew his season tickets, but fears the already tiny Coliseum crowds will shrink even more next season as more fans are priced out.

“I know this is going to hurt our fanbase quite a bit as I know it will probably price some people out,” MacNeil said. “Which is a shame. I mean I’m almost priced out with the new prices they’re implementing.”

“A’s Access is very much missed, as $14 beer hurts,” MacNeil said . (for Greg775)

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/24/as-fans-balk-at-season-ticket-price-increases-for-2022/

Edited by caulfield12

I think I've figured out the identity of a couple people here. We always thought Ray Ray was somebody related to Hahn with his water carrying. There was somebody else he may have been too. We were wrong all along.

Ray Ray = Dan Bernstein

Parkman = Julie DiCaro

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I think I've figured out the identity of a couple people here. We always thought Ray Ray was somebody related to Hahn with his water carrying. There was somebody else he may have been too. We were wrong all along.

Ray Ray = Dan Bernstein

Parkman = Julie DiCaro

Going to have to report this to mods for malicious libel and slander...especially the Parkman one. 

Not sure you will receive the desired reaction from Ray Ray, however.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Going to have to report this to mods for malicious libel and slander...especially the Parkman one. 

Not sure you will receive the desired reaction from Ray Ray, however.

I’m offended he didn’t liken me to the fictional characters of The 40 Year Old Virgin or Brick Tamland.

2dyot4.jpg

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/mlb-lockout-creating-strange-dynamic-for-players-teams?fbclid=IwAR2pi6BDBeMMGrbIT7f9q-lTvHd_nJxOPisHpE7pScOkan7dk2eejBZmvFQ

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but this is an interesting story on the awkward dynamic that is being created by the lockout between players and teams. Giolito is highlighted in the story. Some quotes:

Lucas Giolito: "Ethan is like family to me. I’ve known him since I was 15 years old," Giolito told FOX Sports. "Beyond baseball, he is a very, very close friend of mine. He was at my wedding; I was at his. And I just think it’s strange and unfortunate that because of the lockout, he’s being told he’s not allowed to talk to me or any of the other guys." 

Charlie Morton: "Nothing would happen to me. I wouldn’t get in trouble [for reaching out], but I’ve gotten the sense they’re being told to not communicate with us," Morton said. "I’m also pretty sure I was told I’m not allowed to mail my X-ray disk to the Braves. It’s disappointing to me because we’re working toward the same goal. I like communicating with them."

Lucas Giolito: "I understand we’re dealing with the business side of things now, during the lockout," he said. "I just think it’s unfortunate that personal relationships need to suffer as a result."

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've heard it's much worse than what is being reported.  There's a lot of pettiness and both sides are dug in.  I'm afraid the season won't start on time as it seems both sides are willing to lose a battle to win the war.  

Probably a good thing it isn't being reported...but I am surprised it isn't.

11 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've heard it's much worse than what is being reported.  There's a lot of pettiness and both sides are dug in.  I'm afraid the season won't start on time as it seems both sides are willing to lose a battle to win the war.  

I'm expecting no baseball next year, a sixty game season at the most. I'm taking a very bearish position.

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm expecting no baseball next year, a sixty game season at the most. I'm taking a very bearish position.

If all we get is 60 games...they can play them without me.  It would be fun watching the whole pack of spoiled rich people cut off their noses to spite their faces.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, poppysox said:

If all we get is 60 games...they can play them without me.  It would be fun watching the whole pack of spoiled rich people cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Wait you aren't watching or you are watching.  Please I must know it's very important we all need to know which gauntlet you are throwing down

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If I am the average MLB baseball player making 4.17 million per year...I would be asking myself what's in it for me.  Not much would be my answer.

Are you not watching because of your stance or are you watching because of your stance.  We all need to know.  I just need to know if you are going to be supporting millionaires very important to me 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

If I am the average MLB baseball player making 4.17 million per year...I would be asking myself what's in it for me.  Not much would be my answer.

The problem is that once a union makes major concessions, it will make more in the future. That can affect present and future players. A lockout is a sign of failure on the owners' part. And they are not poor. 

22 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The problem is that once a union makes major concessions, it will make more in the future. That can affect present and future players. A lockout is a sign of failure on the owners' part. And they are not poor. 

What concessions is the union being asked to take?  Sometimes you need to be happy with what you have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

With a selfish me first attitude like that you wouldn't have to worry about being an average MLB baseball player.  You're a bad makeup guy. 

It's not a me-first attitude to know when you and your fellow workers have it good.  I know you think all the good makeup guys support the union.  When a person doesn't agree with you try explaining why he is wrong rather than using name-calling.  

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

What concessions is the union being asked to take?  Sometimes you need to be happy with what you have.

Lmao this is why you get "name called".  This "these guys make a lot they don't need to fight for their rights as workers" shit is absolutely tiresome.  They are fighting for arb rights, minimum salaries, health care during a pandemic, etc

if you are just gonna be obtuse about it then why don't you start your strike of not caring about any of it right now and go elsewhere with your thoughts that the billionaires are the good guys and the players should be happy with what they have

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao this is why you get "name called".  This "these guys make a lot they don't need to fight for their rights as workers" shit is absolutely tiresome.  They are fighting for arb rights, minimum salaries, health care during a pandemic, etc

if you are just gonna be obtuse about it then why don't you start your strike of not caring about any of it right now and go elsewhere with your thoughts that the billionaires are the good guys and the players should be happy with what they have

If the union position was about a higher minimum wage I would support it as I have said before.  This stoppage is more about arbitration than anything else.  The issues being discussed like universal DH and minimum wage could be agreed on in a couple of short meetings.  You will also note that I used the term rich people rather than rich players.  Both sides of this work stoppage are nuts IMO.  You sound like you are the sole arbitrator of what people can say and think on this forum.  If being obtuse means not being in lockstep with every/any union action because they are always in the right...you have me there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

If the union position was about a higher minimum wage I would support it as I have said before.  This stoppage is more about arbitration than anything else.  The issues being discussed like universal DH and minimum wage could be agreed on in a couple of short meetings.  You will also note that I used the term rich people rather than rich players.  Both sides of this work stoppage are nuts IMO.  You sound like you are the sole arbitrator of what people can say and think on this forum.  If being obtuse means not being in lockstep with every/any union action because they are always in the right...you have me there.

Yes this is me, sole arbitrator.  I'm the only one here who called you out for sounding obtuse.  Only me.

👍 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1