Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

31 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Met’s roster is getting a bit crowded after their signings yesterday….wonder if Jeff McNeil would be available? LH bat that can play 2B or OF. Coming off a down/injury plagued year though. But I could see Kimbrel being a splash piece Cohen and the Mets want to go after 

Yeah…even if the NL gets the DH, they have Dom Smith for that. Basically either trade/turn McNeil into a bench player with his versatility , or trade/release Cano. Or trade Nimmo.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably because he doesn't think Kimbrel is worth anything.

Yeah, there's probably going to be different views on this one. Some may think the Sox caused his regression and returning him to his closer role will bring back the dominant Craig. Others may think 'Bad Craig' is back and that's what they will get. Personally, if I was a fan of another team in need of a closer, I wouldn't touch Kimbrel with a 10 foot pole.

Edited by Sarava

13 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah, there's probably going to be different views on this one. Some may think the Sox caused his regression and returning him to his closer role will bring back the dominant Craig. Others may think 'Bad Craig' is back and that's what they will get. Personally, if I was a fan of another team in need of a closer, I wouldn't touch Kimbrel with a 10 foot pole.

Yep there are people who think just getting anyone to pay the whole contract and get a tiny nothing piece in return would've been good and they might not be wrong.  There are also people who would rather have the payroll flexibility than trade him for Segura and Sox fans who think Segura an expensive, old,  piece who bats with the wrong hand. Then there are the Phillie fans who think Segura is a valuable piece and Kimbrel is worthless.

If he does go to the Phils we are going to have some controversy on Soxtalk unless somehow the Sox get the Phils to eat his whole contract and get a B and C  prospects.

30 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah…even if the NL gets the DH, they have Dom Smith for that. Basically either trade/turn McNeil into a bench player with his versatility , or trade/release Cano. Or trade Nimmo.

I actually completely forgot Robinson Cano existed. I read your post and thought “wow, this guy is way off, Cano has been retired for years.” Nope apparently Cano still exists…who knew. I highly doubt the Mets are counting on him at all coming back from suspension. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I actually completely forgot Robinson Cano existed. I read your post and thought “wow, this guy is way off, Cano has been retired for years.” Nope apparently Cano still exists…who knew. I highly doubt the Mets are counting on him at all coming back from suspension. 

Yeah which is why I don’t think it’s entirely crazy they just move on from him and resolve this roster crunch.

8 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He was playing in one of the winter leagues, and now has a back issue. I doubt the Mets could have traded him without eating most of his money anyway, but now they might as well just hold on to him and see what happens in spring training. 

I think personally that even as a pro -Segura-is-a-solid-player person that he would be more of a target to include from the Phil’s side. I don’t know why, but I think they will go after Baez.

So if I am Hahn, I think that’s a scenario where Id push to shed more, and that would be Keuchel.

But a Kimbrel/Keuchel for Segura/Marchon package frees up $19M from Sox and seems unlikely.

A big win from my side is if we send out Kimbrel to LA for some mid level, ML near guys.

Getting Jacob Amaya or James Outman adds some much needed position player depth that plays across the field, and opens up 40-man spots for dodgers, where Sox have a good amount.

Kimbrel for Outman, Amaya would add a much needed defensive SS (unless you think Sanchez is that) and upgrades Luis Gonzalez, both with guys who if they refund their bat (Amaya) or bat is real (outman) add some real talent.

And it seems Sox could get a better player if Eat some cost.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I wouldn't either...but someone will IMO.

I don't know why the Sox would be in a hurry to trade Kimbrel especially if the coming days are as crazy as we think they're going to be. More than a few teams are going to miss out on their reliever targets and when the lockout is over they will be scrambling for help.  If I were Hahn I'd sit on this until after the lockout when there should be a hotter market. 

9 hours ago, hi8is said:

Wonder if the Padres would have interest in Kimbrel for Frazier.

Well Frazier just got traded to the Mariners so he was available. Good call on that. Doesn't sound like much of a return. 26 yr old minor league relief pitcher and a 12th round draft pick who is 21 and hit .390 in A ball but only 141 PA.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know why the Sox would be in a hurry to trade Kimbrel especially if the coming days are as crazy as we think they're going to be. More than a few teams are going to miss out on their reliever targets and when the lockout is over they will be scrambling for help.  If I were Hahn I'd sit on this until after the lockout when there should be a hotter market. 

Let’s be honest though, the market for $16M relievers is incredibly small.  I’d wager there is far more risk than reward by holding and if you get a solid offer you should move Kimbrel now.

51 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well Frazier just got traded to the Mariners so he was available. Good call on that. Doesn't sound like much of a return. 26 yr old minor league relief pitcher and a 12th round draft pick who is 21 and hit .390 in A ball but only 141 PA.

Damn. I wonder what we’ve got going on if we weren’t willing to get Frazier. 🤔

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

There's a risk here. If the Phillies find another closer, you may be stuck holding the bag.

Yes but why would they sell now if offers are improving. I think @Harold's Leg Lift is right, they would be better off holding out if they will receive a higher return later on. That’s probably what the holdup is.

Edited by maloney.adam