Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It surprised me last year that we never tried splitting the closing a little bit more, but then I remembered who our manager is.

I think Kimbrel’s problems went beyond just how he was used, but we should have given him more closer opportunities to find out at a bare minimum.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Kimbrel=Alex Rios in the all-time pantheon of interesting contract maneuvers...obviously, much less of a commitment financially but pretty much universally-disliked for their time with the Sox

So the return for Kimbrel will be a super utility guy who is both loved and hated on this board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Kimbrel’s problems went beyond just how he was used, but we should have given him more closer opportunities to find out at a bare minimum.

The problem is now we still don't know.  It kept failing,  and we kept doing the same thing over and over again.

• Like 1

The Phillies are in an interesting spot for a Kimbrel trade. Rhys Hoskins is awful at 1B and their recent 1st round pick Alex Bohm can’t play 3B. Phillies also have a bad bullpen and no definite closer….Hoskins for Kimbrel? Puts a big LH bat in the middle of our order. DH only though. 

Of course if universal DH is adopted is could easy make the Phillies a lot less interested. 

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The Phillies are in an interesting spot for a Kimbrel trade. Rhys Hoskins is awful at 1B and their recent 1st round pick Alex Bohm can’t play 3B. Phillies also have a bad bullpen and no definite closer….Hoskins for Kimbrel? Puts a big LH bat in the middle of our order. DH only though. 

Of course if universal DH is adopted is could easy make the Phillies a lot less interested. 

He’s a righty hitter

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The extra line in this tweet seems important. 

Hahn trying to say Kimbrel was only bad because he wasn't in a closer role is just Hahn trying to maximize Kimbrel's trade value. He's trying to convince other GMs that if they trade for Kimbrel and put him back in the 9th inning role, they'll be getting the lockdown version of Kimbrel.

Maybe he's right. And maybe this is the smart way to approach it. But it's pretty obvious what he's doing.

Edited by KrankinSox

15 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Hahn trying to say Kimbrel was only bad because he wasn't in a closer role is just Hahn trying to maximize Kimbrel's trade value. He's trying to convince other GMs that if they trade for Kimbrel and put him back in the 9th inning role, they'll be getting the lockdown version of Kimbrel.

Maybe he's right. And maybe this is the smart way to approach it. But it's pretty obvious what he's doing.

Well I can tell you it’s what other teams and scouts also believe 

23 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I totally agree. What is Rick going to say when asked about Kimbrel? 

"We picked up his option only to trade him. He was TERRIBLE for us but we are really hopeful someone will take him off our hands, otherwise it really screws up our off-season plans." 

This is all Rick just trying to pretend the Sox might actually keep him, but there is just no way that's the plan. Rick could have 100% overplayed his hand and there aren't any takers for him, but I believe with almost certainty Rick feels like he can trade him without much problem. 

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

We know he would be great at taking the dog for a walk.  If you need to clean anything out, he can load up the bags.  He can't make pancakes though.  He loses control and hits the batter too often.

Alright, that's all I got.  I'll show myself out. 

I can give you Tuesdays at midnight in my garage.  No pay, work for tips.  Warning: raccoons are aggressive around here at night.  Nah, seriously, you're funny.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It surprised me last year that we never tried splitting the closing a little bit more, but then I remembered who our manager is.

Me too, but saying this now could be a ruse, as others have posted.

• Thanks 1