Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

Just now, chw42 said:

Player B is also on a one year deal at market rate and doesn't require you giving up a draft pick. I think that part is very important. 

Exactly my point.  What kind of contract does Iglesias get?  Plus you have to give up a pick. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather have Iglesias if I could have for 1/$16M, but the cost will be substantially higher than that.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d rather spend $10M on Eduardo Escobar than trade Kimbrel for Segura.  Both are very similar players, but Escobar provides much more power while Segura offer superior on-base abilities.  Ultimately if I’m looking to add a 9th place hitter to this lineup, I’d rather have the guy who can run into 25 bombs than a guy who gets on base more frequently, especially if it saves me $4M in the process.  And Rick specifically mentioned power as something they would need to continue adding.

I think it depends on how you interpret the Kimbrel market. I don't think the Sox should wait too long before moving him if they think the market for him will be soft. Segura may end up being the best value they can get for him while it also fills a hole very competently. If you wait too long your options for high value for Kimbrel decrease and your other options to fill holes dwindle.

Maybe you can't get Escobar for $10M and you also might have to wait for him if you don't want to pay what Segura gets.  Segura also gives the Sox a little more versatility. Having a competent backup for Tim is important. I also like the higher batting average and contact rate. The bombs and being a switch hitter are important for Escobar but when you just need a hit or contact Segura is better at that aspect.

If you can get Escobar early for $10M you better have a strong market for Kimbrel.

4 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wonder if the Sox were to trade Kimbrel to the Angels if they can get Sam Bachman in return. He's who the Angels took in this past draft in the first round.

That would be very unlikely, unless the Sox paid a significant portion of Kimbrel's salary. 

Edited by Lillian

On 11/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it depends on how you interpret the Kimbrel market. I don't think the Sox should wait too long before moving him if they think the market for him will be soft. Segura may end up being the best value they can get for him while it also fills a hole very competently. If you wait too long your options for high value for Kimbrel decrease and your other options to fill holes dwindle.

Maybe you can't get Escobar for $10M and you also might have to wait for him if you don't want to pay what Segura gets.  Segura also gives the Sox a little more versatility. Having a competent backup for Tim is important. I also like the higher batting average and contact rate. The bombs and being a switch hitter are important for Escobar but when you just need a hit or contact Segura is better at that aspect.

If you can get Escobar early for $10M you better have a strong market for Kimbrel.

Honestly, Segura fits right in with this team's philosophy on offense. He hits the ball on the ground over half the time. 

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2021 at 5:14 PM, maxjusttyped said:

Kimbrel for Segura is as obvious of a trade as it gets, if the Phillies are willing to deal from their big league roster.

My understanding is that the Phillies are trying to compete, so I question as to why Philadelphia would blow a hole in their MLB roster in exchange for Kimbrel.

A quick glance at their MiLB depth chart shows that they have a couple 'spects that had their first cups of coffee @ AAA in 2021, but I don't know if Phila believe in them or not.

I guess I dont see the motivation for Philadelphia to give up Segura, if they don't have alternative options at the position. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

My understanding is that the Phillies are trying to compete, so I question as to why Philadelphia would blow a hole in their MLB roster in exchange for Kimbrel.

A quick glance at their MiLB depth chart shows that they have a couple 'spects that had their first cups of coffee @ AAA in 2021, but I don't know if Phila believe in them or not.

I guess I dont see the motivation for Philadelphia to give up Segura, if they don't have alternative options at the position. 

You could readily convince me that a team with Seager or Correa at SS is better than a team with Segura there. 

But...can you count on the Phillies making all of that work without knowing what the luxury tax might look like? Nah.

10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Is there any way we can get Bryson Scott from them?  Maybe take on the Gregorias contract to minimize the cost of Kimbrel?

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You could readily convince me that a team with Seager or Correa at SS is better than a team with Segura there. 

But...can you count on the Phillies making all of that work without knowing what the luxury tax might look like? Nah.

No idea, which is why I don't see them being in on those players, at least as things stand now.

38 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Is there any way we can get Bryson Scott from them?  Maybe take on the Gregorias contract to minimize the cost of Kimbrel?

Stott is a top 100 prospect, I believe. But I think his ETA to The Show might not be until mid-season? To your question, I dunno.

19 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Can we get him for something involving Kimbrel?

They would have to include a really good second player.  Dombrowski was at the game too.  My guess is he's either eyeing him up to play 2B/SS this year or if he's under direction to win now at all costs move him for a big time dude like Buxton.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Maybe the White Sox will do the smart thing with the new budget news, eat some salary and get a legitimate prospect or two. 

That won't help the old men in the room but will replenish what was lost on this trade.

I think this is the route to go, even if you have to eat $4M/25% of the salary. 

The Sox are going to be drafting pretty low for a while, this is a good opportunity to get some good, young talent into the system so you can have reinforcements in 2024/2025  and keep the window of contention open. Player development is even more important now than it was earlier in the rebuild.