Sox give no qualifying offers

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Because this is the team the Sox are taking on Spring Training? On November 7th?

Why do so many here just toss out all logic and thought when one move happens? It’s like this is the first time anyone has ever gone through an offseason before. 

I feel like the Kimbrel trade and subsequent implosion has lowered the board’s IQ significantly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The fact that the Sox wouldn't even risk Rodon accepting for 18 million, even though QO's are almost always worth extending given 1 year deals have less risk, it's absolutely hilarious anyone thinks they're going to go after Scherzer.

I thought Kimbrel was supposed to signify this team was going to open the pocket books. Rodon was a no-brainer when it came to extending a QO. Worst case he signs on and he's a 5th-6th starter next season giving you 120-150 good innings. I'll argue all day that Rodon has more value than Kimbrel at this point in time too, and they cost nearly the same.

Worst case for Rodon is a lot worse than what you suggested. Also people really need to stop believing they have any intention of keeping Kimbrel. Even Bob N. said they would deal him, and he’s the unofficial Sox spokesman.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I feel like the Kimbrel trade and subsequent implosion has lowered the board’s IQ significantly. 

I certainly do not trust this organization to sign a "value" arm to replace Rodon. Rodon proved his ceiling was high when he did pitch. He was a good depth arm piece for next year with little risk after next year. That's if he accepted the QO; who even knows what he'd do?

I also don't think this is a good sign of a much-expanded budget. I don't think this team dishes out big money to sign anyone, so they're going to be relying on another unproven arm to fill his spot, while also relying on Keuchel, or they're going to sign a value arm who they've proven time and time again they're not very good at doing. I think the overall sign this paints is more troubling than the move; although I'd argue almost every QO is worth it.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

There is a very real chance the Sox have a bad offseason. Could very easily see it happening. But the early “moves” thus far really don’t tell us anything. 

I really think it has to do with social media in general. The longer it stays around, the dumber and more impatient we get. Every small piece of news is the biggest thing ever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The fact that the Sox wouldn't even risk Rodon accepting for 18 million, even though QO's are almost always worth extending given 1 year deals have less risk, it's absolutely hilarious anyone thinks they're going to go after Scherzer.

I thought Kimbrel was supposed to signify this team was going to open the pocket books. Rodon was a no-brainer when it came to extending a QO. Worst case he signs on and he's a 5th-6th starter next season giving you 120-150 good innings.

Again, what if they simply prefer other free agent starters?  This is a deep pitching class and most of them have far superior track records (health & performance) than Carlos.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Worst case for Rodon is a lot worse than what you suggested. Also people really need to stop believing they have any intention of keeping Kimbrel. Even Bob N. said they would deal him, and he’s the unofficial Sox spokesman. 

It's just money. If he's bad, he's bad. If they were going to act like the big boys, and open up the book, I think retaining Rodon is a no brainer given the other question marks they have in the rotation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Like I’ve said before, I’m very torn on Rodon in general so I’m very meh at this news.  I’m just going to sit back and see how the off-season plays out and then when I hate it like usual, I’ll get pissed at that point.

The real offseason won't legitimately start until Kimbrel is off the books...so we might be in for a long wait, especially if Conforto accepts the QO from NYM. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's just money. If he's bad, he's bad. If they were going to act like the big boys, and open up the book, I think retaining Rodon is a no brainer given the other question marks they have in the rotation.

But as Harold mentioned earlier, if the Sox have serious doubts about Rodon’s health, why risk spending more than 10 pct of your budget on him?  It’s just too risky.  Did everything forget the last two months of the season when the Sox basically didn’t want to pitch him because of his health.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Is there something to the Scherzer thing or just wishful thinking? 

The Sox might actually feel more comfortable signing him to a multi year deal as opposed to a younger player, as there’s no way Scherzer’s camp can reasonably ask for anything more than three years.

Yes I think they're going to try to sign Scherzer.  You make an excellent point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The real offseason won't legitimately start until Kimbrel is off the books...so we might be in for a long wait, especially if Conforto accepts the QO from NYM. 

The real offseason starts when we get the “eyes” emoji

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well, we read Kimbrel, Hernandez and Eduardo Escobar so well last deadline...might as well expect whatever is the opposite to occur just out of sheer luck. 

Which also means Rodon, Madrigal and Heuer all will inevitably be...terrible? 

Somehow I have a feeling we can't count on adding three All-Stars for 2022 unless they are already on the roster.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, what if they simply prefer other free agent starters?  This is a deep pitching class and most of them have far superior track records (health & performance) than Carlos.

The Sox don't sign pitchers to big money or long-term contracts.

I've said this the past two off-seasons; I'm done giving this team the benefit of the doubt when it comes to signing big free agents. I also absolutely am not giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to scouting fringe/undervalued MLB players. It's not their area of strength.

I'll also ask, who?

Greinke was about as bad as Keuchel down the stretch.
Verlander is 100 years old.
Kershaw is as fragile as Carlos at this point.
Scherzer the Sox are not going to sign.

So Ray, Gausman, Stro. I like Ray and Gausman, and wouldn't hate on either one. I think Gausman gets a pretty long and nice deal - 4 years + for 110-125 million. I have my doubts the Sox would go there for a pitcher his age. Ray is erratic but I think he gets a pretty big deal as well. I don't trust the Sox to win a bidding war on either of those arms so who they left with?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 8:35 AM, Dick Allen said:

To me, the answer is simple. Rodon gets a QO if his late season injury was just fatigue. If it was a legit shoulder concern, thanks for 2021 you were outstanding, but if you want to come back, getting really rich will require hitting on incentives.

Beyond obvious.  

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox don't sign pitchers to big money or long-term contracts.

I've said this the past two off-seasons; I'm done giving this team the benefit of the doubt when it comes to signing big free agents. I also absolutely am not giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to scouting fringe/undervalued MLB players. It's not their area of strength.

I'll also ask, who?

Greinke was about as bad as Keuchel down the stretch.
Verlander is 100 years old.
Kershaw is as fragile as Carlos at this point.
Scherzer the Sox are not going to sign.

So Ray, Gausman, Stro. I like Ray and Gausman, and wouldn't hate on either one. I think Gausman gets a pretty long and nice deal - 4 years + for 110-125 million. I have my doubts the Sox would go there for a pitcher his age. Ray is erratic but I think he gets a pretty big deal as well. I don't trust the Sox to win a bidding war on either of those arms so who they left with?

Loiaza is out of prison now...Q or Hector Santiago, probably.

Convert Hendriks back to starting, close with Kimbrel...trade Kimbrel again at ASB with Hendricks back to closer. Lol.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

There is a very real chance the Sox have a bad offseason. Could very easily see it happening. But the early “moves” thus far really don’t tell us anything. 

I really think it has to do with social media in general. The longer it stays around, the dumber and more impatient we get. Every small piece of news is the biggest thing ever.

Yes there’s no actual evidence that this is going to be a bad offseason based on anything so far.  

It’s just the general gut feeling from decades of fandom percolating to the surface for most I’m sure.