Dallas a Gold Glove winner

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

As I said in that post there is some funkiness in his spin rates, but it’s not a clear pattern. His 2 seamer spin rate dropped compared to 2020, but his slider spin rate shot up in 2021 to the highest of his career. There’s also no obvious drop off when the rule came into effect. I can’t rule it out, but a first look doesn’t scream that as the answer.

chart 7.jpeg

June 20 is when the inspections started

Pre June 20

image.png

Jun 20 and later

image.png

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

June 20 is when the inspections started

Pre June 20

image.png

Jun 20 and later

image.png

This.  There are probably other reasons, but for a guy who has been a control, contact pitcher, his command went bad and I think going from something to nothing impacted him as much as anything. I'm less about spin rates and more about the impact it had on his command, etc.  Reality is I think Keuchel bounces back and has a solid season next year (nothing crazy - but low to mid 4 ERA and serviceable innings, etc).  He was just fine up until June 15th where everything exploded.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This.  There are probably other reasons, but for a guy who has been a control, contact pitcher, his command went bad and I think going from something to nothing impacted him as much as anything. I'm less about spin rates and more about the impact it had on his command, etc.  Reality is I think Keuchel bounces back and has a solid season next year (nothing crazy - but low to mid 4 ERA and serviceable innings, etc).  He was just fine up until June 15th where everything exploded.  

The testing with the pre-tacked baseballs in AFL has my attention.  I have to imagine they work out some middle ground here, which can do nothing but help a guy centered around extreme control and picking at the edges of the strike zone.

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is one great explanation, thanks.  And may I add that velocity in the case of a pitcher who didn't have any to begin with means nothing.