Guardians getting sued for the name

southsider2k5

If you look at the roller derby team's website it appears the last existence of an actual team was in summer 2018.  No attempt to recruit a team, post a schedule, post any news, whatever in the second half of 2018, all of 2019, all of 2020, first half of 2021.  On the day after the Indians announced their name change, they posted a recruiting note for a 2022 team.  Looks like a defunct team is attempting to resurrect solely to grab a check.

The Roller derby case is a frivolous lawsuit that will be stricken or Dismissed. They won't receive a dime, even as a nuisance settlement.

There is no likelihood of confusion and there is no current use to maintain any TM rights. .

As soon as I hear someone use the term "woke" (usually from my numerous white male Republican Fox News addicted  friends) i tune them out or try to change the topic.  I find that my old friends who are super hyped and so self assured about their politics ,ideology, and religious beliefs  tend to be boring and predictable generally, but I keep them as my friends because, pretty much, that is about 99% of them any more. 

As far as the use of the Chop, referring to a team as "The Indians" and having Chief Yahoo as a mascot, go ahead, whatever.I  know it's wrong but I am not going to waste time trying to convince anyone why, especially the hardest heads and know-it-alls. I just laugh at them thinking, how shallow, how foolish, how arrogant and disrespectful.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, soulfly said:

My excuse?  I'm not a Braves fan, so I've never done the chop.  Nor have I ever done it for any other team that might possibly use it.  I also watched the previous WS games I saw people of all likes of color and walks of life doing it.  Never said it made it right, or should be done.  Merely pointing out that to just assume it is a certain type of people only is foolish and wrong.  Nice try though always thinking everyone who isn't you is some sort of monster bigot racist trash.

It honestly has to be exhausting for you to always go and find shit to b**** about.

I did it when I was at FSU.  Then I grew up and realized not only how offensive it can be, but also how fuckin' stupid and childish it looks doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

4 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

If you look at the roller derby team's website it appears the last existence of an actual team was in summer 2018.  No attempt to recruit a team, post a schedule, post any news, whatever in the second half of 2018, all of 2019, all of 2020, first half of 2021.  On the day after the Indians announced their name change, they posted a recruiting note for a 2022 team.  Looks like a defunct team is attempting to resurrect solely to grab a check.

they will be able to use covid as an excuse for that if they need to. 

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

they will be able to use covid as an excuse for that if they need to. 

They made no attempt to have a team in 2019, before Covid even existed. They made no attempt to have a team in 2020. It's not like they planned on a 2020 season and it was cancelled.  The team is defunct. Cleveland didn't fail to do a Google search before they took the name. They did the search and realized the team was defunct.  They have no players, no schedule, no ticket sales, nothing. But for an old website, they don't exist.

They advertise "learn to skate sessions" for interested 2022 players.  This is a rec club, not a professional team.

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

They made no attempt to have a team in 2019, before Covid even existed. They made no attempt to have a team in 2020. It's not like they planned on a 2020 season and it was cancelled.  The team is defunct. Cleveland didn't fail to do a Google search before they took the name. They did the search and realized the team was defunct.  They have no players, no schedule, no ticket sales, nothing. But for an old website, they don't exist.

They advertise "learn to skate sessions" for interested 2022 players.  This is a rec club, not a professional team.

I get what you are saying but if they are squatting on the rights then either the mlb club pays up or changes their name again.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tray said:

The Roller derby case is a frivolous lawsuit that will be stricken or Dismissed. They won't receive a dime, even as a nuisance settlement.

There is no likelihood of confusion and there is no current use to maintain any TM rights. .

As soon as I hear someone use the term "woke" (usually from my numerous white male Republican Fox News addicted  friends) i tune them out or try to change the topic.  I find that my old friends who are super hyped and so self assured about their politics ,ideology, and religious beliefs  tend to be boring and predictable generally, but I keep them as my friends because, pretty much, that is about 99% of them any more. 

As far as the use of the Chop, referring to a team as "The Indians" and having Chief Yahoo as a mascot, go ahead, whatever.I  know it's wrong but I am not going to waste time trying to convince anyone why, especially the hardest heads and know-it-alls. I just laugh at them thinking, how shallow, how foolish, how arrogant and disrespectful.

Why do wokes always point out people's skin color? Seems pretty racist.

9 hours ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

I did it when I was at FSU.  Then I grew up and realized not only how offensive it can be, but also how fuckin' stupid and childish it looks doing it.

I never said I was pro chop.  So I'm not sure why you quoted me on that, but I'm agreeing here.  I was merely pointing out it wasn't just one group of people doing it.

To be totally honest, you know what is actually worse than the chop?  The chant they do along with it.  It's all you could hear when watching the game when they were playing at home.