The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because I am a believer in fair labor relations and oppose unfair labor practices when I see them.

Whatever helps you to enjoy the game. I believe about 98% of American workers have it worse than baseball players, but I guess they need someone to stick up for them.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Whatever helps you to enjoy the game. I believe about 98% of American workers have it worse than baseball players, but I guess they need someone to stick up for them.

So I assume you will be boycotting all baseball until all the employees are unionized?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So I assume you will be boycotting all baseball until all the employees are unionized?

There are no unions allowed in Texas…well, actually 9th least unionized in the US.

“Texas' status as a “right-to-work” state means union membership isn't compulsory — not illegal. That said, Texas is one of only a handful of states that denies collective bargaining to public employees. So our employment contracts generally are dictated to us by our local school boards.“

8 hours ago, pcq said:

Look up MLB revenue and you see how the owners are taking advantage. Salaries are down while revenue went up strongly since 2019. 

This…doesn’t seem true? Something slightly odd happened in the year after 2019 that is important for revenue.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think it just means compare 2019 and 2021, not comparing 2019 through 2021.

I think 2021 was still down. Lots of teams had attendance restrictions early in the year, including the White Sox. There is probably an expectation that 2022 returns to the pre-COVID revenue trend (assuming an agreement happens and no games are lost).

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Then the owners will need time to respond. Unless something dramatic happens, I don't see the season opening on time.

Eh, I'm sure they've already considered every scenario players could propose and worked through what they are going to press for vs ease up on, they'll take days to respond because they think it's awesome to do. Eventually as deadlines come down the hands will get revealed. I do think the players need to prioritize a bit more on what is most important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Eh, I'm sure they've already considered every scenario players could propose and worked through what they are going to press for vs ease up on, they'll take days to respond because they think it's awesome to do. Eventually as deadlines come down the hands will get revealed. I do think the players need to prioritize a bit more on what is most important.

Yes, get a little victory on a couple of the important issues, and keep everything else as status quo as possible. They aren't going to get it all at once. If they insist, they will get nothing.

24 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Then the owners will need time to respond. Unless something dramatic happens, I don't see the season opening on time.

We've got at least a month before Opening Day is in jeopardy IMO.  A shortened spring training by a couple weeks isn't going to impact OD. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I am genuinely surprised that it took the players this long to have a response ready, even given a holiday. I wonder if there was genuine debate amongst them how to respond to that last proposal - maybe some of them wanting to respond in a way that shows they felt disrespected by the offer.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I am genuinely surprised that it took the players this long to have a response ready, even given a holiday. I wonder if there was genuine debate amongst them how to respond to that last proposal - maybe some of them wanting to respond in a way that shows they felt disrespected by the offer.

Both sides move slowly thinking time is on their side.  After receiving this response the owners will take over a week to respond.  One big frustrating game.  Once we hit mid-February things will heat up and it will take two or three days to hammer out what could have happened months ago.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Both sides move slowly thinking time is on their side.  After receiving this response the owners will take over a week to respond.  One big frustrating game.  Once we hit mid-February things will heat up and it will take two or three days to hammer out what could have happened months ago.

Well, a week would still be an improvement over 43 days.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There is always some kind of debate when it comes to negotiations like this. There are different factions within each side, and this can slow things down. Not being an insider, it is almost impossible for me to know how unified each side is. In addition to complex negotiating, there is the political situation. Maybe the season can still start on time, but until there are signs of real movement, I am not optimistic. We will see how stubborn each side is.