Jump to content
caulfield12

Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, hi8is said:

Isn’t Jansen 84 years old by now?

Yeah....but look at all that playoff experience.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hi8is said:

If this guy is worth any salt - I can’t see how a trade including Segura for the Phils could be considered “very bad”.

This whole thing is bizarre.

Probably because he doesn't think Kimbrel is worth anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Met’s roster is getting a bit crowded after their signings yesterday….wonder if Jeff McNeil would be available? LH bat that can play 2B or OF. Coming off a down/injury plagued year though. But I could see Kimbrel being a splash piece Cohen and the Mets want to go after 

Yeah…even if the NL gets the DH, they have Dom Smith for that. Basically either trade/turn McNeil into a bench player with his versatility , or trade/release Cano. Or trade Nimmo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably because he doesn't think Kimbrel is worth anything.

Yeah, there's probably going to be different views on this one. Some may think the Sox caused his regression and returning him to his closer role will bring back the dominant Craig. Others may think 'Bad Craig' is back and that's what they will get. Personally, if I was a fan of another team in need of a closer, I wouldn't touch Kimbrel with a 10 foot pole.

Edited by Sarava

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hi8is said:

Wonder if the Padres would have interest in Kimbrel for Frazier.

This could be an interesting framework of a deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah, there's probably going to be different views on this one. Some may think the Sox caused his regression and returning him to his closer role will bring back the dominant Craig. Others may think 'Bad Craig' is back and that's what they will get. Personally, if I was a fan of another team in need of a closer, I wouldn't touch Kimbrel with a 10 foot pole.

Yep there are people who think just getting anyone to pay the whole contract and get a tiny nothing piece in return would've been good and they might not be wrong.  There are also people who would rather have the payroll flexibility than trade him for Segura and Sox fans who think Segura an expensive, old,  piece who bats with the wrong hand. Then there are the Phillie fans who think Segura is a valuable piece and Kimbrel is worthless.

If he does go to the Phils we are going to have some controversy on Soxtalk unless somehow the Sox get the Phils to eat his whole contract and get a B and C  prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah…even if the NL gets the DH, they have Dom Smith for that. Basically either trade/turn McNeil into a bench player with his versatility , or trade/release Cano. Or trade Nimmo.

I actually completely forgot Robinson Cano existed. I read your post and thought “wow, this guy is way off, Cano has been retired for years.” Nope apparently Cano still exists…who knew. I highly doubt the Mets are counting on him at all coming back from suspension. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I actually completely forgot Robinson Cano existed. I read your post and thought “wow, this guy is way off, Cano has been retired for years.” Nope apparently Cano still exists…who knew. I highly doubt the Mets are counting on him at all coming back from suspension. 

Yeah which is why I don’t think it’s entirely crazy they just move on from him and resolve this roster crunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I actually completely forgot Robinson Cano existed. I read your post and thought “wow, this guy is way off, Cano has been retired for years.” Nope apparently Cano still exists…who knew. I highly doubt the Mets are counting on him at all coming back from suspension. 

He was playing in one of the winter leagues, and now has a back issue. I doubt the Mets could have traded him without eating most of his money anyway, but now they might as well just hold on to him and see what happens in spring training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hi8is said:

So… you’re saying he’s a dumbass then?

No he is saying the Phillies may trade for Kimbrel and they may not.  You or I can say the same thing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think personally that even as a pro -Segura-is-a-solid-player person that he would be more of a target to include from the Phil’s side. I don’t know why, but I think they will go after Baez.

So if I am Hahn, I think that’s a scenario where Id push to shed more, and that would be Keuchel.

But a Kimbrel/Keuchel for Segura/Marchon package frees up $19M from Sox and seems unlikely.

A big win from my side is if we send out Kimbrel to LA for some mid level, ML near guys.

Getting Jacob Amaya or James Outman adds some much needed position player depth that plays across the field, and opens up 40-man spots for dodgers, where Sox have a good amount.

Kimbrel for Outman, Amaya would add a much needed defensive SS (unless you think Sanchez is that) and upgrades Luis Gonzalez, both with guys who if they refund their bat (Amaya) or bat is real (outman) add some real talent.

And it seems Sox could get a better player if Eat some cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Yeah, there's probably going to be different views on this one. Some may think the Sox caused his regression and returning him to his closer role will bring back the dominant Craig. Others may think 'Bad Craig' is back and that's what they will get. Personally, if I was a fan of another team in need of a closer, I wouldn't touch Kimbrel with a 10 foot pole.

I wouldn't either...but someone will IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why the Sox would be in a hurry to trade Kimbrel especially if the coming days are as crazy as we think they're going to be. More than a few teams are going to miss out on their reliever targets and when the lockout is over they will be scrambling for help.  If I were Hahn I'd sit on this until after the lockout when there should be a hotter market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hi8is said:

Wonder if the Padres would have interest in Kimbrel for Frazier.

Well Frazier just got traded to the Mariners so he was available. Good call on that. Doesn't sound like much of a return. 26 yr old minor league relief pitcher and a 12th round draft pick who is 21 and hit .390 in A ball but only 141 PA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know why the Sox would be in a hurry to trade Kimbrel especially if the coming days are as crazy as we think they're going to be. More than a few teams are going to miss out on their reliever targets and when the lockout is over they will be scrambling for help.  If I were Hahn I'd sit on this until after the lockout when there should be a hotter market. 

Let’s be honest though, the market for $16M relievers is incredibly small.  I’d wager there is far more risk than reward by holding and if you get a solid offer you should move Kimbrel now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well Frazier just got traded to the Mariners so he was available. Good call on that. Doesn't sound like much of a return. 26 yr old minor league relief pitcher and a 12th round draft pick who is 21 and hit .390 in A ball but only 141 PA.

Damn. I wonder what we’ve got going on if we weren’t willing to get Frazier. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Damn. I wonder what we’ve got going on if we weren’t willing to get Frazier. 🤔

Everyone else is wondering the same thing about whats going on and we may have a long wait on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

we may have a long wait on that.

I’m seriously dreading it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

 

There's a risk here. If the Phillies find another closer, you may be stuck holding the bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

There's a risk here. If the Phillies find another closer, you may be stuck holding the bag.

Yes but why would they sell now if offers are improving. I think @Harold's Leg Lift is right, they would be better off holding out if they will receive a higher return later on. That’s probably what the holdup is.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yes but why would they sell now if offers are improving. I think @Harold's Leg Lift is right, they would be better off holding out if they will receive a higher return later on. That’s probably what the holdup is.

Assuming you believe NSC.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Assuming you believe NSC.

Also funny he posted that right after Harold mentioned something similar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Assuming you believe NSC.

Well another possibility is they signed Graveman and it sent teams to look for dominant relievers thus more teams are jumping in on Kimbrel now.

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also funny he posted that right after Harold mentioned something similar

It’s obvious someone is notsteve from our midst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×