The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

The number of players willing to sacrifice a full year of their short careers will be very small indeed.  Those long-term gains you speak of would perhaps benefit future players but not many players who are currently in the system.  Employees frequently accept deals that create different classes of employees for current and future employees.  Employees always seem to vote to improve their current situation rather than strike for future generations.  This has happened in many industries including auto and airlines to name a few.  I just don't believe that the majority of players are feeling badly treated and underpaid.  

You do know that improving current situations improves the situation for future generations vs. stagnation, correct?

46 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Every team has a player rep and 8 players on the executive committee. Scott Boras players are well represented on the executive committee. 

Andrew Miller

Max Scherzer (Boras)

Francisco Lindor

Marcus Semien (Boras)

Zack Britton (Boras)

James Paxton (Boras)

Jason Castro

Gerrit Cole (Boras)

Chris Rose just had a long podcast with Semien, Giolito and Britton

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this were even remotely true, they would have caved to the owners demands months ago and avoided a lockout entirely.

Watch!  It's far more than remotely true.  The Kris Brandt thing is their most legitimate complaint and that affects relatively few people.  Literally, no one from the White Sox has been jerked around over the qualifying time issue.  As a matter of fact...many posters blame the WS for not playing the qualifying time game with Kopech.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Watch!  It's far more than remotely true.  The Kris Brandt thing is their most legitimate complaint and that affects relatively few people.  Literally, no one from the White Sox has been jerked around over the qualifying time issue.  As a matter of fact...many posters blame the WS for not playing the qualifying time game with Kopech.

Even Uncle Tom is impressed by this sellout.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even Uncle Tom is impressed by this sellout.

What sellout are you referring to?  Am I supposed to support employees against employers just because you say so? Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong.  Perhaps you should try to understand the other guy's point of view.  All I hear from you is owners are bad and the players are good kind of claptrap.  By the way...this Uncle Tom nonsense is for people unable to defend their point of view.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

What sellout are you referring to?  Am I supposed to support employees against employers just because you say so? Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong.  Perhaps you should try to understand the other guy's point of view.  All I hear from you is owners are bad and the players are good kind of claptrap.  By the way...this Uncle Tom nonsense is for people unable to defend their point of view.

So wait, is it that the players aren't tough enough to wait out the owners, or are you actually trying to suggest that the players don't have a point in what they are pursuing?  Because if it he the latter, Uncle Tom is probably too soft of a description of your stance. 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So wait, is it that the players aren't tough enough to wait out the owners, or are you actually trying to suggest that the players don't have a point in what they are pursuing?  Because if it he the latter, Uncle Tom is probably too soft of a description of your stance. 

Assume the latter is true.  Go ahead, give us your description of his stance in that case.

53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This isn't really true. It was more than implied that they would play these games with Eloy and Robert if they didn't sign those extensions before their respective debut seasons started. 

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who said anything about tough enough?  I am saying that most players have little to gain by going to the mat over the arbitration issue that unfairly screwed over Kris Brandt.  I think some language can fix that issue since it happens very infrequently.  As I have said many times...most of these issues like universal DH are going to be passed with little opposition.  Ironically...the biggest injustice I see in baseball is in minor league compensation and living conditions.  This work stoppage has nothing to do with fixing that situation.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

and regardless of how often that loophole is exercised, it needs to be closed if only for the reason that it robs the fans who spend money on this god forsaken league of watching this sport at its best.

No one is saying it shouldn't be closed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Who said anything about tough enough?  I am saying that most players have little to gain by going to the mat over the arbitration issue that unfairly screwed over Kris Brandt.  I think some language can fix that issue since it happens very infrequently.  As I have said many times...most of these issues like universal DH are going to be passed with little opposition.  Ironically...the biggest injustice I see in baseball is in minor league compensation and living conditions.  This work stoppage has nothing to do with fixing that situation.

Compensation is ALWAYS the number 1 issue.  It's the number one issue here.  It is the reason that the owners locked out the players.  The owners do not want to give up the gains they have obtained over recent years.  The players want to clawback some of what they have lost, and maybe even get a bigger piece of the pie then what they even historically had.

The other things are derivations of the compensation issue.

And its right here if you don't want to believe me.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/2021-leaguewide-player-payroll-reportedly-down-4-relative-to-2019.html

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Compensation is ALWAYS the number 1 issue.  It's the number one issue here.  It is the reason that the owners locked out the players.  The owners do not want to give up the gains they have obtained over recent years.  The players want to clawback some of what they have lost, and maybe even get a bigger piece of the pie then what they even historically had.

The other things are derivations of the compensation issue.

And its right here if you don't want to believe me.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/2021-leaguewide-player-payroll-reportedly-down-4-relative-to-2019.html

I give up...the lockout will go on indefinitely.  Thanks for the enlightenment.  

• Haha 1

I give up...the lockout will go on indefinitely.  Thanks for the enlightenment.  

This is such an odd bridge to die on.  No one has said this, but you.  Apparently it is either settle now, or go on forever?  You said the players didn't have any real legitimate reasons to be fighting for more gains, and yet when shown exactly why, this is the reaction.  And you wonder why you got the response you did earlier.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is such an odd bridge to die on.  No one has said this, but you.  Apparently it is either settle now, or go on forever?  You said the players didn't have any real legitimate reasons to be fighting for more gains, and yet when shown exactly why, this is the reaction.  And you wonder why you got the response you did earlier.

I didn't say anything about legitimate reasons to fight for more gains.  I have said repeatedly that "the average player" feels well paid IMO and doesn't want to miss very many paychecks.  This sitting out the year crap is just not going to happen.  No one is dying on any bridge that I know of.  I have stated my view until I have no other way to state it.  Come back when the lock-out ends.  In my view, it will be sooner than you think.

• Haha 1

I didn't say anything about legitimate reasons to fight for more gains.  I have said repeatedly that "the average player" feels well paid IMO and doesn't want to miss very many paychecks.  This sitting out the year crap is just not going to happen.  No one is dying on any bridge that I know of.  I have stated my view until I have no other way to state it.  Come back when the lock-out ends.  In my view, it will be sooner than you think.

Literally no one except you has said sit out the entire year.

And what you have said about the players positions, speaks very clearly on what you think of it.