Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

Something that has not been discussed on this board that everyone needs to take into account as it became glaring in the post season was how beat down starting pitching was because of the short 2020 season.  This may have played a role in Kimbrel's tapering off who knows. 

The White Sox tried to mitigate this but were unsuccessful. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Kimbrel for Segura is as obvious of a trade as it gets, if the Phillies are willing to deal from their big league roster.

The inevitable Kimbrel trade taking out one huge 2022 hole/need with authority sounds too good to be true.

If this is in realm of possible, I am guessing we would need to include a prospect or two.  If they are looking for something major league ready, I wonder if they’d have any interest in Jake Burger to challenge Bohm at 3B while providing power off the bench.  

10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Kimbrel for Segura is as obvious of a trade as it gets, if the Phillies are willing to deal from their big league roster.

While it makes sense, it doesn't help the Sox save any money. $15.25M vs $16M.

At that point you should have just picked up Cesar's option and saved $9M, as Cesar and Segura have put up similar numbers over the last few years, except Segura only bats righty.🤷

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

At that point you should have just picked up Cesar's option and saved $9M, as Cesar and Segura have put up similar numbers over the last few years, except Segura only bats righty.🤷

If Cesar is a better player/hitter than Segura next season, I wouldn't be surprised. There's a worthy conversation to be had on if it's rational for the Sox to flip from acquiring Kimbrel/Cesar to be 2 year solutions and then bailing on it because of 2 bad months. At least in Cesar's case, the Sox could probably bring him back for cheaper than his option price. But hopefully they're aiming higher at 2B and that should have been the plan all along anyways.

But I think there's a lot of value in Segura's ability to play a passable SS. Cesar obviously doesn't give you that, and I don't think there's anyone in the organization currently that would project to be above replacement level at SS aside from TA. Even in the best case scenario, it seems like Tim is capped at around 140 games because the Sox give him so many maintenance days during the season. He's been on the IL 3 straight years with various soft tissue injuries. The Sox have to be ready to play a chunk of their season without him next year, whether that's because a soft tissue injury flares up again, or the number of days off he'll naturally get throughout the course of the season.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I’d rather spend $10M on Eduardo Escobar than trade Kimbrel for Segura.  Both are very similar players, but Escobar provides much more power while Segura offer superior on-base abilities.  Ultimately if I’m looking to add a 9th place hitter to this lineup, I’d rather have the guy who can run into 25 bombs than a guy who gets on base more frequently, especially if it saves me $4M in the process.  And Rick specifically mentioned power as something they would need to continue adding.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, if you were a GM and in desperate need of a closer, who would you rather have?

• Player A: 70.0 IP | 13.2 K/9 | 2.83 FIP | 97th % xwOBA | 2.0 fWAR | 2.62 High Lev FIP
  • Player B: 59.2 IP | 15.1 K/9 | 2.43 FIP | 98th % xwOBA | 2.2 fWAR | 0.74 High Lev FIP

b

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, if you were a GM and in desperate need of a closer, who would you rather have?

• Player A: 70.0 IP | 13.2 K/9 | 2.83 FIP | 97th % xwOBA | 2.0 fWAR | 2.62 High Lev FIP
  • Player B: 59.2 IP | 15.1 K/9 | 2.43 FIP | 98th % xwOBA | 2.2 fWAR | 0.74 High Lev FIP

Raisel Iglesias over second half Craig Kimbrel.

Kimbrel was worth 0.0 fWAR to the White Sox, all of that value accrued to his time with the Cubs.

And their respective ages are somewhat germane, as Iglesias will end up signing a 3-4 year deal with someone.

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Kimbrel was worth 0.0 fWAR to the White Sox, all of that value accrued to his time with the Cubs.

And their respective ages are somewhat germane, as Iglesias will end up signing a 3-4 year deal with someone.

You're so smart caulfield! Gotta let everybody know you figured it out!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Remember, only his value with the White Sox counts right?

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Player B is also on a one year deal at market rate and doesn't require you giving up a draft pick. I think that part is very important. 

• Like 1