Kimbrel option expected to be exercised

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well first of all, they didn’t actually deal for him. Our team did. You complimented our pro scouts for it and then seem pretty down on the teams that didn’t.

But even with that - how are the Dodgers and Rays catchers behind the plate? The White Sox were near the top of the league in wild pitches, the Dodgers were near the bottom. Rays were 11th, Cubs were 15th, with about 30% fewer WP. So for that scouting detail, blocking his breaking ball, it was far less of a concern for the Dodgers, but was a major one for the White Sox. That is a specific detail that our pro scouts could have identified and did not. Why not?

I have no idea what your first paragraph is getting at.  Also, why are you blaming all our wild pitches on our catchers and not the pitchers?  We literally had six and four additional passed balls vs. the Dodgers & Rays.  And regardless, Zack Collins greatly skews our wild pitch totals vs. the guy who was expected to be our playoff catcher.  And I’m not sure why any of this matters, unless you’re suggesting a few extra passed balls is why his velocity dropped and his HR rate spiked with us.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no idea what your first paragraph is getting at.  Also, why are you blaming all our wild pitches on our catchers and not the pitchers?  We literally had six and four additional passed balls vs. the Dodgers & Rays.  And regardless, Zack Collins greatly skews our wild pitch totals vs. the guy who was expected to be our playoff catcher.  And I’m not sure why any of this matters, unless you’re suggesting a few extra passed balls is why his velocity dropped and his HR rate spiked with us.

Zavala is the biggest outlier.  The other guys weren't great, but he was Carlton Fisk in LF bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Funny I don’t bring up the Tepera deal when your literal excuse is “oh I was only referring to certain deals”? Come on man. 

And seriously, why am I called out for not seeing that Kimbrel will collapse while the pro scouts are deserving of compliments? If someone wants to pay me to do that for a living, then you could blame me, but you won’t do that with the people who are paid to evaluate that stuff.

They knew that Lynn and Rodon would both be leading the AL Cy Young race at the end of July...?  Then we have no worries, we are basically the Giants going forward.

Everything is currently pinned on Cease and Kopech being TOR starters, a Keuchel rebound and/or perfect health and continuing miracles from Lopez.

The Braves lost two members of their rotation and pitched over it, for example.

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Would you guys rather the Sox trade Kimbrel for prospects who can help the team down the line or major league piece(s) that can help the team now?

I want to get the most value, whatever that is. If good major league pieces aren't an option, take prospects and maybe they can be flipped to fill needs.

Edited by CentralChamps21

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, Jack Parkman said:

That's the only excuse for picking up the option. Everyone watched Kimbrel in August and September. He sucks. Nobody wants a shitty reliever for $16M. 

I think that if they think they're going to extract some value back they're sorely mistaken. Kimbrel at $16M has negative value. 

Apparently the Dodgers wanted a shitty reliever for $16M. What do they know though? How often do they ever win playoff series?

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think he'd get much more than 8M on a one year deal. 

So yes, that's what I believe. I think there's been too much terrible over the last 3 years from Kimbrel to think he's worth anything close to 16M

He's had stretches of greatness, but more stretches of terribad. 

Wait until the fact that the contract is immovable keeps the Sox from doing anything once the CBA is finalized. 

Morgan Freeman voice: That contract was, in fact, movable.