Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn’t call either high quality

What is their organization ranking?  I thought Cepeda was something like #2 with Sanchez top 10 and rising.

Looked it up and Cepeda is #2 and Sanchez is #15.  IMO that is still a stiff price for 1 year for even a good player.

Edited by poppysox
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Unfortunately the teams mentioned aren’t ideal there. I do wonder …would Philly part with Eflins risk? Would Sox take it?

Always felt like he had a lot more in there and I think Katz has shown promise in his teaching, and harnessing guys with more break.

I wish Phillies still had spencer howard

I think Bailey Falter and Hans Crouse are better pitchers in that mold than anything in the Sox system. Those guys both make sense to me as trade targets if the Sox end up signing Semien, like I very much hope they do.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, bmags said:

Ohh I wasn't even thinking for sox sales.

I mean if phils would be interested in a Kimbrel for Segura swap, freeing the position to go after a top IFer like Semien while locking down the bullpen.

He has stuff that is good (high contact) but stuff that is bad (also very groundball heavy).  But their salary matches and he has 1 year left on his deal.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:52 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What is his trade value now? What about a Segura swap with the Phillies?  Doesn't reduce payroll at all, but it does provide at a bigger need.

I was going to cali-clap for myself thinking I originated pointing out Kimbrel for segura but it was our @Squirmin' for Yermin congrats 🍾 

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think Bailey Falter and Hans Crouse are better pitchers in that mold than anything in the Sox system. Those guys both make sense to me as trade targets if the Sox end up signing Semien, like I very much hope they do.

Never heard of them, will slice em and dice em now. Good stuff!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

What is their organization ranking?  I thought Cepeda was something like #2 with Sanchez top 10 and rising.

Cespedes is #2 from the midseason rankings at Future Sox but it's apparent  some of that was based on Paddy calling him MLB ready and the dearth of good prospects in the organization now but he did have a nice 1st year adjusting to the states and from his time away from playing.. Yolbert went up from 27 to 17 and has some helium based on his good showing in the AFL.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Cespedes is #2 from the midseason rankings at Future Sox but it's apparent  some of that was based on Paddy calling him MLB ready and the dearth of good prospects in the organization now but he did have a nice 1st year adjusting to the states and from his time away from playing.. Yolbert went up from 27 to 17 and has some helium based on his good showing in the AFL.

Scouting reports on Cespedes are awful this year, to be honest

2 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

So a high priced salary for another RHH who is nothing special against righties? Great job, Rick.

And then they will use Segura's salary as an excuse for why they couldn't sign Conforto. 

If Philly really wants to make a trade the bring in a third team so we can get something that we actually need.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

So a high priced salary for another RHH who is nothing special against righties? Great job, Rick.

And then they will use Segura's salary as an excuse for why they couldn't sign Conforto. 

If Philly really wants to make a trade the bring in a third team so we can get something that we actually need.

You don’t need to have superstars at every position. 

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

You don’t need to have superstars at every position. 

Who is asking for that? Who even mentioned that? 

But it's fair to ask if acquiring someone like Jean Segura is redundant given how this lineup is currently constructed. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

But we do need to have legit righty killers at at least some positions. 

Yes but the problem is the FA for second basemen isn’t that good this year. Escobar is the only one that I would really target as a FA. Semien is going to be really expensive and his age is up there. Plus he really has had only two good season’s on his resume.

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Who is asking for that? Who even mentioned that? 

But it's fair to ask if acquiring someone like Jean Segura is redundant given how this lineup is currently constructed. 

Who else do you have in mind for second base than except for maybe Escobar? I would like to get your take on it.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The thing is most of these LH/SH options at 2B mentioned are just average vs RHP.

And Segura is … Avg vs RHP

Which means since we have a "budget" we shouldn't blow all the financial savings from unloading Kimbrel on someone who is avg vs RHP. 

If that's the case, just get Kemp or whatever and use your ammo to secure Conforto.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

“Segura has a 98 wRC+ as a RHH vs RHP”

Soxtalk: “BOOOOO”

“Escobar has a 98 wRC+ as a SH vs RHP”

Soxtalk: “Yaaaaaaaaay”

Segura has a 52.1% groundball rate and .146 ISO.

Escobar has a 31.5% groundball rate and .219 ISO.

I wonder which is the better fit for our offense?  🤔

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Which means since we have a "budget" we shouldn't blow all the financial savings from unloading Kimbrel on someone who is avg vs RHP. 

If that's the case, just get Kemp or whatever and use your ammo to secure Conforto.

But Segura had a tremendous year defensively according to baseballsavant, and considering our infield that matters. Kemp among 2b was toward bottom

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Who else do you have in mind for second base than except for maybe Escobar? I would like to get your take on it.

Chris Taylor has remarkably even splits against RH and LH pitchers and would fit in very nicely with this team…as one option. 

I didn’t say I was against acquiring a RH hitting 2B. But just because someone doesn’t want to use Kimbrel to acquire Jean Segura doesn’t mean “they expect superstars at every position.”