The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Absolutely, if by raising salaries you also improve the quality of employee that you receive. 

Person 1: makes $10 per hour, produces 1 widget per hour. Cost per widget: $10.
Person 2: Makes $15 per hour, produces 2 widgets per hour. Cost per widget: $7.50. 

Here's a Big Mac/Cheeseburger breakdown:

Yes, they get pricier, but not much. Wages however, go WAY up.

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/why-big-mac-costs-more-seattle-austin

The other factor is franchisees are paying for real estate, thus raising costs in higher cost of living areas.

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

I don't agree with this. In baseball, more than any other sport, a bad team can beat a good team on any given day.

Mediocre teams don't belong in the playoffs. I am one fan who won't buy into this con.

I thought we had playoffs to determine who the better or lesser teams are. It seems if a "mediocre" team wins a playoff series from a "superior" team, one of those team's ratings were wrong. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

But you do want playoffs? Why more than two teams? 

I enjoy an upset. I don't mind if the lesser team prevails. 

Of course, I want playoffs, but I don't want mediocre teams participating. I don't care about upsets.

Like I said, it's all a con. Owners don't have to invest in building a great team when everybody and his brother gets in. Yes, get some team winning the mid-80's in, and the owner can tell what great things he did for you. Not only is second place great, but so is third.

You must know that this is nothing but a making money easy scheme. Superior teams belong in the playoffs. Shit teams need to stay home. The owners can go to hell.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Of course, I want playoffs, but I don't want mediocre teams participating. I don't care about upsets.

Like I said, it's all a con. Owners don't have to invest in building a great team when everybody and his brother gets in. Yes, get some team winning the mid-80's in, and the owner can tell what great things he did for you. Not only is second place great, but so is third.

You must know that this is nothing but a making money easy scheme. Superior teams belong in the playoffs. Shit teams need to stay home. The owners can go to hell.

And the players on that 85 win team can go to hell instead of playing in a playoff series. Better they tank and win 60. 

Drop eight games from the regular season, they are meaningless anyways, and add another round of playoffs. I'd much rather watch playoff baseball at the end of September than meaningless regular season crap. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So how many people quit watching the NCAA tournament because 68 teams get in?

I quit watching NCAA because I don’t like watching shitty basketball players pass it around the 3 point line for 30 seconds every possession and call it “running a play”. 😂

13 hours ago, Texsox said:

And the players on that 85 win team can go to hell instead of playing in a playoff series. Better they tank and win 60. 

Drop eight games from the regular season, they are meaningless anyways, and add another round of playoffs. I'd much rather watch playoff baseball at the end of September than meaningless regular season crap. 

Things people on a White Sox message board write by instinct:

”September baseball is meaningless crap”.

• Haha 1

I get the apprehension of adding teams to the playoff field that may be deemed unworthy, but I am fairly sure in 2020 when it was expanded, the last couple weeks of the season were kind of crazy with teams in and out of the field.  Now I get some people don't like that,  but some really like that kind of chaos where the stakes are higher.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

oiAnd the players on that 85 win team can go to hell instead of playing in a playoff series. Better they tank and win 60. 

There are plenty of meaningful games in September under the current system. I think you've been used to watching the White Sox go through their meaningless September crap which they did plenty of during the last decade.

No, I don't want tanking. But there will be a form of tanking when owners realized they really don't have to put together solid teams when an average team can go to the playoffs. Then they can tell their fans what a great job they did.

I agree that the regular season needs to be shorter. The playoffs don't need to be longer. That will make MLB look like the inane NBA.

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Lol. But you are still in favor of expanded playoffs? 

People like myself favor a balanced schedule and the team with the best record goes to the WS.  I favor this format because it is the fair method of selecting the most deserving team to represent each league.  The playoff system with division champs, etc. is favored by those that want lots of teams in the hunt for as long as possible.  The second group wins because it makes more money.  I am resigned to the fact that I won't win this battle for the obvious reason.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

People like myself favor a balanced schedule and the team with the best record goes to the WS.  I favor this format because it is the fair method of selecting the most deserving team to represent each league.  The playoff system with division champs, etc. is favored by those that want lots of teams in the hunt for as long as possible.  The second group wins because it makes more money.  I am resigned to the fact that I won't win this battle for the obvious reason.

What do you do about interleague play in a balanced schedule?

20 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

There are plenty of meaningful games in September under the current system. I think you've been used to watching the White Sox go through their meaningless September crap which they did plenty of during the last decade.

No, I don't want tanking. But there will be a form of tanking when owners realized they really don't have to put together solid teams when an average team can go to the playoffs. Then they can tell their fans what a great job they did.

I agree that the regular season needs to be shorter. The playoffs don't need to be longer. That will make MLB look like the inane NBA.

I don't have the data in front of me, but it feels like the top teams in the NBA win WAY more often than in MLB.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Get rid of it.  I'll take my interleague play in the WS.

They're never getting rid of interleague play.  

Play each team in the other league 2 games home and away (60 games).

Play each team in your division 8 times; 4 home and 4 away (32 games)

Play other teams in each league 7 times; 4 game series and 3 games series rotating H/A annually.  (70 games)

As close to a balanced schedule as you can get. I wouldn't be opposed. Will never happen though.  Way more 2 game series, way more flying around the country.  

• Like 2

Idk, if we wanted to trim the playoffs so much than we might not have gotten an opportunity to see a team from the worst division upset LAD and HOU to win a title. Yes the NL east would always have a playoff team but if they went back to the old format with 1 division only? No Atlanta, I think. 

LAD will always win the most games in this era, lower the amount of playoff competitors and they are far more likely to win more championships, thus further showing that assertion of economic power for front office and on field talent is the best way to win games. Didnt we all get tired of that during the era of New York Yankees baseball? 

Fuck that, expand playoffs, let some teams in and see if they get hot at the right time. Getting hot isnt just a thing that randomly happens and if it does than the other team got robbed, it takes cohesion has a group and everyone pulling from the same rope in the most intense games of your lives. We are all aware of what that can look like in the playoffs. What if the Cleveland did catch up but the Sox still won 90ish games and we didnt get to see how special it can be when a team gets hot at the right time? Why shouldn't a team that won 90 games.. a pretty damn good record, not have a chance to defend that title? If they lost 90 games sure but the 2006 Sox still had a good year and didnt get to try and defend.

Every once in awhile, it may occur that a team who loses more games than they win make it in, but I think I analyzed it awhile back and in some expanded formats, it allowed mostly just teams who won more games than they lost in, which isnt necessarily a bad thing IMO. 

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Idk, if we wanted to trim the playoffs so much than we might not have gotten an opportunity to see a team from the worst division upset LAD and HOU to win a title. Yes the NL east would always have a playoff team but if they went back to the old format with 1 division only? No Atlanta, I think. 

LAD will always win the most games in this era, lower the amount of playoff competitors and they are far more likely to win more championships, thus further showing that assertion of economic power for front office and on field talent is the best way to win games. Didnt we all get tired of that during the era of New York Yankees baseball? 

Fuck that, expand playoffs, let some teams in and see if they get hot at the right time. Getting hot isnt just a thing that randomly happens and if it does than the other team got robbed, it takes cohesion has a group and everyone pulling from the same rope in the most intense games of your lives. We are all aware of what that can look like in the playoffs. What if the Cleveland did catch up but the Sox still won 90ish games and we didnt get to see how special it can be when a team gets hot at the right time? Why shouldn't a team that won 90 games.. a pretty damn good record, not have a chance to defend that title? If they lost 90 games sure but the 2006 Sox still had a good year and didnt get to try and defend.

Every once in awhile, it may occur that a team who loses more games than they win make it in, but I think I analyzed it awhile back and in some expanded formats, it allowed mostly just teams who won more games than they lost in, which isnt necessarily a bad thing IMO. 

One nice thing about "10 teams in the playoffs" is that most years that puts the dividing line right around 90 wins. Some years (2021 Dodgers) it winds up letting in a team that has an insane number of wins, and every now and then you see 85 or 86 get that second wild card but not often.

Yes it is about money. The per player/personel share is close to $300,000 most years. That's a nice check for most players and members of the organization. But I can see the point that the players are already earning a lot of money so why pay them more by adding teams into the playoffs.

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They're never getting rid of interleague play.  

Play each team in the other league 2 games home and away (60 games).

Play each team in your division 8 times; 4 home and 4 away (32 games)

Play other teams in each league 7 times; 4 game series and 3 games series rotating H/A annually.  (70 games)

As close to a balanced schedule as you can get. I wouldn't be opposed. Will never happen though.  Way more 2 game series, way more flying around the country.  

I stated in an earlier post that it can't happen because of money.  Just my preference.

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Odd number of teams in each league so can’t do that. Unless you move one team to the other league or add 2 new teams to the MLB.

Why can't the team with the most wins in each league play each other in the WS?  We did it for 100 years.