RF vs 2B - Where to Invest?

Chicago White Sox

Why is Vaughn not the answer?   Seriously...we are looking at 35 year old McCuthchen at a .780 OPS and a -1.5 dWar?   Vaughn is only 24 and last year after never really playing OF before he looked like he could handle it.  He's not ever going to be a great defensive outfielder but If you have Eloy, Vaughn and Robert all 25 and you can slot them into the outfield for the next five years and they hit 110 home runs/year while collectively batting .333...who cares if they give up a few extra runs?  I feel like they will give out one big contract this off season...two if they can deal the crumbling K's...you let Romy hold 2b and then sign Robbie Ray.   That rotation of Gio, Lynn, Cease, Kopech and Ray could be exciting.   

40 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Why is Vaughn not the answer?   Seriously...we are looking at 35 year old McCuthchen at a .780 OPS and a -1.5 dWar?   Vaughn is only 24 and last year after never really playing OF before he looked like he could handle it.  He's not ever going to be a great defensive outfielder but If you have Eloy, Vaughn and Robert all 25 and you can slot them into the outfield for the next five years and they hit 110 home runs/year while collectively batting .333...who cares if they give up a few extra runs?  I feel like they will give out one big contract this off season...two if they can deal the crumbling K's...you let Romy hold 2b and then sign Robbie Ray.   That rotation of Gio, Lynn, Cease, Kopech and Ray could be exciting.   

Well First problem remains the righties. You draw a good RHP in the playoffs and you go out first round, again. Obviously a McCutchen doesn’t solve that, which I’ve noted like 4 times now.

But your second problem is your bench. If Romy is your 2b, then the only big league bench player in this org right now is Engel, who wasn’t exactly a picture of health last year. You shouldn’t have been surprised when several guys got hurt this year, you better darn well have a plan for what you’re going to do if and when that happens again. That plan is currently not in this organization, and scrap heap guys picked up midseason are only going to get you so far if someone actually pushes us in the division.

In Fantasyland - the more I look at it the more I like the S. Marte option. True - he's at the end of his performance window, but should still be an asset for 2-3 years. Getting a higher priced FA , such as Marte, will necessitate unloading K & K's contracts at something like half value which the Sox need to do anyway. Hernandez sub-par play complicates things. Is there any reason to have confidence in his playing up to his $6+ Mil tag in 2022? A K & K move could possibly bring a LaStella type 2nd baseman (and a prospect.)  Picking up Cesar's option carries more than a little risk. Romy as a primary 2B as a rook?  Hmmmm maybe, sorta kinda... lot of unknown there. Thank heaven for Leury, even though we all know he isn't the answer at the position.
Speaking of catchers, (wait, we weren't talking catchers), we need a good fielding 2. Grandal's legs aren't getting any younger. Is there much reason to think that Grandal is going to put a solid 100 games behind the plate again? I have doubts he'll be able to do much more than 80. We need a good ML catcher, not just a backup, and they don't grow on trees.
And about another starter....

p.s. I realize that we're not likely to see anything like half contract value in moving Keuchel, but this is Fantasyland.

Edited by FoxForce2

On 11/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, GREEDY said:

Would Ketel Marte be an above average defensive RF?  I believe so.

I'd trade Vaughn + for him if possible.  Then sign a second basemen (take your pick based on how much you think Jerry's budget is).  Escobar seems the most likely.

Then let Engel play RF vs LHP and mix and match Marte all over the diamond.  Ketel would provide depth virtually everywhere and with 3 years remaining, his money would be coming off the books just as our core gets expensive and/or hits free agency.  He is just too perfect of a fit if you can acquire him for a price anywhere near his proper value and offload some of our 1B/DH backlog.  

Conforto is very enticing and seemingly still has upside remaining but I'd really hate to hinge our entire offseason on giving up a pick for the right to outbid half of the league for him. 

I'm firmly in the why not both camp and Ketel Marte makes sense at 2B/RF and sprinkle in time at SS and CF and LF if need be. His AAV is 10M for the next 3 years and will help insulate as the core continues to get pricey.

Trade Vaughn and Adolfo to the snakes Unfortunately while I believe in Adolfo the sand in the hour glass has run out for him in this org, and he is a nice lotto ticket for a team mired in a deep rebuild; they can give him a long honest look in the outfield. Vaughn immediately locks up 1B for them during this rebuild. This clears up the future of 1B for Eloy or Sheets, as Abreu is (rightfully) going to get the PK treatment and will play till he wants to hang it up. 

The trade simulator isn't the end all be all but its a good jumping off point.

No description available.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Speaking of catchers, we need a good fielding 2. Grandal's legs aren't getting any younger. Is there much reason to think that Grandal is going to put a solid 100 games behind the plate again? I have doubts he'll be able to do much more than 80. We need a good ML catcher, not just a backup, and they don't grow on trees.

Smart GMs think about these probabilities before they hand out record contracts.

Tony is happy with Narron’s work last year, despite defensive regression by every catcher. Tony is also pleased with Boston, GIDP Menechino, Duncan and the rest. Elite FO & Dugout Leadership.

I know that the White Sox will never be out managed with Tony in the dugout.

tenor.gif?itemid=10492889

37 minutes ago, beautox said:

I'm firmly in the why not both camp and Ketel Marte makes sense at 2B/RF and sprinkle in time at SS and CF and LF if need be. His AAV is 10M for the next 3 years and will help insulate as the core continues to get pricey.

Trade Vaughn and Adolfo to the snakes Unfortunately while I believe in Adolfo the sand in the hour glass has run out for him in this org, and he is a nice lotto ticket for a team mired in a deep rebuild; they can give him a long honest look in the outfield. Vaughn immediately locks up 1B for them during this rebuild. This clears up the future of 1B for Eloy or Sheets, as Abreu is (rightfully) going to get the PK treatment and will play till he wants to hang it up. 

The trade simulator isn't the end all be all but its a good jumping off point.

No description available.

Except they already have Christian Walker, Pavin Smith (another high first round draft pick) and Seth Beer.

There's not really a compelling need at this position, compared to almost everywhere else around the diamond.

36 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Smart GMs think about these probabilities before they hand out record contracts.

Tony is happy with Narron’s work last year, despite defensive regression by every catcher. Tony is also pleased with Boston, GIDP Menechino, Duncan and the rest. Elite FO & Dugout Leadership.

I know that the White Sox will never be out managed with Tony in the dugout.

tenor.gif?itemid=10492889

How can you watch our playoff series and think that?

4 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Ugh, how do you make the Tweet all fancy in the post?

When I am on Twitter I just use the share link under a tweet and post that here and it auto formats it for me.  If I post the link on the top of the browser it doesn't always format 

• Thanks 1

You get the best two way players for both RF and 2b. Sign one and trade for the other. 

Semien you target for 2b in free agency. That way there is insurance in case TA gets injured. Right now the Sox can’t win without a decent back up plan. Plus he’s had success in the AL east and west.

For RF, trade for Cedric Mullins. Don’t go crazy but a package around Cespedes and Sheets could get the conversation going. I don’t want to include Vaughn as he’s too valuable now that he can play LF and only getting better. 

Edited by beck72

5 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Ugh, how do you make the Tweet all fancy in the post?

After you hit paste, wait a sec, a black bar of text will appear at the bottom. Click “post as plain text”. Then it will load.

Basically when you paste the link the extra formatting sometimes prevents the site from recognizing it’s a Twitter link and embedding it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beck72 said:

You get the best two way players for both RF and 2b. Sign one and trade for the other. 

Semien you target for 2b in free agency. That way there is insurance in case TA gets injured. Right now the Sox can’t win without a decent back up plan. Plus he’s had success in the AL east and west.

For RF, trade for Cedric Mullins. Don’t go crazy but a package around Cespedes and Sheets could get the conversation going. I don’t want to include Vaughn as he’s too valuable now that he can play LF and only getting better. 

Bro, cedric mullins is like a top 20 hitter in the keague rn. Hes not acquirable