Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kyyle23

What you want them to do/what you think they will do

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, almagest said:

What I want the Sox to do:

I already gave this the requisite “like,” but I just wanted to say that after rereading it, I like it even more than my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd generation rebuild. Trade the guys with 1-3 years or less of control and get unprecedented return and farm depth. Compete with a mega team in 2~ years

Edited by ron883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my "realistic" scenario with a $175M payroll.  I've tried to address all needs (RF, 2B, BC, rotation, bullpen depth) while also improving the overall balance of the lineup.  I think the biggest stretch is Keuchel for La Stella, but still think that could be a possibility given his huge salary increase in 2023 and the fact that 80% of the Giants' rotation is hitting free agency.  Starting pitching depth is a concern, which is why I'd target Teheran (or someone similar) for a minor league deal.  Also, not shown in the roster build but I'd bring back Jimmy Cordero (optioning him to AAA) and let him be the next man up in the bullpen.

2022 Roster.PNG

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Name KylLe, Ray Ray and Ron883 a three-headed Ghidorah the GM kaiju.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Want them to do-

Trade one of Vaughn/Sheets/Burger plus Crochet and Minor league parts for Harper

sign Escobar 

QO to Rodon 

Scherzer

tell caulfield his jokes are terrible 

-what I think they will do-

Escobar

Conforto

not tell caulfield his jokes are terrible 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should do:  Name Fathom and Dick Allen as humor specialists/mediator mods

Crowdfund JR out of existence by doing a SoxTalk SPAC or NFT (banner art)

Do a huge Squid Games promotion, opening the GRF up for a Halloween Haunted House Experience.

 

Will do:  Reopen the politics section next mid term elections, then regret that decision within 48-72 hours.

Sign players that end up contributing negative fWAR cumulatively.

Be accused of carrying water for management, as well as looking down on AARP members.

Dune promotion goes awry when khaki Desert Storm Sox unis clash with visiting Dbacks garb.  Chris Sale returns with Boston the following week to cut those uniforms up as well, complaining about the amount of give in the fabric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is my "realistic" scenario with a $175M payroll.  I've tried to address all needs (RF, 2B, BC, rotation, bullpen depth) while also improving the overall balance of the lineup.  I think the biggest stretch is Keuchel for La Stella, but still think that could be a possibility given his huge salary increase in 2023 and the fact that 80% of the Giants' rotation is hitting free agency.  Starting pitching depth is a concern, which is why I'd target Teheran (or someone similar) for a minor league deal.  Also, not shown in the roster build but I'd bring back Jimmy Cordero (optioning him to AAA) and let him be the next man up in the bullpen.

2022 Roster.PNG

Nice - and I feel like 112 wins probably gets us over the top in the Central.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is my "realistic" scenario with a $175M payroll.  I've tried to address all needs (RF, 2B, BC, rotation, bullpen depth) while also improving the overall balance of the lineup.  I think the biggest stretch is Keuchel for La Stella, but still think that could be a possibility given his huge salary increase in 2023 and the fact that 80% of the Giants' rotation is hitting free agency.  Starting pitching depth is a concern, which is why I'd target Teheran (or someone similar) for a minor league deal.  Also, not shown in the roster build but I'd bring back Jimmy Cordero (optioning him to AAA) and let him be the next man up in the bullpen.

2022 Roster.PNG

I like that, although I'd like them to sign another RP, and send Crochet down to get stretched out/develop a 3rd pitch.

I think that a decent RP signing could net 1 WAR, but I'd like to have more SP "inventory," in case of future injury/ineffectiveness that can pop up.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Nice - and I feel like 112 wins probably gets us over the top in the Central.

Just to be clear, I’m not projecting us to win 112 games, that model just spits out a projected W-L based on total fWAR.  That being said, we put up 52.4 fWAR with an insane amount of injuries, our starters slowing down towards the end, and several massive holes that are theoretically being addressed in the above proposal.  Obviously the projections above highly optimistic and aren’t projecting enough things to go wrong, but we have a fairly young roster and we should exceed last year’s total fWAR with enough additions and don’t have insane bad injury luck again.  100+ wins should be the goal, especially in a shitty AL Central.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want them to do is to

a) bring in a new front office that implements and embraces state-of-the-art analysis. 
b) trade some of the logjam at the corners for young starting  pitching.
c)sign Semien.
 

What I think they will do is sign
a) sign someone like Castellanos, worsening the log-jam;
b) trade Sheets or the like for a veteran pitcher.
c) trade one of the young middle infielders and or low minors pitchers for a veteran 2B.

Edited by GreenSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2021 at 5:56 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

This is my "realistic" scenario with a $175M payroll.  I've tried to address all needs (RF, 2B, BC, rotation, bullpen depth) while also improving the overall balance of the lineup.  I think the biggest stretch is Keuchel for La Stella, but still think that could be a possibility given his huge salary increase in 2023 and the fact that 80% of the Giants' rotation is hitting free agency.  Starting pitching depth is a concern, which is why I'd target Teheran (or someone similar) for a minor league deal.  Also, not shown in the roster build but I'd bring back Jimmy Cordero (optioning him to AAA) and let him be the next man up in the bullpen.

2022 Roster.PNG

My question is how does one get this spreadsheet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

My question is how does one get this spreadsheet?

PM me an email address and I can send to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisit this the glorious day when this organization is sold to those who are willing to spend to compete.

I hate trading assets.

At some point, you gotta accentuate by signing vetted difference makers.

I want the world.
They"ll do nothing.

If anything, I expect Reinsdorf will assume his position on the front lines as he will be bullish on a work stoppage in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Revisit this the glorious day when this organization is sold to those who are willing to spend to compete.

I hate trading assets.

At some point, you gotta accentuate by signing vetted difference makers.

I want the world.
They"ll do nothing.

If anything, I expect Reinsdorf will assume his position on the front lines as he will be bullish on a work stoppage in 2022.

Seriously your presence sucks in every thread, just go whine on twitter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Seriously your presence sucks in every thread, just go whine on twitter

Like one of three posters I have on ignore.  Dude literally contributes nothing to this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve read there’s a chance Gleyber Torres could be made available this winter, and if that’s the case, I think he’d be the perfect pick up.  He’s only three months older than Madrigal (24 years old, 25 next season) and still has three years of team control.  He had an off year this season but part of it was he was playing out of position.  Once the Yanks moved him back to second his bat seemed to start coming around again.  

Have no idea what it would take to get him but it’s very appealing to add him alongside Eloy and Dylan as former Cub premier prospects contributing to the Sox’ run in the next few years.  

As for RF, I’d be good with a one-year, left handed hitting stop gap of some sort until Cespedes is ready to take over, but one better than the one we added last year.   

What they will do, well, that’s anyone’s guess.  Every winter I think this is going to be the one where Reinsdorf surprises us all and ditches the magic-in-a-bottle approach and makes a bold statement by acquiring some premium, big name talent that will put us over the top, and then every winter I come away disappointed.  But hope springs eternal, so we’ll see how it plays out yet again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

From what I’ve read there’s a chance Gleyber Torres could be made available this winter, and if that’s the case, I think he’d be the perfect pick up.  He’s only three months older than Madrigal (24 years old, 25 next season) and still has three years of team control.  He had an off year this season but part of it was he was playing out of position.  Once the Yanks moved him back to second his bat seemed to start coming around again.  

Have no idea what it would take to get him but it’s very appealing to add him alongside Eloy and Dylan as former Cub premier prospects contributing to the Sox’ run in the next few years.  

As for RF, I’d be good with a one-year, left handed hitting stop gap of some sort until Cespedes is ready to take over, but one better than the one we added last year.   

What they will do, well, that’s anyone’s guess.  Every winter I think this is going to be the one where Reinsdorf surprises us all and ditches the magic-in-a-bottle approach and makes a bold statement by acquiring some premium, big name talent that will put us over the top, and then every winter I come away disappointed.  But hope springs eternal, so we’ll see how it plays out yet again. 

I don’t see what we could possibly offer the Yankees for Torres and don’t see him as a viable option.  As for RF, we should not be making any plans around Cespedes.  We really need to stop dicking around with half-ass stopgaps and just sign Conforto.  We need a LH hitter and there is unlikely to be someone potentially as impactful at that price point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I hope they do: sign yan Gomes. Bring back Rodon on one year contract. Trade keuchel for wil Myers. Trade Kimbrel after picking up option for segura or gregorious.  Start kopech and crochet creatively such as six man rotation at times or have them combine to pitch majority of same game. Keep Vaughn and sheets unless it’s for similar level of young player ability and contract wise but may fit roster better. The Sox payroll flexibility is seemingly gone. Going to need to be willing to take on similar iffy contracts that help balance roster better.   I can only hope they truly try to win every year going forward with this group.                                                      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see what we could possibly offer the Yankees for Torres and don’t see him as a viable option.  As for RF, we should not be making any plans around Cespedes.  We really need to stop dicking around with half-ass stopgaps and just sign Conforto.  We need a LH hitter and there is unlikely to be someone potentially as impactful at that price point.

Lol - well, the game here is to answer the question what we want them to do, and what I want them to do is acquire Torres if he’s made available.  If the Yanks don’t resign Rizzo, then a young premium talent like Andrew Vaughn to replace him at first could be interesting to them.  It’s not out of the realm of possibility.  Now do I think it’s going to happen, likely no.  But if there was a way to do it, I think it would be a tremendous upgrade and a great fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see what we could possibly offer the Yankees for Torres and don’t see him as a viable option.  As for RF, we should not be making any plans around Cespedes.  We really need to stop dicking around with half-ass stopgaps and just sign Conforto.  We need a LH hitter and there is unlikely to be someone potentially as impactful at that price point.

I’m still waiting for a neutral “scout” to have anything good to say about Cespedes hitting ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Lol - well, the game here is to answer the question what we want them to do, and what I want them to do is acquire Torres if he’s made available.  If the Yanks don’t resign Rizzo, then a young premium talent like Andrew Vaughn to replace him at first could be interesting to them.  It’s not out of the realm of possibility.  Now do I think it’s going to happen, likely no.  But if there was a way to do it, I think it would be a tremendous upgrade and a great fit.  

Sure, if we move Vaughn we could probably get him.  But not sure I get the fit with Torres though.  He’s a really poor defender and another RH hitter who has consistently been in the 55th to 65th percentile for xwOBA.  Giving up Vaughn to get three arb years of what might just be a 2 win 2B doesn’t seem worthwhile to me.  Why not just sign Escobar for a small cash outlay and keep Andrew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m still waiting for a neutral “scout” to have anything good to say about Cespedes hitting ability.

I’m giving him another year before I write him off, but he definitely didn’t do enough this year to factor into the the near-term plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

What I hope they do: sign yan Gomes. Bring back Rodon on one year contract. Trade keuchel for wil Myers. Trade Kimbrel after picking up option for segura or gregorious.  Start kopech and crochet creatively such as six man rotation at times or have them combine to pitch majority of same game. Keep Vaughn and sheets unless it’s for similar level of young player ability and contract wise but may fit roster better. The Sox payroll flexibility is seemingly gone. Going to need to be willing to take on similar iffy contracts that help balance roster better.   I can only hope they truly try to win every year going forward with this group.                                                      

Crochet hasn't worked nearly enough on endurance or secondary repertoire to pull that one off for next season...they would have to use a six man rotation the entire year, at best.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2021 at 6:56 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

This is my "realistic" scenario with a $175M payroll.  I've tried to address all needs (RF, 2B, BC, rotation, bullpen depth) while also improving the overall balance of the lineup.  I think the biggest stretch is Keuchel for La Stella, but still think that could be a possibility given his huge salary increase in 2023 and the fact that 80% of the Giants' rotation is hitting free agency.  Starting pitching depth is a concern, which is why I'd target Teheran (or someone similar) for a minor league deal.  Also, not shown in the roster build but I'd bring back Jimmy Cordero (optioning him to AAA) and let him be the next man up in the bullpen.

2022 Roster.PNG

Ok first question, how the heck did you get this to work? The Spotrac roster builder is non-functional for me in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and on an iphone on Safari. All the "trade" windows open up buried in the background and are completely inaccessible, you can't click on them. This is also not an adblock issue as I tried turning it off? 

Anyway, here's my problem with this, it's not that this is a bad 2022 roster - it's what happens in 2023 with the guarantees you just gave out. The White Sox get out of Rodon's deal in this format, but that's about the only major expiring contract they have. But...Moncada, Robert, Jiminez, Anderson all have guaranteed contracts/options that go up, Giolito will be Arb 3 with probably a $14 million salary, Kopech and Cease both are Arb 1 so I just guessed they're $4.5 million. Dominguez iis also arb-1. LaStella's contract inflates hugely in year 3.  I also kept Lopez for $4 million, which is probably an underestimate if he is retained. Sulser will be Arb1, Dominguez is Arb1. Also assume Anderson's option is picked up, obviously will be.

Jose Abreu is technically an expiring contract after 2022, but does anyone seriously believe he won't be back with the 2023 white sox for about $20 million? I would have guessed another year would be added to his deal prior to the 2022 season had there not been a labor impasse. So, assume $20 million for Abreu in 2023. 

Without making any other moves, and following the numbers you gave, the roster you gave us inflates naturally from $175 million in 2022 to over $190 million in 2023 without making any other moves. If all you do is add in another year of Abreu, then this roster is naturally way more expensive and in a position where they would struggle to spend money the next offseason based on their history.

So I guess that's my "What do i want them to do" - 2023 is trouble. A lot of guys go up in salary, and the only salaries that leave are Keuchel and Rodon, assuming they keep Abreu. This will happen almost regardless of who they bring in - if they go for a guy like Conforto on a multi-year deal, they create this problem of suddenly having no money to spend the next offseason. So where does that leave this team? Is 2022 an "All in, if we don't win the world series, we trade Giolito and others?" year? Or are they ready to push to $210 million payroll in 2023 prior to losing Gio as a free agent? What do I want them to do? Have an answer to this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×