RF vs 2B - Where to Invest?

Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Maybe conforto would be smart to take a 1 year deal from the Rockies.  Have a massive year at Coors and then hit FA again

And no GM would be smart enough to take that into consideration…?

Why haven’t we seen a steady progression of hitters trying to do the same for almost thirty years?

Edited by caulfield12

I heard Lawrence Holmes mention the idea that Baez could come in to play short, with Anderson moving to second. He and Herb Lawrence looked up the numbers and said it made sense. Sox fans were texting in to complain, saying that it would mess Anderson up.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I heard Lawrence Holmes mention the idea that Baez could come in to play short, with Anderson moving to second. He and Herb Lawrence looked up the numbers and said it made sense. Sox fans were texting in to complain, saying that it would mess Anderson up.

Thoughts?

As someone who liked Baez at the deadline, you couldn't pick a worse fit offensively for the white sox. And yeah, I think it is disrespectful to Anderson, and we don't know that baez wouldn't be better at second anyway.

23 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Would you include Vaughn in a package for Bryan Reynolds?

4 years control of a switch hitting OF who is coming off a 6 WAR season? I definitely would. I feel like you’d have to include some pitching in there too, maybe one or two of the middle infield prospects as well.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yes, but I wouldn't include much more than Vaughn.

Not really sure why Pirates would do that.  I like Vaughn a lot, but he only has 1 year more control than Reynolds.  Would think Pirates would prefer multiple prospects (that we don't have) as opposed to a Vaughn for Reynolds straight up deal.

Even knowing the Pirates probably don't do that deal, I'd still not love it.  I admit it helps solve problems, but fuckina I think AV is going to be an elite bat and he is plenty serviceable in LF. 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sign Schwarber to DH and they can get more athletic and versatile at 2B and RF.  

The one thing we don't need is another DH.  We need an RF, 2nd baseman, backup defensive-minded catcher, and more pitching depth IMO.  

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The one thing we don't need is another DH.  We need an RF, 2nd baseman, backup defensive-minded catcher, and more pitching depth IMO.  

Naw, just sign schwarber for DH, Soler for Rf, and Kyle Seager to play 2b and slug our way to a championship (I'm being so facetious right now).

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

They need a left handed hitting run producer in the middle of the order.  They don't have to pigeon hole themselves by saying that guy has to play RF or 2B.  They have options. That guy can be a DH then they can fill the 2B and RF positions with more athletic and versatile players i.e better defenders.  

If anything was learned from watching Houston and Atlanta it's that depth and matchups matter.  I can't wrap my head around a Conforto or Castellanos investment into RF with Cespedes and Colas potential RF in 2023 and beyond knowing how the Sox operate.  If they do, it's clear indication that they don't view Cespedes as a viable every day player.  That being said, what's it going to take for the Royals to trade us Whit?  Per MLB Trade Values rankings a package of Burger, Dalquist and Kath gets it done.  Trade for Whit, sign Starling Marte to play RF with Vaughn and Sheets mixing in.  Marte has never played RF but seems athletic enough to make an easy transition and gives you a legit CF option to spell Robert and keep his legs fresh and can also play a plus LF.  Whit gives you even more flexibility with his RF versatility and gives a decent replacement for Nick's contact ability.  If Whit isn't possible, sign Chris Taylor to play 2B every day, get a huge lead in the central, deal for the best LHH OF available at the trade deadline and make a run.

5 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

If anything was learned from watching Houston and Atlanta it's that depth and matchups matter.  I can't wrap my head around a Conforto or Castellanos investment into RF with Cespedes and Colas potential RF in 2023 and beyond knowing how the Sox operate.  If they do, it's clear indication that they don't view Cespedes as a viable every day player.  That being said, what's it going to take for the Royals to trade us Whit?  Per MLB Trade Values rankings a package of Burger, Dalquist and Kath gets it done.  Trade for Whit, sign Starling Marte to play RF with Vaughn and Sheets mixing in.  Marte has never played RF but seems athletic enough to make an easy transition and gives you a legit CF option to spell Robert and keep his legs fresh and can also play a plus LF.  Whit gives you even more flexibility with his RF versatility and gives a decent replacement for Nick's contact ability.  If Whit isn't possible, sign Chris Taylor to play 2B every day, get a huge lead in the central, deal for the best LHH OF available at the trade deadline and make a run.

Merrifield is already on the age decline...which is never a good thing when speed is one of your primary assets. Then there's the premium for trading inside the division or with Cubs. 

Strike that, CLE must have been deliberately sabotaging the Sox with Cesar Hernandez.

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Merrifield is already on the age decline...which is never a good thing when speed is one of your primary assets. Then there's the premium for trading inside the division or with Cubs. 

Strike that, CLE must have been deliberately sabotaging the Sox with Cesar Hernandez.

The Cesar decline was something, I believe the only above .500 team he's ever played for was the 2020 Tribe prior to this year, I wonder if the pressure made him crumble.

29 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

The Cesar decline was something, I believe the only above .500 team he's ever played for was the 2020 Tribe prior to this year, I wonder if the pressure made him crumble.

He seemed largely uninterested. That’s what bugged me the most. Don’t hate many guys that play for the Sox, but he joined that elite company. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They need a left handed hitting run producer in the middle of the order.  They don't have to pigeon hole themselves by saying that guy has to play RF or 2B.  They have options. That guy can be a DH then they can fill the 2B and RF positions with more athletic and versatile players i.e better defenders.  

What if they sign a right handed RF who hits both righties and lefties well 

30 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I’m all for either Marte/Castellanos RF and an Adam Frazier/Ketel Marte/Semien 2B. I know who the owner is but that’s who they should be going after cuz it’s not my money 

Frazier was nearly Cesar Hernandez bad last year...plus the jump to the AL, and you're also having to pay for All-Star performance for a team that wasn't going anywhere.

Starling Marte seems like a real possibility, even moreso than Conforto.

Ketel Marte would require trading Vaughn, Jimenez and/or Crochet...Burger/Sheets/Collins won't be enough.

Semien is a pipe dream.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He seemed largely uninterested. That’s what bugged me the most. Don’t hate many guys that play for the Sox, but he joined that elite company. 

Agreed, body language was never good, something just felt off the entire time, never looked comfortable.

15 hours ago, Rey21 said:

What if they sign a right handed RF who hits both righties and lefties well 

There is a difference between having nice splits against all right handed pitchers (the good, bad , and mediocre) and hitting the right handed studs in the playoffs. Having line-up balance also changes pitchers release points and facing LH hitters usually means a pitcher opts for change-ups over sliders and curveballs. So going from potentially their best or 2nd best pitch to 3rd or fourth.