The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Just now, Chimpton said:

Just a quick question from a position of ignorance! Does a potential work stoppage affect whether sides will sign free agents or do trades or delay it?

Little bit in the middle.  Some agents want to wait with big ticket players to see how the CBA shakes out, but then you have teams like the tigers signing Tucker Barnhart today 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Has nothing to do with what you are saying 

Use common sense. It should be expected that owners are willing to take minor losses to maximize championship windows and recoup those losses during the lean/average years. 

Owners should be doing everything possible to maximize championship windows. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

They have evolved into rich people's plaything. We can agree to disagree on this. It's not worth it. 

If the owners aren't willing to run the team with the sole purpose of winning championships then they have no business being a sports franchise owner. The goal in sports is to win championships, not make a profit. 

I'll agree to live in reality you can agree to do whatever you want but you're off on this. 

34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Little bit in the middle.  Some agents want to wait with big ticket players to see how the CBA shakes out, but then you have teams like the tigers signing Tucker Barnhart today 

Tigers traded for Barnhart. 

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I'll agree to live in reality you can agree to do whatever you want but you're off on this. 

Tigers traded for Barnhart. 

I'd like to live in a world where all 30 teams are trying to win the World Series each and every season. 

It's the commissioners job to choose owners that way. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Just a quick question from a position of ignorance! Does a potential work stoppage affect whether sides will sign free agents or do trades or delay it?

My mistake on Barnhart, but some teams do sign players prior to a work stoppage

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

My mistake on Barnhart, but some teams do sign players prior to a work stoppage

Apparently it is in fact possible for teams to do business and sign players even during a work stoppage. It just won't happen very often, not if there's some expectation of large scale changes to salary structurees.

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd like to live in a world where all 30 teams are trying to win the World Series each and every season. 

It's the commissioners job to choose owners that way. 

In actuality, it is the owners' job to choose the commissioner. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, raBBit said:

In actuality, it is the owners' job to choose the commissioner. 

That's not how it should work, or at least it's not how it used to work before Bud Selig. 

The commissioner used to act in the best interest of the sport and was supposed to be impartial but now they've become a shill for ownership in all leagues except the NBA. 

53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not how it should work, or at least it's not how it used to work before Bud Selig. 

The commissioner used to act in the best interest of the sport and was supposed to be impartial but now they've become a shill for ownership in all leagues except the NBA. 

The owners have always chosen new owners, the commissioner is their employee.  Not the other way around.  In every sport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Please substantiate the bolded. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:39 PM, Big Hurtin said:

A. Good

B. I have a feeling that when next summer rolls around, baseball will be one of the last things on most people's minds.

Huh?

Baseball is one of the biggest things in the summer. Pretty sure a lot of people will be thinking about it.

And if you’re referring to some political/other end of the world scenario, come on man.

Edited by staxxington

It’s clear that MLB and the MLBPA remain far apart on core economic concepts, but Drellich and Rosenthal report that the sides have made progress in ancillary bargaining areas and are slated for in-person talks at next week’s general managers meetings. The current CBA expires on December 1, and Drellich wrote earlier this week it’s expected that failure to agree on a new CBA by then would result in a lockout and accompanying transactions freeze. Commissioner Rob Manfred and MLBPA executive director Tony Clark have continued to express hope they’ll reach agreement before that point, but the general tenor on the situation has seemed to skew more pessimistic.

This was probably the most helpful part of that. Looking forward to getting some news this week.

I'd actually like to know from those that were a bit older on that 94 front.

After 2020's very antagonistic negotiations, I figured this would be a very tough CBA that would likely lead to a delay in the season and we all joked about it wiping out a white sox world series team.

I have been surprised how muted the CBA negotiations have been so far.

Should we expect more lines in the sand to develop in december that let us know how serious this will be, or has the relatively ho-hum response so far a good sign? What was it like in the lead-up to 94? Did it seem like it would resolve then just devolved quickly?

It felt like in 2012 nba and some recent nfl lockouts, we all just knew it was coming pretty early on. It feels like things have cooled down a bit on the mlb front.

Am I being too optimistic?

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

After 2020's very antagonistic negotiations, I figured this would be a very tough CBA that would likely lead to a delay in the season and we all joked about it wiping out a white sox world series team.

Should we expect more lines in the sand to develop in december that let us know how serious this will be, or has the relatively ho-hum response so far a good sign? What was it like in the lead-up to 94? Did it seem like it would resolve then just devolved quickly?

It felt like in 2012 nba and some recent nfl lockouts, we all just knew it was coming pretty early on. It feels like things have cooled down a bit on the mlb front.

Since my 11 year old brain didn’t compute what was occurring back then… I found myself asking the same question. Hope someone chimes in. Thanks for asking this.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I was 21 after the 1994 strike, and I didn't go to another game until something like 1998 or 1999.

Typically this ramps up as we get to the deadlines.  It will get very noisy here after Thanksgiving.