The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If we are being honest - 2020 is sort of a half credit, since the playoffs were expanded there making it so a below .500 team could make it.

But at the same time, the White Sox should have 2 more years where they are a serious playoff threat.

Under the regular rules, the Sox would have been the second Wild Card team in 2020. They only had a lower seed than the second place East and West teams because they finished third in their division.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Under the regular rules, the Sox would have been the second Wild Card team in 2020. They only had a lower seed than the second place East and West teams because they finished third in their division.

Yeah, but could that team have stayed in the race all 162 with how their pitching staff was crumbling?

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, but could that team have stayed in the race all 162 with how their pitching staff was crumbling?

Yeah that I'm not sure about. I was just referring to your initial comment about how most teams made it in anyway so it only counts for half credit. Nothing about the shortened season.

18 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Look, if you want to be a RH-stan, that's cool. But to the bolded, why should we celebrate something that's pretty commonplace elsewhere in MLB?

Thinking of small-pocketed orgs, the Rays won the ALE "back to back," despite having a fraction of the financial might that their division enemies have/had. Oh, and BTW, they're on a back to back to back [yes, THREE postseason appearances] streak, despite having fewer resources than the SOX.

Or Oakland, who made the playoffs three times in a row out of the ALW, despite having fewer resources?

See, we had to sit and watch the shitshow that included:

• 7 consecutive losing seasons,
  • cavalcades of bad [Samardzjia trade] and dumb [shields trade],
  • being mired in mediocrity,
  • as well as a deep tank to top it all off.

I think we as a fandom can and should demand better out of an org that really should be DOMINANT in a division that has neither a top FO, nor deep-pocketed, large market enemy. 

But hey, if you want to fall all over yourself and throw platitudes at RH/KW, despite their multitude of fuckups, be my guest. I also recognize how "WSI" it is for you to feel so personally hurt about anyone not doing the same. YMMV.

The irony here is this is coming from a guy that has been here since 2016 and has made over 1,300 posts on this website. 

This is what the Sox have looked like since you arrived at this site:

2016: 78-84

2017: 67-95

2018: 62-100

2019: 72-89

2020: 35-25 (Made Playoffs)

2021: 93-69 (Won Division)

If you're still this angry in 2022....then the jokes on you, sparkles. Don't like the team? Aren't happy? Fucking leave. No one is forcing you to root for the team. I was arguably a bigger Blackhawks fan than White Sox fan, and I haven't watched a second of them and don't have any plans to in the future. I've moved on from a franchise I no longer believe in. 

I'm telling you everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows. You want to complain? Fine. But every single post? Find a new hobby, and quick. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

I read an article where the owners are supposed to offer something major to the players. We will see if this is true and how credible the offer is. But if there isn't a break in the negotiations soon, I don't see how see the season starts on time. They need to at least start talking. The 1994 strategy of stonewalling is not going to work.

• Thanks 1

I often wonder if the players are against the new tendency to use one inning openers to start games, which usually means 7-10 pitchers used in that game?  And, if they are against it, is this an issue in the work stoppage?

Same question with excessive use of shifts.

I hate both strategies, especially the one inning openers.  If the players want to change this, I'm with them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldsox said:

I often wonder if the players are against the new tendency to use one inning openers to start games, which usually means 7-10 pitchers used in that game?  And, if they are against it, is this an issue in the work stoppage?

Same question with excessive use of shifts.

I hate both strategies, especially the one inning openers.  If the players want to change this, I'm with them.

I don't think this is something that needs to be discussed in the CBA. I think those things are dicussions teams need to have individually, internally, with their own coaches and players.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, NWINFan said:

I read an article where the owners are supposed to offer something major to the players. We will see if this is true and how credible the offer is. But if there isn't a break in the negotiations soon, I don't see how see the season starts on time. They need to at least start talking. The 1994 strategy of stonewalling is not going to work.

Can you share the article?

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Can you share the article?

Sorry, don't remember exactly where I saw it. The tone of the piece was the owners were going to offer something that the players could respond to, and the overall perspective was on the positive side. However, I haven't seen anything else in the media that backs this story up. Regardless. the players would have to have time to respond. If they counter-offer, then the owners will have to think things over. To me, it appears that spring training will not start on time, and the regular season will have to be pushed back, too. 

51 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I had saw something saying talks were going to resume soon - but no definition on what soon was. 

I would imagine there will be a meeting within a week under pretty much any circumstances. Even if neither side is ready to give an inch, it’s been a while, a deadline is going to be only a couple weeks away, and you just have to stay in contact if only to repeat everything you already said for the sake of appearances.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, Tony said:

The irony here is this is coming from a guy that has been here since 2016 and has made over 1,300 posts on this website. 

This is what the Sox have looked like since you arrived at this site:

2016: 78-84

2017: 67-95

2018: 62-100

2019: 72-89

2020: 35-25 (Made Playoffs)

2021: 93-69 (Won Division)

If you're still this angry in 2022....then the jokes on you, sparkles. Don't like the team? Aren't happy? Fucking leave. No one is forcing you to root for the team. I was arguably a bigger Blackhawks fan than White Sox fan, and I haven't watched a second of them and don't have any plans to in the future. I've moved on from a franchise I no longer believe in. 

I'm telling you everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows. You want to complain? Fine. But every single post? Find a new hobby, and quick. 

These last two years have broken me as a sports fan. 

I'm struggling to turn it off, but between the Sox, Bears and Hawks they've all given me tons of reasons to never care about sports again. 

I sat through the entire Sox rebuild and I don't think I've ever been as apathetic about the Sox as I was in 2021. I have pretty much given up all hope that the Sox are going to win another title with this ownership group. All I could be reminded of is my formative years as a Sox fan of 2001-2004 where the Sox had a talented team and ownership continually refused to put the team over the top. 

I've tried to continue watching the Hawks despite all of the things going on there but I feel gross. 

The Bears are the living embodiment of the peter principle. 

I have so many other things I enjoy. Why should I waste 3 hrs of my life that I'm not getting back every day on this stuff? 

The younger generation that doesn't give a fuck about sports.....they have something right. There are much better things in life. Why waste our time helping someone else chase their dream? Why don't we all just go chase ours? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

43 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm struggling to turn it off, but between the Sox, Bears and Hawks they've all given me tons of reasons to never care about sports again. 

I sat through the entire Sox rebuild and I don't think I've ever been as apathetic about the Sox as I was in 2021. I have pretty much given up all hope that the Sox are going to win another title with this ownership group. All I could be reminded of is my formative years as a Sox fan of 2001-2004 where the Sox had a talented team and ownership continually refused to put the team over the top. 

I've tried to continue watching the Hawks despite all of the things going on there but I feel gross. 

I have so many other things I enjoy. Why should I waste 3 hrs of my life that I'm not getting back every day on this stuff? 

The younger generation that doesn't give a fuck about sports.....they have something right. There are much better things in life. Why waste our time helping someone else chase their dream? Why don't we all just go chase ours? 

Well, bye.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Leaving out the Bulls to build a narrative 👀

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I quit paying attention to the Bears and the NFL ages ago.  It is quite possible to quit a sports franchise.  I spend zero energy on that sorry team and couldn’t be happier.  Continually threatening to do so while constantly whining on a message board says more about you than it is an indictment of the team.  There are dozens of other sports teams you could invest in, yet you choose to remain miserable.  Log off, flip on the tv, and find your bliss elsewhere, please. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I quit paying attention to the Bears and the NFL ages ago.  It is quite possible to quit a sports franchise.  I spend zero energy on that sorry team and couldn’t be happier.  Continually threatening to do so while constantly whining on a message board says more about you than it is an indictment of the team.  There are dozens of other sports teams you could invest in, yet you choose to remain miserable.  Log off, flip on the tv, and find your bliss elsewhere, please. 

I quit the Blackhawks cold turkey when they let Bobby Hull leave.  I have never watched another game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Were you expecting the Sox to be the 27 Yankees and breeze to multiple championships? Why would a disappointing season break you?

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I quit the Blackhawks cold turkey when they let Bobby Hull leave.  I have never watched another game.

I never understood it either.  Of course, I never understood how they traded Phil Esposito either and often wondered how many goals Bobby would have scored if they just left them together.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

The biggest and dumbest mistake the Black Hawks made. A franchise couldn't have been dumber than this. Now. with another long work stoppage looming in MLB, is Jerry Reinsdorf going to do the same thing? 

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The biggest and dumbest mistake the Black Hawks made. A franchise couldn't have been dumber than this. Now. with another long work stoppage looming in MLB, is Jerry Reinsdorf going to do the same thing? 

I think both sides deserve credit for this and certainly not just JR.  What does the commissioner do to earn his money?  

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

When the Bulls signed Dwayne Wade and Rajon Rondo a few years back it nearly broke me as a Bulls fan.  I didn’t watch a single game until after Butler was traded away.  It it is ok to divorce yourself from a team, permanently or for a season or two.  If they really make you miserable day in and day out, at some point that shit is on you.