The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

39 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No exaggeration. The market forces on wages are all downward. Businesses aren't charities. If they can get the job done for less they will and they will be more "successful". Wages go up because a business can't hire and retain qualified employees at their current levels. 

Additionally, any gains made by players will be paid for by fans.  Business plans don't generally call for making fewer profits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Additionally, any gains made by players will be paid for by fans.  Business plans don't generally call for making fewer profits.

So the owners could be making more money right now by raising prices on these fans but aren’t? I thought their plans don’t call for lower profits?

18 hours ago, Texsox said:

@Balta1701 I don't think either side is concerned about the fans, MiLB, employees, etc. Each side is looking out for their best interest and trying to make it look as pretty as possible. If anyone else does actually benefit, it's a accidental bonus. 

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

For once I agree with everything you wrote here.

Same. 

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So the owners could be making more money right now by raising prices on these fans but aren’t? I thought their plans don’t call for lower profits?

Yep...it's a balancing act of charging what the market will bear and breaking the camel's back.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Yep...it's a balancing act of charging what the market will bear and breaking the camel's back.  

Oh so you mean that the owners can't arbitrarily decide to increase their prices because their labor costs go up, as the market may push back against those price increases? Fascinating. That totally disagrees with what you said earlier. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh so you mean that the owners can't arbitrarily decide to increase their prices because their labor costs go up, as the market may push back against those price increases? Fascinating. That totally disagrees with what you said earlier. 

Reread my posts.  Don't try to put words in my mouth.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Reread my posts.  Don't try to put words in my mouth.

Which is it, is it a balancing act or can businesses just decide that they don't have to worry about lower profits when their labor costs change? 

(Narrator: it was, in fact, a balancing act. That statement was correct and the previous one was wrong).

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which is it, is it a balancing act or can businesses just decide that they don't have to worry about lower profits when their labor costs change? 

(Narrator: it was, in fact, a balancing act. That statement was correct and the previous one was wrong).

You just keep reading them...it will all become clear after you get over the nitpick bs.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

You just keep reading them...it will all become clear after you get over the nitpick bs.

If a businesses labor costs rise, and it raises costs on its customers, there will be:

a. a decrease in sales
b. an increase in sales
c. no change

Just now, poppysox said:

Do you ever side with management in a labor dispute?

I suppose its possible I could, but given the state of labor relations in this country and how far out of balance it has gotten in favor of employers everywhere I doubt I will see such a case any time soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I suppose its possible I could, but given the state of labor relations in this country and how far out of balance it has gotten in favor of employers everywhere I doubt I will see such a case any time soon.

Did you side with the CPS teachers in the last strike?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Your bias is keeping you from seeing reality in this case.  There is no little guy or a nice guy trying to earn a living for his family in this case.  Robin Hood would not be in the least interest in getting involved in this clash of the wealthy IMO.  I can assure you that not all employees feel underappreciated or under-compensated.  Actually, most employees are doing just fine for themselves without a union.  A union is most helpful to the underperforming employee and helps him get the wage of the best employees IMO.  I am admittedly biased in favor of starting the season on time.  

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Your bias is keeping you from seeing reality in this case.  There is no little guy or a nice guy trying to earn a living for his family in this case.  Robin Hood would not be in the least interest in getting involved in this clash of the wealthy IMO.  I can assure you that not all employees feel underappreciated or under-compensated.  Actually, most employees are doing just fine for themselves without a union.  A union is most helpful to the underperforming employee and helps him get the wage of the best employees IMO.  I am admittedly biased in favor of starting the season on time.  

This is just blatantly wrong. If you look at national polls, there's an overwhelming sentiment of workers being underpaid and overworked.

Employers demand a monopoly on their employees time. That's why we need unions.  

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is just blatantly wrong. If you look at national polls, there's an overwhelming sentiment of workers being underpaid and overworked.

Employers demand a monopoly on their employees time. That's why we need unions.  

Lighten up...you will be a lot happier.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

Is there any empirical data to support  the assertion that most employees ( i.e. blue collar/service industry/public sector) are doing fine without a union?  I'd really like to see it.

It has to be true, otherwise people would just be quitting their jobs in droves. 

• Like 3