The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If the NL plays a balanced schedule against each NL team...one of them will have the best record.  Same with the AL.  

But with odd number of teams in each league, there is a team that doesn’t play for a few days without making changes. I don’t know how you’re not grasping this concept haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

But with odd number of teams in each league, there is a team that doesn’t play for a few days without making changes. I don’t know how you’re not grasping this concept haha

You'll figure it out in time.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So let me get this straight, you believe with no changes right now, with 15 teams in each league, they can do away with inter league play? You’re clearly not understanding why this does not work haha

I believe that if the WS played their 14 rivels 12 games each that would require 168 games.  Since the WS would be 7 games or 9 or 11 whatever...the total # of games would be in the neighborhood of today's 162+3 or 5 +7.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, poppysox said:

I believe that if the WS played their 14 rivels 12 games each that would require 168 games.  Since the WS would be 7 games or 9 or 11 whatever...the total # of games would be in the neighborhood of today's 162+3 or 5 +7.  

How do 15 teams play at the same time? One team would not have an opponent. You need an even number of teams in each league.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How do 15 teams play at the same time? One team would not have an opponent. You need an even number of teams in each league.

Playing at the same time was something I didn't worry about initially because I was simply saying I like the old way of a balanced schedule to arrive at an AL or NL champion.  It is obviously easier to work around even #'s but not impossible IMO.  I have no desire to keep up this silly back and forth because it isn't going to happen under any circumstance.  Half the problems that are trying to be solved about non-competitive balance are because we have too many teams from small market cities.

• Haha 1

It's an interesting idea in a time when we don't have much else to discuss. 

Would having a three or four day break during the regular season be such a bad thing? A 16/14 split could work but the balanced schedule would look different in both leagues. Which I'm ok with, I liked it when each league had a distinct feel. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Would having a three or four day break during the regular season be such a bad thing? A 16/14 split could work but the balanced schedule would look different in both leagues. Which I'm ok with, I liked it when each league had a distinct feel. 

There was talk of expansion prior to Covid so if they eventually add two teams, each league could have 16 teams. Still, I don't think they would do away with interleague play. I would keep it consistent though and just have it be the same every year (ALC vs NLC, ALE vs NLE, etc.). There probably have to be some re-alignment to make it work though.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There was talk of expansion prior to Covid so if they eventually add two teams, each league could have 16 teams. Still, I don't think they would do away with interleague play. I would keep it consistent though and just have it be the same every year (ALC vs NLC, ALE vs NLE, etc.). There probably have to be some re-alignment to make it work though.

Expansion talk sucks because they really haven't even grown the game in all of the cities that are currently occupied.  Miami got a new stadium, nobody cares. Even with 2 titles, nobody cares.  Diamondbacks are currently in a stadium that is apparently not desirable to them anymore and needs a lot of repair work done, plus nobody cares about the team either. The Rockies owner is complaining he doesn't have the money to run his team.  Tampa is literally a World Series contender for the last 5-10 years and can't even get people in the building for a World Series game.

Three out of the last four expansion teams struggling with attendance, and they want to add more teams to what will probably be a smaller city compared to the current array of cities.  Just stupid.  They need to start by letting the entire United States see the games they want to see, then they can add more teams when the interest level jumps.  But nah, gotta push that cart before the horse 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Yes, major league baseball’s regular season is supposed to be a marathon. You play almost every day, and get one break for the all star game. That’s both part of the challenge and part of the fun. I can sit down every weekend and know the White Sox will have a game that day if I want to put it on.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, major league baseball’s regular season is supposed to be a marathon. You play almost every day, and get one break for the all star game. That’s both part of the challenge and part of the fun. I can sit down every weekend and know the White Sox will have a game that day if I want to put it on.

Good point. 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What do you think the impact of increasing payrolls and getting their players to free agency quicker will be for those teams?

The players dropped the requests for earlier free agency in their most recent proposal.

In terms of increasing payrolls, I think it’s extremely important that baseball forces those teams to do that. They are getting $100 million in revenue sharing before they sell a single ticket and then putting out teams full of AA ball players while the owners are pocketing the difference. This is a big reason why those franchises have no one caring.

To build a fan base with an expansion team, you need to get people interested and keep them interested for years, make it something they live with and grow up with. One wild card appearance every five years is a franchise no one cares about. 20k will go to the games, but the franchise will never grow interest. A minimum salary where they pay some of their own players more, where the “losing on purpose” strategy is less profitable, and where there are new strategies to building a team like sending along bad contracts in trades more often would be a benefit to baseball as a whole.

Your owners pocketing those big profits is great for them, bad for fans, bad for those franchises long term, and bad for baseball as a whole. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The players dropped the requests for earlier free agency in their most recent proposal.

In terms of increasing payrolls, I think it’s extremely important that baseball forces those teams to do that. They are getting $100 million in revenue sharing before they sell a single ticket and then putting out teams full of AA ball players while the owners are pocketing the difference. This is a big reason why those franchises have no one caring.

To build a fan base with an expansion team, you need to get people interested and keep them interested for years, make it something they live with and grow up with. One wild card appearance every five years is a franchise no one cares about. 20k will go to the games, but the franchise will never grow interest. A minimum salary where they pay some of their own players more, where the “losing on purpose” strategy is less profitable, and where there are new strategies to building a team like sending along bad contracts in trades more often would be a benefit to baseball as a whole.

Your owners pocketing those big profits is great for them, bad for fans, bad for those franchises long term, and bad for baseball as a whole. 

Agreed. 

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

Why can't the team with the most wins in each league play each other in the WS?  We did it for 100 years.

66 years, from 1903 to 1969.

Before that...it's messy. The Top record in the NL (formed in 1871) was champion. Then the American Association played them in a pseudo-World Series from 1884 to 1890. Two of those were ties. From 1894 to 1897 runner up played the first place. Again in 1900.

In 1902, the closest thing to a championship was a football game between the Philadelphia A's (managed by Connie Mack) and the Philadelphia Phillies.

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

Why can't the team with the most wins in each league play each other in the WS?  We did it for 100 years.

You want to eliminate playoffs entirely in favor of the top two winning teams facing off in a WS?  Are you being serious?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I picked 2/8 as the date an agreement would be reached (MLBTR had a contest to predict the date). I am not optimistic on that pick.

Unless both sides lock themselves in a room to hammer it out over the next week+, and there seems to be zero sense of urgency from the owners, spring training definitely isn't starting on time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Unless both sides lock themselves in a room to hammer it out over the next week+, and there seems to be zero sense of urgency from the owners, spring training definitely isn't starting on time.

Yeah. It was cool they talked earlie this week but in all honesty, nothing was accomplished.