Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

How can anyone see what Hahn said today and not think he’s being traded after the lockout?

It always seemed like the smart thing to do.  What's the rush?  The bullpen is a neccessary evil and teams will be scrambling to add arms after the lockout ends.  Why wouldn't they wait for when his market will be at it's highest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It always seemed like the smart thing to do.  What's the rush?  The bullpen is a neccessary evil and teams will be scrambling to add arms after the lockout ends.  Why wouldn't they wait for when his market will be at it's highest. 

Just look around, barely any trades have been made.  No reason to worry about Kimbrel yet.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not worried in the least.

With the Phillies and Angels off the board, seemingly Arizona....who is desperate for a closer now?

Toronto?

Padres?

Rays....although NOT really, they have Castillo and Kittredge and a shoestring budget.

Dodgers?

K. Jansen still looming out there, he will fill one of those...in all likelihood.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

With the Phillies and Angels off the board, seemingly Arizona....who is desperate for a closer now?

Toronto?

Padres?

Rays....although NOT really, they have Castillo and Kittredge and a shoestring budget.

Dodgers?

K. Jansen still looming out there, he will fill one of those...in all likelihood.

Rangers, Cardinals, Cubs

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rangers, Cardinals, Cubs

I can't get the copy and paste formatting from Closer Monkey.com (a real site name) to work.

Cardinals relying on Jordan Hicks' return and then Gallegos as their back-up.

Cubs would take him back for what, exactly?

Padres, it would be Kimbrel for Kim or Profar, but then are either of those two going to outproduce Leury???

Over the next 2-3 seasons, that wouldn't save any money from the overall payroll, either.

Dodgers could easily go with Treinen, Graterol combination and add at mid-season, or bring back Jansen as well at lower salary.

Blue Jays, MAYBE???

*Jordan Romano Adam Cimber Tim Mayza (Yates signed with Yankees, 2 years/$8.25 million)  

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, rockren said:

I still think this is setup man money.

Besides- Segura's contract still washes Kimbrel's with a prospect from Philly thrown in.  I still think Philly is the favorite to get him.

But now they have multiple guys with closing experience.

They don't have to do anything...unless the White Sox are willing to take Gregorious instead of Kimbrel.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And IMO - he’s worth $16 million to Rick Hahn, but to no one else.

I would think that Rick Hahn thinks he's worth substantially greater than $16 million in the market.  That would explain picking up the option for the purpose of trading him.

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I would think that Rick Hahn thinks he's worth substantially greater than $16 million in the market.  That would explain picking up the option for the purpose of trading him.

At least Hahn finally finds himself pawning the aged veteran for something young and talented. Bet he doesn’t do nearly as well as others have done against him.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 1

I know segura has been talked at length. If we are getting a veteran for Kimbrel who may be available, how about Randal grichek?  I’d prefer payroll flex and minor leaguers, but thought he may feel right field. Looks like three years and about 28 million left on his contract? He was mentioned in trade talks prior to lock out. Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Backwash07 said:

I know segura has been talked at length. If we are getting a veteran for Kimbrel who may be available, how about Randal grichek?  I’d prefer payroll flex and minor leaguers, but thought he may feel right field. Looks like three years and about 28 million left on his contract? He was mentioned in trade talks prior to lock out. Thoughts? 

Grichuk kind of sucks (RH, low OBP, high SO), and the Sox would be taking on a decent chunk of salary in 2023 as well. I really hope they didn’t exercise Kimbrel’s option for that. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/yankees-blue-jays-red-sox-reportedly-most-aggressive-suitors-for-seiya-suzuki.html

At that point, there’s a decent chance of Suzuki winding up in the AL East, according to a report from Sean McAdam of Boston Sports Journal. “One major league source reports the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox have been the most aggressive in pursuit of Suzuki,” McAdam writes.

Yankees sign Suzuki and then flip Gallo for Kimbrel+? It's probably wishful thinking, but a trade for Gallo might be realistic if they're pursuing other outfielders.

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/yankees-blue-jays-red-sox-reportedly-most-aggressive-suitors-for-seiya-suzuki.html

Yankees sign Suzuki and then flip Gallo for Kimbrel+? It's probably wishful thinking, but a trade for Gallo might be realistic if they're pursuing other outfielders.

They're really going to trust Suzuki as a starter but not Gallo, based on what?

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't think Suzuki is signing to be a 4th outfielder. Stanton has DH filled, RF is locked in with Judge, the options for where Suzuki plays start to look limited if they add him to their current roster.

23 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wasn't Gallo considered a flop with the Yankees? They probably want to move on to literally anything else.

6 hours ago, Sarava said:

Wasn't Gallo considered a flop with the Yankees? They probably want to move on to literally anything else.

He’s got a much more extensive record of performance than, let’s say, Cesar Hernandez.

If they want to dump him, the Sox should be quite interested.

Plus, the AL Central isn’t nearly as competitive as the AL East.   Solves the Conforto lineup balancing quandary without the 4-6 year commitment.