Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kyyle23

What you want them to do/what you think they will do

Recommended Posts

Let's try something a little different here just to break up the monotony of this crappy time period from when the Sox lost to when free agency begins.

all I want you to do is simply state something (try to be specific) like below 

*example*
What I want the White Sox to do: 

RF- trade Vaughn Sheets lambert for Harper

2B- re-sign Cesar

What I think the White Sox will do:

Rf - Sheets

2b - Leury 

*example*

do not quote/respond/refute/argue with anyone else suggestions, but if you agree or prefer it, give it a like.   When the off-season begins in earnest (HOPEFULLY the CBA doesn't kill All hope) I will tally the most liked, and we will see how close or far all of us are from reality(I'm guessing the most liked will be crazy and unrealistic but who cares lol)

Looking forward to watching this sink off the front page to be forever ignored 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want:

- spend money on a legit RF ( Castellanos??)

- focus on 2B that plays outstanding defense

What they will do:

- fill RF with an aging veteran and hope he has a good year (Avi Garcia...ugh)

- bring in an average defensive 2B that can hit a little but not a lot (Cesar Hernandez)

- and they will sell us on high hopes of being healthy, rebound year for Kuechel and moving Kopech to rotation

Re-reading the instructions...maybe my descriptions are too generic and should have included some names?  If so...my bad!

 

Edited by BrittBurnsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want:

-decline Kimbrel option and move on

-decline Hernandez option and sign Semien

What they will do:

-pick up Kimbrel option and trade him for someone else's bad contract to play RF in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle for a run next year

-decline Hernandez option and bring back Yolmer...GG defender and damnit people just like him (well outside of Soxtalk that is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

What I want:

- spend money on a legit RF! 

- focus on 2B that plays outstanding defense

What they will do:

- fill RF with an aging veteran and hope he has a good year

- bring in an average defensive 2B that can hit a little but not a lot

- and they will sell us on high hopes of being healthy, rebound year for Kuechel and moving Kopech to rotation

Re-reading the instructions...maybe my descriptions are too generic and should have included some names?  If so...my bad!

 

The edit button is right there for you 😉 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want:

-Sign Bryant to play RF

-Sign Semien to play 2b

-Sign Scherzer to a 1 or 2-year deal and let Rodon walk

-Stop trading assets, including Kimbrel, who will figure it out and be a valuable reliever next season (with us or someone else)

What they'll do:

-Sign Semien

-Stick with in-house options in RF (which I'd be OK with with Semien in the fold)

-Hang on to Rodon

-Trade some combination of Kimbrel, Crochet, Sheets, Vaughn, and/or Keuchel (plus prospects) for unexpected pitching names, a backup catcher and depth pieces

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want them to do: 
Sign Scherzer for $2/80 (I don't care what it costs, including dumping Keuchel for peanuts)
Put Kopech on a throwing program right now and ramp up for the #5 spot (Scherzer/Lynn/Gio/Cease/Kopech)
Trade Crochet/Vaughn for Bryan Reynolds. / or sign Starling Marte
La Stella trade for 2B
Sign best Defensive Catcher available

What they will do: 
Quintana for SP depth until Crochet starts second half (They HAVE to limit Dallas to under 160 innings)
Miss out Starling Marte and settle for a mediocre RF
Sign Escobar (2B) for too much money
Trade Kimbrel for another bad SD contract coming back (potentially an OF) 
Give Collins one more year before they have to cut bait completely

Edited by EloyJenkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want the Sox to do:

  • See what Harper will cost for RF. Pipe dream is Kimbrel and not Vaughn can be part of the package.
    • Sign Conforto if Harper doesn't work out, and Kimbrel can't be included in a package for another impact RF
  • Sign Semien
  • Resign Tepera
  • Sign Robbie Ray
  • Stretch out Kopech and Crochet for long relief/spot starts
  • Sign someone like Archie Bradley or Colome for additional bullpen help
  • Sign a backup catcher - Yan Gomes? Roberto Perez?

 

What I think they'll do:

  • Platoon Sheets and Engel in RF until they think Cespedes is ready
  • Leury/Romy at 2B, maybe a Cesar Hernandez tier signing
  • Kopech to SP with ReyLo to back him up
  • Qualifying offer to Rodon
  • Resign Tepera
  • Trade Kimbrel for some bullpen flyers
  • Collins is backup C
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want: Sign Conforto (4 years; $70M), trade Keuchel + Burger for Tommy La Stella (stealing this one from @Chicago White Sox), re-sign Leury (2 years; $8M), trade Kade McClure, Micker Adolfo and Blake Rutherford (perhaps Collins could factor into this deal as well instead of McClure) to PIT for Jacob Stallings, trade Kimbrel to Phillies for Seranthony Dominguez and Mickey Moniak (Phils take whole bill), sign Chris Archer (1 year; $7.5M full of incentives), sign Jose Quintana to minor league deal. Re-sign Tepera (2 years: $15M).  QO to Rodon; he rejects. Payroll in this scenario is in the low-$180M, which frankly is about as low as it can realistically be if Sox are serious. 

What they'll do: I am too scared to guess.  Hopefully nothing too shortsighted. 

 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conforto for RF

Scherzer for SP

2B can be managed through Leury + internal options until the deadline. If they don't trust that go for EE

Sox need to be better at the small things. TLR specifically needs to be forced to use the data at hand. The defensive positioning and shifting has to be much better along with the bullpen usage. It's probably not going to change though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the fact that the team payroll is going up by ~28.5m before the FO can blink means they're probably not going to do much.    And that's before Giolito's arb raise and doesn't include any team option pick ups.  Add to that, the prep for the upcoming Arb1's for Cease and Kopech after next year.  There's also a few other important arb reviews/decisions such as Engel and Lopez.

With my expectations being low, I realistically hope they can resign Leury, Hamilton, and Tepera (& ofc Giolito).  And I hope they can option/trade Garcia and Kimbrel (deserves to be closer anyway) for decent prospects.  Leury can be our every 2B with Romy as the super sub (or visa versa).  

What they actually do might be quite depressing given the financials.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Given the fact that the team payroll is going up by ~28.5m before the FO can blink means they're probably not going to do much.    And that's before Giolito's arb raise and doesn't include any team option pick ups.  Add to that, the prep for the upcoming Arb1's for Cease and Kopech after next year.  There's also a few other important arb reviews/decisions such as Engel and Lopez.

With my expectations being low, I realistically hope they can resign Leury, Hamilton, and Tepera (& ofc Giolito).  And I hope they can option/trade Garcia and Kimbrel (deserves to be closer anyway) for decent prospects.  Leury can be our every 2B with Romy as the super sub (or visa versa).  

What they actually do might be quite depressing given the financials.

?????

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want them to do:

  • RF - Sign Startling Marte (with Conforto as a fallback option)
  • 2B - Sign Chris Taylor
  • C - Sign Yan Gomes
  • SP - Sign Robbie Ray, sign Alex Wood (injury risk, so include incentives for IP)
  • RP - Resign Tepera, sign Kendall Graveman
  • Utility - Resign Leury
  • Trades: Figure out how to offload Kimbrel and Keuchel, even just for depth pieces
  • Stop hitting groundballs

 

Think they'll do:

  • RF - Sign Conforto
  • 2B - Sign Jose Iglesias
  • C - See trades
  • SP - Resign Rodon, talk up Keuchel, Stiever and Lambert as capable arms, hope as hard as they can for good health in the rotation
  • RP - Resign Tepera, see trades
  • Utility - Resign Leury
  • Trades: Offload Kimbrel, Sheets and Burger for a quality backup catcher and bullpen arms (not necessarily in the same deal)
  • Continue hitting groundballs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

?????

Adam please reread the first post Lmao 

 

you too @ChiSox59

 

damnit I was hoping we would get to second page before a reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Given the fact that the team payroll is going up by ~28.5m before the FO can blink means they're probably not going to do much.    And that's before Giolito's arb raise and doesn't include any team option pick ups.  Add to that, the prep for the upcoming Arb1's for Cease and Kopech after next year.  There's also a few other important arb reviews/decisions such as Engel and Lopez.

With my expectations being low, I realistically hope they can resign Leury, Hamilton, and Tepera (& ofc Giolito).  And I hope they can option/trade Garcia and Kimbrel (deserves to be closer anyway) for decent prospects.  Leury can be our every 2B with Romy as the super sub (or visa versa).  

What they actually do might be quite depressing given the financials.

Payroll is at $165M including Kimbrel and assuming Cesar's option is declined.  If they can move Kimbrel, they should have around $30-35M to spend.  If they can move Keuchel, add another $15M.  Leury, Hamilton and Tepera will cost around $12M combined.  So in a scenario where they don't trade off Kimbrel and/or Keuchel, the latter of which seems much more likely to a White Sox than the former, I could actually see the Sox only having around $20M to spend.  So this isn't that crazy of a scenerio if that were to play out.  But woof - I don't see the Sox literally just running back the 2021 roster and seeing if it shakes out differently. 

edit: sorry @Kyyle23, I have failed you.  I took the bait.  Never again. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Payroll is at $165M including Kimbrel and assuming Cesar's option is declined.  If they can move Kimbrel, they should have around $30-35M to spend.  If they can move Keuchel, add another $15M.  Leury, Hamilton and Tepera will cost around $12M combined.  So in a scenario where they don't trade off Kimbrel and/or Keuchel, the latter of which seems much more likely to a White Sox than the former, I could actually see the Sox only having around $20M to spend.  So this isn't that crazy of a scenerio if that were to play out.  But woof - I don't see the Sox literally just running back the 2021 roster and seeing if it shakes out differently. 

edit: sorry @Kyyle23, I have failed you.  I took the bait.  Never again. 

😂 it was gonna happen eventually and none of us can display any sort of restraint anyways 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- 3-way deal that doesn't happen unless Cashman gets into Preller's coke stash.

  • Kimbrel, Yermin to Padres
  • Gallo, Abrams to White Sox
  • Keuchel, Hosmer, Adolfo, and fat stacks of cash to the Yankees.

- Sign Semien.

- Sign Quintana as a swingman to cover Kopech's transition to the rotation.

- Re-sign Tepera.

- Re-sign Rodon.

- Re-sign Leury, properly use him.

What they will do:

- Sign Escobar

- Offer Rodon QO, let him walk.

- Re-sign Tepera

- Trade Jake Burger in a move that infuriates half the board, makes half the board happy a la Dunning-for-Lynn (but not that caliber).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want them to do:

RF - Sign Castellanos or Marte

2B - Sign Semien 

SP - Sign Scherzer

C - Sign Perez or Gomez

RP - Resign Tepera

Utility - Resign Garcia

Trades - Trade Kimbrel and Kuechel for some bullpen arms


What they’ll do:

RF - Sign Marte or Conforto 

2B - Sign Semien or Escobar

SP - Re-sign Rodon and extend Gio

C - Sign Barnhart

RP - Resign Tepera

Utility - Resign Garcia

Trades - Trade Kimbrel, Keuchel and one of Burger or Sheets for some bullpen arms.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want:

  • New owner, FO, Manager and staff beyond Paddy, whoever Paddy wants to keep in scouting, and Katz.
  • Eloy and Mercedes for Pablo Lopez.
  • Lynn; Keuchel and Kimbrel for Lux and Gonsolin.
  • Grandal for Gallo.
  • Burger, Collins, prospects for Willson Contreras.
  • FAs Robbie Ray, Yan Gomes, Leury Garcia, plus two $2M-$4M decent RPs.
  • The White Sox to shift defensively like the other 20+ competent teams.

SS TA 3B YM # 1B JA RF JG^ CF LR DH GS ^C WC LF AV 2B GL^

Bench: Gomes, Engel, Garcia, Gonzalez.

SP: Giolito, Ray, Pablo Lopez, Kopech, Gonsolin, Cease.

RP: KH, AB, GC, Rey L, JR, FA, FA 

I’ll get: “Nothing and like it.”

Edited by South Side Hit Men
Forgot to dump Keuchel in Purge of Hahn and La Russa’s $300M Beer and Pizza Moves.
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want:

-give Rodon a QO

- Rodon accepts offer or sign one of  Rodon, Scherzer, Ray

- Trade Keuchel, Collins,  & Burger to a rebuilding team - say Arizona for Carson Kelly & a Decent reliever.

- Trade Kimbrel to the Rays for Glasnow if they still want to do that. If not somewhere else for prospects

- sign Chris Taylor to play 2b this year as a placeholder for Jose Ramirez next year. (then Taylor plays everywhere almost everday rest players once a week or trade him for good prospects). 

- re-sign Tepera

- sign 1 of graveman, hudson, Iglesias

- re-sign Leury

What The sox will do:

- qo to Rodon Takes it or walks

- Lopez replaces Rodon in rotation

- Trade Keuchel with Burger & Kimbrel in 3 way deal that get us Gleyber Torres

- sign 1 of Gausman, desclafini, stroman

- sign escobar to 2b

- re sign Tepera

- Hire schildt to coaching staff if he doesn't take a manager's job elsewhere

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Want: Sign Conforto (4 years; $70M), trade Keuchel + Burger for Tommy La Stella (stealing this one from @Chicago White Sox), re-sign Leury (2 years; $8M), trade Kade McClure, Micker Adolfo and Blake Rutherford (perhaps Collins could factor into this deal as well instead of McClure) to PIT for Jacob Stallings, trade Kimbrel to Phillies for Seranthony Dominguez and Mickey Moniak (Phils take whole bill), sign Chris Archer (1 year; $7.5M full of incentives), sign Jose Quintana to minor league deal. Re-sign Tepera (2 years: $15M).  QO to Rodon; he rejects. Payroll in this scenario is in the low-$180M, which frankly is about as low as it can realistically be if Sox are serious. 

What they'll do: I am too scared to guess.  Hopefully nothing too shortsighted.

Lol yeaaaaah I started typing what I WANT them to do but then realized none of it will likely happen and then didn’t want to waste my time even finishing the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this off season will really answer the question of who is in charge of personell right now.  I think it might be an interesting exercise to focus on people that Tony has run across in his various baseball stops in recent years.  We know his time in Saint Louis, but don't forget about his stops in Arizona and Anaheim's front offices in recent years.  With that in mind, I think a name like Ketel Marte might take on extra meaning.  Maybe we see Eduardo Escobar.  Then again on the other side of the coin, maybe Tony is the reason we DIDN'T see Escobar.  Another name is David Perralta.  It is a bit tougher to see matches with Anaheim right now, but they need pitching badly, and I have to imagine we are going to look to deal Dallas after the way his season ended.  Is there a money for money trade to be made for an OF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

What I want them to do:

RF - Sign Castellanos or Marte

2B - Sign Semien 

SP - Sign Scherzer

C - Sign Perez or Gomez

RP - Resign Tepera

Utility - Resign Garcia

Trades - Trade Kimbrel and Kuechel for some bullpen arms


What they’ll do:

RF - Sign Marte or Conforto 

2B - Sign Semien or Escobar

SP - Re-sign Rodon and extend Gio

C - Sign Barnhart

RP - Resign Tepera

Utility - Resign Garcia

Trades - Trade Kimbrel, Keuchel and one of Burger or Sheets for some bullpen arms.

The "What they will do" would be unbelievably great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

What I want them to do:

RF - Sign Castellanos or Marte

2B - Sign Semien 

SP - Sign Scherzer

C - Sign Perez or Gomez

RP - Resign Tepera

Utility - Resign Garcia

Trades - Trade Kimbrel and Kuechel for some bullpen arms


What they’ll do:

RF - Sign Marte or Conforto 

2B - Sign Semien or Escobar

SP - Re-sign Rodon and extend Gio

C - Sign Barnhart

RP - Resign Tepera

Utility - Resign Garcia

Trades - Trade Kimbrel, Keuchel and one of Burger or Sheets for some bullpen arms.

Barnhart has an option that should get picked up (only $7.5 mill). They should be able to deal him if they want to hand the job to Stephenson.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Barnhart has an option that should get picked up (only $7.5 mill). They should be able to deal him if they want to hand the job to Stephenson.

Oh thank you for catching that. I didn’t notice it. Maybe sign Perez or Gomes instead? Perez has a club option for 2022 but I think they will decline that.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get more NL talent that fails once they put on that Sox uniform.

Letting Kimbrel walk is not a good idea.  Basically you traded 2 young players for nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×