Sox give no qualifying offers

CentralChamps21

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He said he'd never play for Tony La Russa. He said he wouldn't play for Tony la russa for any amount of money lol

Yeah he said it like a day before he accepted the QO. Easy to say that when you know you aren’t going into free agency.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Jerry Reinsdorf has always been afraid of guaranteeing big money to pitchers because they break down so easily. I really don't know why some people are surprised here. This was a no brainer that they would not offer him a QO.

And while I've often gotten on JR for being cheap, and I may do so again this winter - I wouldn't assume that not offering Rodon a QO means they wont spend elsewhere. He just doesn't want to hand 18 mil to a pitcher who never puts a full season together and ended this season with arm problems of some sort.

• Like 2

While I think Rodon is worth the risk on a QO, I’m going to trust the FO in regards to their knowledge of his health.  Hahn’s comments the other day really makes this no surprise.  We all have to hope they have those dollars earmarked for a FA starter with a better track record of health. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

But as Harold mentioned earlier, if the Sox have serious doubts about Rodon’s health, why risk spending more than 10 pct of your budget on him?  It’s just too risky.  Did everything forget the last two months of the season when the Sox basically didn’t want to pitch him because of his health.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to pay top AAV value with little upside, but lots of risk. Feel contrarian with the board, but thought Hahn had a much better season this year (Nov 2020 - October 2021) than his "Executive of the Year" season (Nov 2019 - October 2020), though with more cash. Hendriks and Lynn trade acquisitions had solid upside as compared to their payroll, Tepera pitched well and Hernandez made sense, just didn't work out. Eaton and Tony didn't make sense but Tony was never his decision. He also worked with Lucas to recruit Katz, the most valuable acquisition by far, responsible with Rodon and Cease's turnarounds.

If they can move Kimbrel, and they don't get dead cash in return, they hopefully have at least $20M to get a solid pitcher (perhaps Ray at 3/$60M). Still expect RF is an internal fill, possibly a low end 2B like Jose iglesias plus Leury's return, a quality $4M-$5M reliever to get payroll in the $160M-$165M range, which would still be a substantial increase from last season. Still think they need to catch 1 or 2 major upgrades with a bargain salary (like Dye (2005) or Rodon (2021)) to be serious contenders in October, hopefully Hahn and FO can find another Rodon and or snag a FA hitter with big upside.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They're definitely not going to dump a Top 3 NL pitcher to assume Kimbrel's deal....kind of counterproductive.

I’m certainly not advocating a Kimbrel for Wheeler deal as possible. 😆

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless Jimenez, Robert and Grandal are all Top 10-15 AL MVP candidates next year, we are not nearly as strong as we were on August 15th...or Vaughn puts up a massive sophomore campaign.

Basically this sums it up.  We are worse off now than we were last year.  Team got more expensive with the players we have, plus some big holes to fill.  The only way they are filling those holes is trading someone (Eloy) or going balls to the wall payroll wise.  One of those seems far more likely than the other.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Replacing his production isn't a one for one scenario.  Sign Scherzer and trade Keuchel.   Scherzer Kopech >> Rodon Keuchel. 

Can I have a million dollars, please?

Need starting pitching... let's see who they go get in free agency.

The QO is alot of $$ for a guy who can't stay healthy...maybe they think they can bring Carlos back for less or maybe they are just ready to move on?

I love Rodon. I’m a NC State grad and live a few miles from where he does in the off-season. As far as the QO, man I don’t know. It feels like a complete crap shoot with his health and durability.

It’s never been a question of wanting him at his best.

9 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

The only way that the Rodon QO decision wasn't the dumbest decision the White Sox FO has made in years is if Rodon needs offseason surgery.

Or if at some point next year he misses significant time, as he does pretty much every season.

The dude was awesome for us this season. But if Rich Hahn doesn't feel comfortable resting his entire 2022 hopes on Rodon's health, and wants to earmark those dollars on something he deems a little more certain, then how can we blame him?

Because if Hahn did offer the QO - Rodon certainly would of taken it. And if he broke down as he usually does, we would of all been calling Hahn stupid for throwing all his eggs in the basket of a chronically injured pitcher.

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

While I think Rodon is worth the risk on a QO, I’m going to trust the FO in regards to their knowledge of his health.  Hahn’s comments the other day really makes this no surprise.  We all have to hope they have those dollars earmarked for a FA starter with a better track record of health. 

As usual I will go for this in reply - are you sure that after this season, with Engel’s injury issues, with them seemingly believing Escobar had an issue that didn’t occur, with all the other injuries this team had…that the training staff deserves this confidence?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

The QO is alot of $$ for a guy who can't stay healthy...maybe they think they can bring Carlos back for less or maybe they are just ready to move on?

The QO would have been quite a good deal for the White Sox if he repeated what he did this year. The White Sox will face a major challenge finding that kind of performance for $18 million. It can be done, and perhaps he couldn’t live up to it this season based on something they believe they know about his shoulder, but this is a big loss.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just to be clear, he didn't get injured this year. His arm wore down due to having pitched a total of 40 innings combined the past two years.

Even if you think he gives you a 3.00 ERA over 150 innings, which is not a ridiculous expectation, that's well worth the QO.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pisses me off. Stupid move by Sox. 

I’m interested in where he signs and for how much. If another team has him examined and signs him to a multi year deal, I’m pissed with you. But I’ll wait and see how this turns out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pisses me off. Stupid move by Sox. 

There's 3 ways this goes:

1) Sox end up getting Carlos back on a longer deal with at less than $18.4/year

2) Sox sign a top FA starting pitcher target

3) Sox sign/trade for no FA starting pitchers or someone off the scrap heap.

We all know 3 is the most likely outcome and it will be infuriating. If it does end up being 1 or 2 then it will end up being the right move.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As usual I will go for this in reply - are you sure that after this season, with Engel’s injury issues, with them seemingly believing Escobar had an issue that didn’t occur, with all the other injuries this team had…that the training staff deserves this confidence?

I’m not endorsing the training staff or the decision not offer the QO.  They obviously know more than any of us do.  I think Rodon is worth the risk but I’m not going to be upset by the decision.  If they sign no starters or give out bad money I will be critical but I will reserve judgement until then. 

48 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They literally just fired their Director of Strength & Conditioning and are going in a new direction.

• Like 1