Sox give no qualifying offers

CentralChamps21

See, I don't always disagree with James:

I agree 100% with this.

Syndergaard and Verlander were extended QO's and they have a ton of risk as well. I believe Ed Rod was extended a QO as well. That's how the big boys operate. Good teams don't let potentially good players walk for free.

Edit: Disclaimer if Carlos has off-season surgery of some kind this would make a lot more sense.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox don't sign pitchers to big money or long-term contracts.

I've said this the past two off-seasons; I'm done giving this team the benefit of the doubt when it comes to signing big free agents. I also absolutely am not giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to scouting fringe/undervalued MLB players. It's not their area of strength.

I'll also ask, who?

Greinke was about as bad as Keuchel down the stretch.
Verlander is 100 years old.
Kershaw is as fragile as Carlos at this point.
Scherzer the Sox are not going to sign.

So Ray, Gausman, Stro. I like Ray and Gausman, and wouldn't hate on either one. I think Gausman gets a pretty long and nice deal - 4 years + for 110-125 million. I have my doubts the Sox would go there for a pitcher his age. Ray is erratic but I think he gets a pretty big deal as well. I don't trust the Sox to win a bidding war on either of those arms so who they left with?

We literally offered Wheeler a 5/$125M contract.  I don’t think we go beyond that year figure, but I could see us going a bit higher in total dollars.  And that might get you in the ballpark for Gausman who has a connection with our pitching coach.  Stroman would cost much less than that too and would make a ton of sense for us.

And why is Scherzer off the table?  He’s not getting more than three years and that’s something Jerry might do.  I’m not banking on it, but it’s not totally impossible like Cole was last offseason.  And I don’t get the Verlander hate when he’s been insanely good in recent years.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree 100% with this.

Syndergaard and Verlander were extended QO's and they have a ton of risk as well. I believe Ed Rod was extended a QO as well. That's how the big boys operate. Good teams don't let potentially good players walk for free.

Edit: Disclaimer if Carlos has off-season surgery of some kind this would make a lot more sense.

Can’t agree more with this.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude has been the most durable pitcher over the past decade.  Why does his age matter if he’s still productive?

I assume ray ray brings up age because Reinsdorf hates giving big contracts to pitchers, let alone a 37 year old pitcher. It's highly unlikely Reinsdorf green lights that. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I assume ray ray brings up age because Reinsdorf hates giving big contracts to pitchers, let alone a 37 year old pitcher. It's highly unlikely Reinsdorf green lights that. 

If it’s a short-term deal for a guy who’s proven to be far more durable than most starters a decade younger than him, I don’t see why Jerry would be against it to be honest.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If it’s a short-term deal for a guy who’s proven to be far more durable than most starters a decade younger than him, I don’t see why Jerry would be against it to be honest.

37/38 is really damn old for a player today. Sure he has been durable, but father time is undefeated. He's bound to fall off at some point soon. I just don't see Jerry giving 25m+ yearly to a 37 year old pitcher.

Just now, ron883 said:

37/38 is really damn old for a player today. Sure he has been durable, but father time is undefeated. He's bound to fall off at some point soon. I just don't see Jerry giving 25m+ yearly to a 37 year old pitcher.

I’ve seen some people suggest he wants something like 3/120

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He was unreal for the dodgers down the stretch but his last 240 innings have shown a sign of aging and some diminishing skills. Still very good but never know when that cliff comes. 

8 minutes ago, ron883 said:

In a weird way, if the Sox were going to break their seal in a record setting pitcher contract, I feel like it will be for someone old as hell.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree 100% with this.

I think we didn't extend Rodon a QO because he is either getting a 2 year deal or a 1 year prove it deal. I think he gets a 1 year deal loaded with incentives. I could see him getting 1 yr and 10-12 million with his risk. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, which couldn't be surprising and wouldn't be something the sox would offer imo.

I dunno.  I kinda see super-talented, proven-horse old guys as exactly the kind of market the Sox would prefer to shop at.  Short-term.  

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think we didn't extend Rodon a QO because he is either getting a 2 year deal or a 1 year prove it deal. I think he gets a 1 year deal loaded with incentives. I could see him getting 1 yr and 10-12 million with his risk. 

Both Fegan & Nightengale believe the Sox are moving in another direction.