Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Names I’ve heard mentioned in regards to Phillies talks with White Sox: Jean Segura obviously. Rafael Marchan, Moniak, Kingery and Jose Alverado. I’d be good with Segura, Alverado and Marchan. Moniak is pointless 

Trading for Moniak feels like trading for Lux: someone we’re hoping develops and takes a major step forward while we want to win.

I’ve really tried to talk myself into being cool with Segura, but the more I look into his numbers, I would have rather they just not picked up Kimbrel’s option if he’s the main piece.  Also, for a guy with perceived attitude issues in the past, I wonder how much he’d like batting 9th.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Moniak is like getting soap for christmas

It can get worse. When I was 7 my aunt got me a used hot wheel with only 3 of the 4 wheels attached. And it wouldn't move after winding it up. I should have known I was in trouble when I heard my mom complaining about her gift of Johnson and Johnson baby oil that was actually wrapped nicely. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve really tried to talk myself into being cool with Segura, but the more I look into his numbers, I would have rather they just not picked up Kimbrel’s option if he’s the main piece.  Also, for a guy with perceived attitude issues in the past, I wonder how much he’d like batting 9th.

They would likely get better production with Kimbrel plus one of the lower priced 2B out there (Villar, Harrison, Iglesias, Cesar) than Segura plus a random $2M-$3M FA reliever. Kimbrel will likely bounce back now that he has a solid innings workload under his belt for the first time since 2018. Same with Keuchel. I believe they will keep one or both of the two, can see Keuchel vesting for 2023 as well.

Far rather get Lux than another old overpriced veteran at the end of their career.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They would likely get better production with Kimbrel plus one of the lower priced 2B out there (Villar, Harrison, Iglesias, Cesar) than Segura plus a random $2M-$3M FA reliever. Kimbrel will likely bounce back now that he has a solid innings workload under his belt for the first time since 2018. Same with Keuchel. I believe they will keep one or both of the two, can see Keuchel vesting for 2023 as well.

Far rather get Lux than another old overpriced veteran at the end of their career.

Pretty sure everyone would take lux, that’s unfortunately just not really our options.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It can get worse. When I was 7 my aunt got me a used hot wheel with only 3 of the 4 wheels attached. And it wouldn't move after winding it up. I should have known I was in trouble when I heard my mom complaining about her gift of Johnson and Johnson baby oil that was actually wrapped nicely. 

I'd say it's the thought that counts....but that maybe makes those gifts sound even worse.

• Haha 1

I don't believe MLB would allow the Sox to trade Kimbrel for any thing, I believe it has to be a who. The thread title is technically incorrect.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact he can only close.  Imagine if Hahn traded for a below average set up man and said he's going to be a Top 5 closer because there isn't enough pressure in the 8th. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah It’s hard not knowing the broader view. I get annoyed when the board treats solid players like they are trash. Mainly, I’ve been grossed out by the defense of most of the options - and that’s what I liked about Segura.

But I kinda think it’s Phil’s pushing Segura. So I do wonder if this can be a deal we shed Keuchel.

Who knows. 

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

We aren’t getting Lux for Kimbrel dude.  And no way in hell do they let Keuchel’s option vest under any circumstance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pretty sure everyone would take lux, that’s unfortunately just not really our options.

Well, if they expand the trade beyond just Kimbrel, it's within possible options. Dodgers are the only team able and willing to take on large $ contracts, at least with the current CBA "luxury" tax.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Names I’ve heard mentioned in regards to Phillies talks with White Sox: Jean Segura obviously. Rafael Marchan, Moniak, Kingery and Jose Alverado. I’d be good with Segura, Alverado and Marchan. Moniak is pointless 

If PHI really wants Kimbrel we need to get a third team involved in the trade so that Chicago can actually get something useful as a return.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Trading for Moniak feels like trading for Lux: someone we’re hoping develops and takes a major step forward while we want to win.

Alvarado, it should be...correcting the names from Phillies' list from previous post.

Would honestly rather watch Leury for 145 games than Kingery, and that's saying something.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would probably make Crochett available I’d think, then could Vaughn + Crochett headline a deal for Bryan Reynolds. Maybe then go all in for Scherzer

2 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Would probably make Crochett available I’d think, then could Vaughn + Crochett headline a deal for Bryan Reynolds. Maybe then go all in for Scherzer

I love your ambition but we’ve officially reached the loonyville portion of the off-season.

Notice the use of “we’ve” rather than “you’ve”.

34 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

i listening to MLB network while driving to GA. Billy Eppler, mets GM, said they would take on a contract to get a good prospect. So Keuchel & Burger for...?

Depends on the CBA. If there was a $100 million payroll minimum hypothetically, then Keuchel might be movable without adding much. No minimum payroll but DH in the NL and that probably makes Keuchel and Burger enough to get rid of the full contract. Right now, Keuchel and Burger might be enough to get you partial relief from that contract.

12 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Reynolds still has three years of control?  Tempting , but I'll hate seeing Vaughn tear up pitching for the next 15 years wearing another uniform.

Just sign Conforto and keep Andrew.  

He's our new Paulie.  Even the Big Hurt eventually gave way, Jose isn't forever.