Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

8 hours ago, Sarava said:

Wasn't Gallo considered a flop with the Yankees? They probably want to move on to literally anything else.

The Yankees could have moved on by declining him arbitration, although that will earn him far less than Kimbrel they did in fact tender him a contract.

Every time I hear Kimbrel's name, I shudder.  I would love to have been a fly on Hahn's wall when he was discussing the trade last summer.  Here we had an expensive Cub relief pitcher who they obviously did not want or need, and Hahn walked into the void.  You would think that Heuer alone would have been more than enough, because Heuer was, in fact, struggling at the time.  But no.  Hahn wanted to give more, so Madrigal's name got thrown in there.  I still wonder if Hahn wanted to give up yet more to the Cubs, but they felt sorry for him and said no, that's enough.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Every time I hear Kimbrel's name, I shudder.  I would love to have been a fly on Hahn's wall when he was discussing the trade last summer.  Here we had an expensive Cub relief pitcher who they obviously did not want or need, and Hahn walked into the void.  You would think that Heuer alone would have been more than enough, because Heuer was, in fact, struggling at the time.  But no.  Hahn wanted to give more, so Madrigal's name got thrown in there.  I still wonder if Hahn wanted to give up yet more to the Cubs, but they felt sorry for him and said no, that's enough.

This is exactly how trades work among major league executives.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Nor me, but some on here think he will never be a good starting 2B, and you know that if he came back he would get criticism on here!

You can't please some people as you well know.  Madrigal will probably be a star for the Cubs and the same critics will be calling for Rick Hahn's head.  If Kimbrel goes on to be his old self next year for some other team...RH will be portrayed as dumb as a box of rocks.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Really? You know the dodgers, red sox, and Rays all tried to acquire Kimbrel. The Rays Reportedly offered Tyler Glasnow for him. So no, we couldn't just have got him for Heuer, or a bag of balls, The trade didn't work out, but come on Kimbrel was the best reliever in baseball at the time. Why must we continually beat the dead horse on this trade?

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This is exactly how trades work among major league executives.

@bmags used the term fanfic for the Machado negotiations, but my god the fanfics for Hahn trades is nauseating.

How half this board thinks the trade went down:

"Lord Hoyer, we will offer you Eloy Jimenez in exchange for Craig Kimbrel, to right the wrongs of the past. As penance, we will include Nick Madrigal, our future Hall of Fame second baseman and Reincarnation of the Great Fox."

"No, simple Hahn. He-Who-Cannot-Be-Struck-Out and the one known as Codi are enough, for Kimbrel will soon collapse from being the best reliever in baseball to complete shit."

"You are so wise, my lord."

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

@bmags used the term fanfic for the Machado negotiations, but my god the fanfics for Hahn trades is nauseating.

Hahn : "Jed, is it possible you could part with Craig Kimbrel? We'll offer you a bounty, Codi Heuer plus"

Hoyer, on mute, howling at his fellow coworkers: "These miserable sacks of shit! Oh my god, tell them we need madrigal so they don't get embarrassed"

Hoyer, composing himself, turns off mute: "Yeah uh, Hahn we're gonna need a Madrigal or that type"

mutes again

Office breaks up laughing, its pandemonium. People clutching their stomachs in pain from the stitches of laughter.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Quin said:

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hahn : "Jed, is it possible you could part with Craig Kimbrel? We'll offer you a bounty, Codi Heuer plus"

Hoyer, on mute, howling at his fellow coworkers: "These miserable sacks of shit! Oh my god, tell them we need madrigal so they don't get embarrassed"

Hoyer, composing himself, turns off mute: "Yeah uh, Hahn we're gonna need a Madrigal or that type"

mutes again

Office breaks up laughing, its pandemonium. People clutching their stomachs in pain from the stitches of laughter.

Bravo.  And yes, this is exactly how a few people sound when dealing with this trade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

Really? You know the dodgers, red sox, and Rays all tried to acquire Kimbrel. The Rays Reportedly offered Tyler Glasnow for him. So no, we couldn't just have got him for Heuer, or a bag of balls, The trade didn't work out, but come on Kimbrel was the best reliever in baseball at the time. Why must we continually beat the dead horse on this trade?

Tyler Glasnow, who has never started more than 14 games in a season, who has never been worth more than 2.3 rWAR in a season, who is out for all of 2022 after Tommy John Surgery, who will have a total of 1 year before free agency to actually pitch, while coming off TJS where he probably won’t be fully effective? Man the Rays didn’t think very much of Kimbrel if that was their actual offer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tyler Glasnow, who has never started more than 14 games in a season, who has never been worth more than 2.3 rWAR in a season, who is out for all of 2022 after Tommy John Surgery, who will have a total of 1 year before free agency to actually pitch, while coming off TJS where he probably won’t be fully effective? Man the Rays didn’t think very much of Kimbrel if that was their actual offer.

You wouldn't trade Kimbrel for Glasnow now? Yeah all that is true, as is Glasnow is a pretty damn good pitcher with electric stuff. I would love him pitching in the pen for us the last month of the year and then having a year as a starter for us with a chance to re-sign him. 

Still doesn't change the fact that multiple teams wanted Kimbrel, who was the best reliever in baseball at the time of the trade and we couldn't get him for a bag of balls. But, if it fits you narrative that the FO is incompetent that feel free to change history as if we were seeking a broken down reliever for prospect gold.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is some spectacular hindsight.

26 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

You wouldn't trade Kimbrel for Glasnow now? Yeah all that is true, as is Glasnow is a pretty damn good pitcher with electric stuff. I would love him pitching in the pen for us the last month of the year and then having a year as a starter for us with a chance to re-sign him. 

Still doesn't change the fact that multiple teams wanted Kimbrel, who was the best reliever in baseball at the time of the trade and we couldn't get him for a bag of balls. But, if it fits you narrative that the FO is incompetent that feel free to change history as if we were seeking a broken down reliever for prospect gold.

If you asked me this question before picking up Kimbrel's option I'd have said no. The $6 million or so in arbitration that he'd be paid in 2022 while on the IL is money the White Sox really can't afford, and although he'd be useful and cheaper in 2023, there's not a lot of upside in only 1 year of him for $12 million+. Plus, there's a risk that the next CBA could change the rules for how long you have control of guys, so there's a nonzero chance he could never throw a pitch for the team acquiring him. Glasnow is right on the edge of a non-tender candidate, especially for the Rays. 

Right now? Sure, getting "anything" back for Kimbrel now that his option is picked up is fine.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you asked me this question before picking up Kimbrel's option I'd have said no. The $6 million or so in arbitration that he'd be paid in 2022 while on the IL is money the White Sox really can't afford, and although he'd be useful and cheaper in 2023, there's not a lot of upside in only 1 year of him for $12 million+. Plus, there's a risk that the next CBA could change the rules for how long you have control of guys, so there's a nonzero chance he could never throw a pitch for the team acquiring him. Glasnow is right on the edge of a non-tender candidate, especially for the Rays. 

Right now? Sure, getting "anything" back for Kimbrel now that his option is picked up is fine.

Non-tender? He was the Rays # 1 starter and one of the best pitchers in baseball when he got hurt. He was one of the best prospects in baseball. he has virtually been good his whole short career. No one is scared of TJS surgery anymore because of its success rate. I'm quite sure EVERY team in baseball would be interested in acquiring Glasnow some with significant assets. Hell. I'd trade Romy for Him right now with the hopes I could extend him before he becomes a FA.

6 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Non-tender? He was the Rays # 1 starter and one of the best pitchers in baseball when he got hurt. He was one of the best prospects in baseball. he has virtually been good his whole short career. No one is scared of TJS surgery anymore because of its success rate. I'm quite sure EVERY team in baseball would be interested in acquiring Glasnow some with significant assets. Hell. I'd trade Romy for Him right now with the hopes I could extend him before he becomes a FA.

Before their injuries, a Glasnow-for-Madrigal+Heuer trade would have been laughed off of this board as completely unreasonable/the Sox overvaluing their players.