Sox want Rodon back

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I want him back to. I am very supportive on giving him a long term deal that has the right blend of guarantees for Rodon but some form of discount given the real longevity concerns tied to him. I go back to - his stuff and pure arm talent are special and the fact Sox still want him tell me they think his issue was more fatigue. My hope is he continues to put in the work in the off-season as if he can do that and keep his core, I'll go 4 years with him and just cross my fingers  I get 2+ very good years.  

He might have been the best pitcher in baseball in the first half of the season (and if not the best - top 3).  Injuries or not - I'll take my chances on talent like that all day (but I've been a blind Rodon fan for years).  

Now the pressure shifts to getting at least one “win” with homegrown Rodon if Kimbrel and Hernandez (both were hyped as moves for 2022 as well the week of those trades) don’t work out…

Hopefully it’s a legit offer and not one of those “we endeavored diligently but just couldn’t quite get the proper framework in place that encompassed risk mitigation versus surplus value upside to be one of the top lefty starters in baseball in the prime of his career at age 29” Hahn-speak.

32 minutes ago, almagest said:

That's why I said, "assuming he is healthy"

Even with this past year’s relative success, why would you bet on him pitching over 170 innings absent ridiculously favorable odds?  Last year only Giolito pitched 170 innings.  Obviously none in 2020.  In 2019, three Sox pitchers went 170 innings, but two were named Noca and Lopez.

In 2020, 34 pitchers (both leagues) pitched more than 170 innings.  It’s just not common anymore, and Rodon is certainly not uncommon in this particular regard.

I like the story and hope he’s back, but don’t overpay for, hopefully, 125 innings.

• Like 2

I have to question the Sox handling of Rodon over his career. In the rush to turn him into a 'major league ready - lightning-in-a-bottle' next chapter Chris Sale from the day he was drafted; What damage was done in and to his longer term development?

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think I was the only one in the other Rodon thread predicting the Sox wouldn't extend him a QO, and seeing these quotes makes me think I was right.  We'll find out later today, eh?

There’s no way to replace Rodon’s quality in FA because all those guys in the $15-20 range will target long/er term deals except Scherzer, Verlander and Kershaw.

Does anyone see the Sox realistically going after one of them?

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s no way to replace Rodon’s quality in FA because all those guys in the $15-20 range will target long/er term deals except Scherzer, Verlander and Kershaw.

Does anyone see the Sox realistically going after one of them?

I mean, yes?  All depends on the budget Jerry has signed off on.  Realistically, failing to offer Rodon a QO means one of two things.  1). The budget is going to be significantly limited this year and we simply can’t afford him with all our other needs.  2). The Sox actually want a starter who is more likely to provide 170+ innings and be a factor in the postseason and are concerned Rodon will accept the QO.  Honestly, as much as I want Rodon back, a part of me sees the logic of the latter, especially when there are some good starters who might get shorter term deals.  Will be interesting to see what they do with the QO in the next day.