Sign in to follow this  
caulfield12

Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

11 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Non-tender? He was the Rays # 1 starter and one of the best pitchers in baseball when he got hurt. He was one of the best prospects in baseball. he has virtually been good his whole short career. No one is scared of TJS surgery anymore because of its success rate. I'm quite sure EVERY team in baseball would be interested in acquiring Glasnow some with significant assets. Hell. I'd trade Romy for Him right now with the hopes I could extend him before he becomes a FA.

They're not scared of TJS, but they're scared of Free Agency. He has 2 years of control before Free Agency - 2022 and 2023. He will miss all of 2022, but he will still be paid for it. 

Here's the Rays' writer for the Tampa Bay times noting how it's a narrow decision back in August, right after the surgery was done.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

They're not scared of TJS, but they're scared of Free Agency. He has 2 years of control before Free Agency - 2022 and 2023. He will miss all of 2022, but he will still be paid for it. 

Here's the Rays' writer for the Tampa Bay times noting how it's a narrow decision back in August, right after the surgery was done.

No one is arguing why the Rays would make Glasnow available. The argument is that Glasnow was not an insignificant offer for Kimbrel.

3 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

An injured Glasnow who is due ~$12 million and who might pitch 1 season before free agency? Tells you all you need to know about how poorly they viewed Kimbrel. 

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

Every time I hear Kimbrel's name, I shudder.  I would love to have been a fly on Hahn's wall when he was discussing the trade last summer.  Here we had an expensive Cub relief pitcher who they obviously did not want or need, and Hahn walked into the void.  You would think that Heuer alone would have been more than enough, because Heuer was, in fact, struggling at the time.  But no.  Hahn wanted to give more, so Madrigal's name got thrown in there.  I still wonder if Hahn wanted to give up yet more to the Cubs, but they felt sorry for him and said no, that's enough.

Or it shows how little (pun intended) other organizations valued Nick Madrigal and this was the best trade they could make.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

An injured Glasnow who is due ~$12 million and who might pitch 1 season before free agency? Tells you all you need to know about how poorly they viewed Kimbrel. 

no, it shows you how a money strapped low market team thinks out of the box team operates to try to win a world series now. 

3 hours ago, kleedawg said:

Really? You know the dodgers, red sox, and Rays all tried to acquire Kimbrel. The Rays Reportedly offered Tyler Glasnow for him. So no, we couldn't just have got him for Heuer, or a bag of balls, The trade didn't work out, but come on Kimbrel was the best reliever in baseball at the time. Why must we continually beat the dead horse on this trade?

That might be a more balanced trade if you consider that Glasnow was likely to miss all of 2022 while adding to payroll…