Marcus Semien

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Just hired the Boras group.  I think we can all kiss this little daydream goodbye.

Edit: I see this is mentioned in the offseason thread, feel free to delete!  Thanks!

That's OK. If we're going to break the record for most pages about a free agent we didn't get, we probably need to start now.

• Haha 3

Semien would be a great addition but two things here that really make this tough to swallow.

1. Second base is a hole we opened up that wasn't there a few months ago. I loved the Kimbrel trade at the time but it just sucks it went so poorly.

2. Semien was also given away in a trade that worked out poorly for the Sox.

I'd like to solve RF before 2B but obviously would be happy to land Semien. I do not think we'll be the highest bidder for him though.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Semien would be a great addition but two things here that really make this tough to swallow.

1. Second base is a hole we opened up that wasn't there a few months ago. I loved the Kimbrel trade at the time but it just sucks it went so poorly.

I'd like to solve RF before 2B but obviously would be happy to land Semien. I do not think we'll be the highest bidder for him though.

2B became a hole when the guy who was supposed to play turned out to be perpetually injured.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

2B became a hole when the guy who was supposed to play turned out to be perpetually injured.

Not really. He was regularly injured but he would be penciled in as the post Lockout starter this season if not for the decision to trade him. You’d have to find a backup you could count on, but you wouldn’t be talking about Semien.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

As much as I like Semien, I wouldn't sign him to a gigantic contract coming off a career year. I don't ever see him repeating this year, he's 31, his obp has never been great and he's a mediocre defender. 

I don’t even want to look up his numbers this year right now but MF was 3rd in the 2019 MVP voting and 2021 gets called a career year for him?

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Not really. He was regularly injured but he would be penciled in as the post Lockout starter this season if not for the decision to trade him. You’d have to find a backup you could count on, but you wouldn’t be talking about Semien.

Weren't you the one just ranting about how if you counted on regularly injured players and didn't have starting caliber back ups that it was your own fault?  Because this that exactly.  Madrigal has played around 1/3 of Sox games for the last two seasons.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Weren't you the one just ranting about how if you counted on regularly injured players and didn't have starting caliber back ups that it was your own fault?  Because this that exactly.  Madrigal has played around 1/3 of Sox games for the last two seasons.

You mean like the post you replied to where I said you would need a backup you could count on?

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t even want to look up his numbers this year right now but MF was 3rd in the 2019 MVP voting and 2021 gets called a career year for him?

I don't see him repeating the 45 HR's he hit this year, he's 31 and he's only had 2 seasons with an ops over .800. I'm certainly not going to give him $25M a year.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Yes, because we clearly haven't negotiated with Boras clients in recent years.

Well, I think its a pretty strong signal that he is going to bank this contract, which he completely should, but while the Sox can work with Boras, the Sox typically aren't successful with the free agents that are playing at that level.

Since Semien had an excellent year at the plate while playing 2B, do we think  Semien will agree on 2B for his next destination or is  playing SS  his priority. With the SS candidates potentially relocating this offseason, teams may look at MS as an alternative if they lose their SS. 

5 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

I agree, a power hitting right fielder should be the number one priority. I wish Sheets was the guy but he and Vaughn are much better suited for first base.