Kopech to Starting Rotation in 2022

bmags

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yep.  He's 26 and 3+ years removed from TJ.  He's as strong as he'll ever be so there's no reason to hold him back.  Take the kid gloves off and lets see what he can do. 

I thought he looked better in his starting games. Considering what we know, I think he is someone who probably appreciates the prep vs. getting thrown into games.

Just now, bmags said:

I thought he looked better in his starting games. Considering what we know, I think he is someone who probably appreciates the prep vs. getting thrown into games.

He actually threw more than fastball+slider when he started. I'm gonna guess he wasn't comfortable throwing the curveball without a good amount of time to warm up and get a good feel for it.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

He actually threw more than fastball+slider when he started. I'm gonna guess he wasn't comfortable throwing the curveball without a good amount of time to warm up and get a good feel for it.

that makes sense too. Embarrassing but i've been putting together some stuff on this topic, hope to post it today.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, chw42 said:

don't forget he has a really nice change-up too. I think the sox nixed these "feel" pitches when kopech went to the pen.

Just now, kleedawg said:

don't forget he has a really nice change-up too. I think the sox nixed these "feel" pitches when kopech went to the pen.

Probably. It really nerfed him as a pitcher. He got a bit too predictable as a reliever. 

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Crochet needs either a) to change the grip on his changeup to get more velocity separation or b) to scrap the change all together and go with a splitter

91-94 mph on the change isn't going to cut it when you're sitting 97. 

Things are different if he comes out at 99-102 next spring. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Crochet needs either a) to change the grip on his changeup to get more velocity separation or b) to scrap the change all together and go with a splitter

91-94 mph on the change isn't going to cut it when you're sitting 97. 

Things are different if he comes out at 99-102 next spring. 

For me the question is why no more 100+mph fastballs last year? Did he partially tear something in the A's playoff game? Was he not airing it out for some reason? I can understand not going full velocity early in the year when its cold or if you have to pace yourself as a starter. Maybe to get through a year you save it for the end of the year. But where was that hellacious velocity during the playoffs? He was pretty much unhittable in 2020. Is that stuff gone? 

I wonder if they know TJS is in the future and they are prolonging that?

I don't live locally, does any reporters every ask these questions? 

Finally, you can be underwhelmed and overwhelmed, but can you be whelmed? I'll hang up and listen.