Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If this guy is worth any salt - I can’t see how a trade including Segura for the Phils could be considered “very bad”.

This whole thing is bizarre.

Yeah his opinion doesn’t mean anything if his thought process is any deal involving Segura for Kimbrel is an overpay 

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If this guy is worth any salt - I can’t see how a trade including Segura for the Phils could be considered “very bad”.

This whole thing is bizarre.

I’m thinking the framework of the deal has already been agreed to, just some things need to be worked out for the deal to go through but who knows. It’s quite bizarre.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Why wouldn't the Phillies simply sign Kenley Jansen for cash?

Maybe Kimbrel for 1 year is better than Kenley for 3-4 years?  Maybe Kenley is going to demand more than 16 per year?  Maybe they don't believe in Kenley.  Maybe Dombrowski knows Kimbrel and thinks he can get the best out of him.  Those are the reasons of which I can think in 15 seconds, there are probably more.  

Edited by turnin' two

53 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Maybe Kimbrel for 1 year is better than Kenley for 3-4 years?  

I believe there is where most of Kimbrel’s value is.

A team can acquire an (arguably) elite closer for a “win-now” season without handing out a large multi-year deal.  They also would not have to get into a monetary bidding war with another team.  If the team has expendable resources, they can simply acquire Kimbrel for one season at a predetermined salary.  

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Acquiring a player mid season and promising them a closer role is a defacto demotion for one of your best performing players to that point. That TLR may have gone rogue and undermined it just highlights that it was a pretty complicated plan to impose mid season on a role that was working reasonably well. 

I don't think this was the case. I am reading that as some mixing and matching instead of just dumping one or the other. But apparently playing match ups or moving pieces around to try to maximize success was too much for our HOF person manager. 

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Maybe Kimbrel for 1 year is better than Kenley for 3-4 years?  Maybe Kenley is going to demand more than 16 per year?  Maybe they don't believe in Kenley.  Maybe Dombrowski knows Kimbrel and thinks he can get the best out of him.  Those are the reasons of which I can think in 15 seconds, there are probably more.  

I would be shocked if Jansen got 4 years.  You hedged a bit with 3, but 2 or an incentives~based third year feels like the likeliest scenario.  Also depends ultimately on what happens with Raisel Iglesias.  Just not sure it's such a slam dunk that Dombrowski will risk his last GM job on overpaying for Craig Kimbrel as some of these scenarios are suggesting.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I would be shocked if Jansen got 4 years.  You hedged a bit with 3, but 2 or an incentives~based third year feels like the likeliest scenario.  Also depends ultimately on what happens with Raisel Iglesias.  Just not sure it's such a slam dunk that Dombrowski will risk his last GM job on overpaying for Craig Kimbrel as some of these scenarios are suggesting.

Graveman just got three years, zero chance Jansen doesn’t unless he resigns with the Dodgers under team friendly terms.