Guardians getting sued for the name

southsider2k5

On 10/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, hi8is said:

Should have went back to Spiders.

Spiders is perfect! Just my opinion, but Guardians sounds woke so it was a no brainer to pick that name to please the mob. Cleveland Spiders would have been special. Guardians sounds either a.) mighty woke or b.) like a life insurance company. Me no likey. Spiders forever.

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nah, the joke is your faux outrage in this thread and claiming this trashy chant entering it's 4th decade is "awesome".

It's an embarrassment to the sport, and just another example of why baseball, a great game, continues to lose interest and audience year after year. Young and diverse people MLB gives lip service to trying to attract to stave off dying interest in this sport cringe when they witness this shit. There are no positive connotations continuing with this garbage, same as waving a confederate flag at an auto race.

The chop is awesome though. Black, white, Hispanic, asian fans love doing it. It's great.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Spiders is perfect! Just my opinion, but Guardians sounds woke so it was a no brainer to pick that name to please the mob. Cleveland Spiders would have been special. Guardians sounds either a.) mighty woke or b.) like a life insurance company. Me no likey. Spiders forever.

Why does Guardians sound “woke”?

Asking for a friend.

• Fire 1

So glad this trash has only won one World Series, when they faced an equally karma challenged opponent. They could have done the right thing, changed their team name to the Hammers, replaced the Native American music with MC Hammer, given out hammers for fans to use.

Thirty years later, MLB is still facing the same questions, and have doubled down in the ignorance. MLB had over 30 million viewers for the 1990 World Series against two small market teams (Cincinnati and Oakland). 30 years later, they have a commissioner supporting the racist Chop, handing out "The Piece of Metal", and have lost 2/3 of the audience, with 10 million watching the first two games in 2021 with the seventh and eight largest television markets playing. Cincinnati is 36th, Oakland is 6th only because it is lumped in with San Francisco and Santa Clara, and despite a 1/3 increase in population over the past 30 years.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

So glad this trash has only won one World Series, when they faced an equally karma challenged opponent. They could have done the right thing, changed their team name to the Hammers, replaced the Native American music with MC Hammer, given out hammers for fans to use.

Thirty years later, MLB is still facing the same questions, and have doubled down in the ignorance. MLB had over 30 million viewers for the 1990 World Series against two small market teams (Cincinnati and Oakland). 30 years later, they have a commissioner supporting the racist Chop, handing out "The Piece of Metal", and have lost 2/3 of the audience, with 10 million watching the first two games in 2021 with the seventh and eight largest television markets playing. Cincinnati is 36th, Oakland is 6th only because it is lumped in with San Francisco and Santa Clara, and despite a 1/3 increase in population over the past 30 years.

The Chop is so powerful, it has singlehandedly destroyed interest in baseball. I learn a lot on this board.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

13 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

My hate for the Chop & Chant has nothing to do with Native Americanism. Great for the Florida State Seminoles - sucks for a MLB team. This is baseball not college football. 
Terrible towels and shaking pom-poms is somehow different.

The Chiefs fans do the chop also. I personally don't like the chop. Grown people doing that seems silly and if it offends Native Americans should be eliminated IMO. Life's too short to go around offending people when it could easily be eliminated. I think somebody was saying KC Chiefs could just as easily switch to KC Chefs. Have a baker's hat be the logo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

The Chiefs fans do the chop also. I personally don't like the chop. Grown people doing that seems silly and if it offends Native Americans should be eliminated IMO. Life's too short to go around offending people when it could easily be eliminated. I think somebody was saying KC Chiefs could just as easily switch to KC Chefs. Have a baker's hat be the logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

It's so weird, cause I was told earlier in this thread that only white people did the chop.

You do realize he was a young child, mimicking ignorant adults around him. Imitating trash, who have little to nothing to cling to in life beyond denigrating other races. That's how these "peculiar institutions" and "traditions" linger, coupled the support of owners and the pathetic commissioner who represents them. 

In case you didn't hear, Darren is an adult. Plays for the Nationals. Doesn't get off acting the fool. He is not a child. He knows better. What's your excuse?

• Like 1

MLB isn’t going to be able to stop the chop, but they should come out against it. I am sure when it was started and even today, it was not intended to be offensive, let alone racist. But it is to Native Americans, so stop it. It’s not unlike the Chief in Champaign, I hate the Illini, but I never thought the Chief was offensive, but apparently it was, so the school did the right thing and retired him. They also recently retired something the band used to play at least 20 times a game that was Indian themed. 

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You do realize he was a young child, mimicking ignorant adults around him. Imitating trash, who have little to nothing to cling to in life beyond denigrating other races. That's how these "peculiar institutions" and "traditions" linger, coupled the support of owners and the pathetic commissioner who represents them. 

In case you didn't hear, Darren is an adult. Plays for the Nationals. Doesn't get off acting the fool. He is not a child. He knows better. What's your excuse?

My excuse?  I'm not a Braves fan, so I've never done the chop.  Nor have I ever done it for any other team that might possibly use it.  I also watched the previous WS games I saw people of all likes of color and walks of life doing it.  Never said it made it right, or should be done.  Merely pointing out that to just assume it is a certain type of people only is foolish and wrong.  Nice try though always thinking everyone who isn't you is some sort of monster bigot racist trash.

It honestly has to be exhausting for you to always go and find shit to b**** about.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

MLB isn’t going to be able to stop the chop, but they should come out against it. I am sure when it was started and even today, it was not intended to be offensive, let alone racist. But it is to Native Americans, so stop it. It’s not unlike the Chief in Champaign, I hate the Illini, but I never thought the Chief was offensive, but apparently it was, so the school did the right thing and retired him. They also recently retired something the band used to play at least 20 times a game that was Indian themed. 

Yea, I agree.  Though, I'm not sure how they would enforce that to be honest?  Maybe start by putting it on the jumbo tron and seeing if people take the initiative to stop?  But then what, start kicking people out over it?  Just a shitty situation all around.  I would guess that the only real way to stop it is them not being called the Braves anymore.

13 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Yea, I agree.  Though, I'm not sure how they would enforce that to be honest?  Maybe start by putting it on the jumbo tron and seeing if people take the initiative to stop?  But then what, start kicking people out over it?  Just a shitty situation all around.  I would guess that the only real way to stop it is them not being called the Braves anymore.

No, don’t kick people out for that. Just stop encouraging it. Put on other cheers and let  it die out. If 1/3 of the crowd wants to be racist, I’m happy to judge them until it goes away.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No, don’t kick people out for that. Just stop encouraging it. Put on other cheers and let  it die out. If 1/3 of the crowd wants to be racist, I’m happy to judge them until it goes away.

Do the Braves, in the stadium, do or show anything chop related to get the crowd in to it?  You know, the stuff you might not see just watching the game on TV.  I'm curious cause I don't know, since I've never been to a game there or watch many of their home games to know if they do or not.  If they do, that's obviously the first step to take and then going further to put it on the jumbo screen asking people not to do it.  But still, I'd imagine it would be something that would take a long time to end by doing just that.  I just don't see how they can fully get rid of it unless the team had a different logo entirely.  Time to call themselves the Lumberjacks and swing sideways if that motion is so important to the fans.

5 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Do the Braves, in the stadium, do or show anything chop related to get the crowd in to it?  You know, the stuff you might not see just watching the game on TV.  I'm curious cause I don't know, since I've never been to a game there or watch many of their home games to know if they do or not.  If they do, that's obviously the first step to take and then going further to put it on the jumbo screen asking people not to do it.  But still, I'd imagine it would be something that would take a long time to end by doing just that.  I just don't see how they can fully get rid of it unless the team had a different logo entirely.  Time to call themselves the Lumberjacks and swing sideways if that motion is so important to the fans.

They have a bar called the Coors Light chop house in right field, outside of that not sure how much promotion of the chop there is

395F4520-DC4B-4836-809B-ADFCA786EB26.jpeg

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/28/atlanta-braves-tomahawk-chop-daily-cover

Game 1 of the NLCS featured 14 chops; Game 2, 20; Game 6, 24, including three on consecutive pitches. Roughly half of these were instigated by fans; the rest were team-initiated, complete with music piped over the PA system and graphics splashed across the jumbotron. During each pitching change, the team went so far as to darken the stadium to set the mood, as fans used their cellphones while they chopped to create a racist light show. And the spectacle travels: During Game 4, which Atlanta won 9–2, a few chops broke out at Dodger Stadium.

They also hand out free foam Tomahawks in many games, leaving them on or under the seats, you'll see them in the crowd sometimes (not sure yet if theyr'e doing that for this world series but I did see some in the first inning). They pulled them in the 2019 playoffs after they were called out by a Cardinals pitcher who was a member of the Cherokee Nation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856679-cardinals-ryan-helsley-cherokee-member-braves-tomahawk-chop-disrespectful 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/28/atlanta-braves-tomahawk-chop-daily-cover

They also hand out free foam Tomahawks in many games, leaving them on or under the seats, you'll see them in the crowd sometimes (not sure yet if theyr'e doing that for this world series but I did see some in the first inning). They pulled them in the 2019 playoffs after they were called out by a Cardinals pitcher who was a member of the Cherokee Nation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856679-cardinals-ryan-helsley-cherokee-member-braves-tomahawk-chop-disrespectful 

Then it seems pretty obvious the first step is the team not doing it or promoting it.  Again, won't be easy from there to stop the fans from doing it on their own.  But yea, sounds like the team itself does it most of the time and not the fans, like the wave for example.

13 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

With most of these dumb names and traditions now in the dustbin of history, the few that remain will only become nastier—symbols of pathetic “defiance” and vessels for a particular kind of aggrieved white-guy rage.  Can’t wait for it to be retired, which it will be eventually.

Only “white guys” have rage ?