Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Weird timing on running this? Wonder what is behind that?

Anyway, they say they want pitching, and clearly the White Sox can’t afford to move Cease or Kopech, so Crochet as a key piece? Maybe with one of the top pieces from the system added since this guy has so much control?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Weird timing on running this? Wonder what is behind that?

Anyway, they say they want pitching, and clearly the White Sox can’t afford to move Cease or Kopech, so Crochet as a key piece? Maybe with one of the top pieces from the system added since this guy has so much control?

He's 30 years old,  2021 might no have been a fluke.

A few posters here including ss2K loved the trade and thought Kimbrel would almost guarantee a WS run.

Nobody is defending the trade now and it might look even worse if Hahn does not pull a rabbit out of his hat and obtain a major league ready player that can help the Sox in exchange for Kimbrel.

4 hours ago, tray said:

A few posters here including ss2K loved the trade and thought Kimbrel would almost guarantee a WS run.

Nobody is defending the trade now and it might look even worse if Hahn does not pull a rabbit out of his hat and obtain a major league ready player that can help the Sox in exchange for Kimbrel.

I would imagine that now, 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season ended, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would imagine that now, 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season ended, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

All though I do appreciate the rent free space he gives to me, even if he can't quite understand what I post.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

All though I do appreciate the rent free space he gives to me, even if he can't quite understand what I post.

You were in favor of the trade adding that it would virtually ensure a run at the WS.  No mistaking what you said.

14 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would imagine that now, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

An admission from said poster that he was dead wrong would be preferable to words from an apologist 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season has ended. This is a poster who goes to the mat with others like poppysox just to prove them wrong. It's gotten old.

8 hours ago, tray said:

You were in favor of the trade adding that it would virtually ensure a run at the WS.  No mistaking what you said.

An admission from said poster that he was dead wrong would be preferable to words from an apologist 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season has ended. This is a poster who goes to the mat with others like poppysox just to prove them wrong. It's gotten old.

Suck it up and move on.  It's ok.  Just think, if Vaughn puts in a huge year which is very possible, you are gonna have to just admit, and admit, and admit a little more how wrong you were.   Imagine that.  

11 hours ago, tray said:

Literally was never said, but keep that space for me warm.

On 12/30/2021 at 6:58 AM, Kyyle23 said:

More posters should be giving JR credit for spending the money and player capital to attempt to strengthen our chances for a WS run.  Didn't work out but he did push the money into the pot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

More posters should be giving JR credit for spending the money and player capital to attempt to strengthen our chances for a WS run.  Didn't work out but he did push the money into the pot.  

Sadly, the only one who deserves credit for the Kimbrel trade is Jed Hoyer.

Edited by Sarava
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

$6-8 million now going the other way…if not $10 million.

They might as well start casting the Silver Slugger Award for Nick Madrigal…because the law of terrible trades is they never entirely go away.

Might as well force him to pitch well enough during the regular season he recovers to 75 cents or 80 cents on the dollar in trade value.

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

$6-8 million now going the other way…if not $10 million.

They might as well start casting the Silver Slugger Award for Nick Madrigal…because the law of terrible trades is they never entirely go away.

Might as well force him to pitch well enough during the regular season he recovers to 75 cents or 80 cents on the dollar in trade value.

He's going to be so far down the bench by the trade deadline the Sox will be using the phrase "well rested" in all trade offers.

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He's going to be so far down the bench by the trade deadline the Sox will be using the phrase "well rested" in all trade offers.

We'll also be hearing a lot of "sunk costs" this summer in reference to Keuchel and Kimbrel, the K&K Boys.

That might even ruin my positive youthful memories of K&K Hardware back in Bettendorf, lol.  They sponsored Mustang or Bronco League teams every summer.

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

For the old-timers - bigger mistake 

Billy Koch or Kimbrel? 

Today it looks like Kimbrel but in another month that can change dramatically.  Koch was traded for Foulke while Kimbrel cost us, Madrigal.  No comparison.

That darned trade has now cost us roughly $20 million in payroll flexibility...between Kimbrel and Harrison's salaries, minus Madrigal and Heuer.   (Can't remember whether Cesar Hernandez had a small buyout or not.)

Or just about the exact amount Conforto was projected to receive...