Jump to content
caulfield12

Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Weird timing on running this? Wonder what is behind that?

Anyway, they say they want pitching, and clearly the White Sox can’t afford to move Cease or Kopech, so Crochet as a key piece? Maybe with one of the top pieces from the system added since this guy has so much control?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Weird timing on running this? Wonder what is behind that?

Anyway, they say they want pitching, and clearly the White Sox can’t afford to move Cease or Kopech, so Crochet as a key piece? Maybe with one of the top pieces from the system added since this guy has so much control?

He's 30 years old,  2021 might no have been a fluke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

Kimbrel can't get traded anywhere until probably February at the earliest. How far off the rails is this thread going to get by then?

Farther than I even thought possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few posters here including ss2K loved the trade and thought Kimbrel would almost guarantee a WS run.

Nobody is defending the trade now and it might look even worse if Hahn does not pull a rabbit out of his hat and obtain a major league ready player that can help the Sox in exchange for Kimbrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tray said:

A few posters here including ss2K loved the trade and thought Kimbrel would almost guarantee a WS run.

Nobody is defending the trade now and it might look even worse if Hahn does not pull a rabbit out of his hat and obtain a major league ready player that can help the Sox in exchange for Kimbrel.

I would imagine that now, 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season ended, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would imagine that now, 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season ended, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

All though I do appreciate the rent free space he gives to me, even if he can't quite understand what I post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

All though I do appreciate the rent free space he gives to me, even if he can't quite understand what I post.

You were in favor of the trade adding that it would virtually ensure a run at the WS.  No mistaking what you said.

14 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would imagine that now, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

An admission from said poster that he was dead wrong would be preferable to words from an apologist 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season has ended. This is a poster who goes to the mat with others like poppysox just to prove them wrong. It's gotten old.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tray said:

You were in favor of the trade adding that it would virtually ensure a run at the WS.  No mistaking what you said.

An admission from said poster that he was dead wrong would be preferable to words from an apologist 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season has ended. This is a poster who goes to the mat with others like poppysox just to prove them wrong. It's gotten old.

 

 Suck it up and move on.  It's ok.  Just think, if Vaughn puts in a huge year which is very possible, you are gonna have to just admit, and admit, and admit a little more how wrong you were.   Imagine that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tray said:

You were in favor of the trade adding that it would virtually ensure a run at the WS.  No mistaking what you said.

An admission from said poster that he was dead wrong would be preferable to words from an apologist 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season has ended. This is a poster who goes to the mat with others like poppysox just to prove them wrong. It's gotten old.

 

Literally was never said, but keep that space for me warm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2021 at 6:58 AM, Kyyle23 said:

I would imagine that now, 5 months after the trade, 3 months after the season ended, that a few posters here including SS2K5 have realized that Kimbrel didn't work out.  

More posters should be giving JR credit for spending the money and player capital to attempt to strengthen our chances for a WS run.  Didn't work out but he did push the money into the pot.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poppysox said:

More posters should be giving JR credit for spending the money and player capital to attempt to strengthen our chances for a WS run.  Didn't work out but he did push the money into the pot.  

:jerry

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, poppysox said:

More posters should be giving JR credit for spending the money and player capital to attempt to strengthen our chances for a WS run.  Didn't work out but he did push the money into the pot.  

Sadly, the only one who deserves credit for the Kimbrel trade is Jed Hoyer.

Edited by Sarava
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$6-8 million now going the other way…if not $10 million.

They might as well start casting the Silver Slugger Award for Nick Madrigal…because the law of terrible trades is they never entirely go away.

Might as well force him to pitch well enough during the regular season he recovers to 75 cents or 80 cents on the dollar in trade value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer to the OP's question seems to be nowhere and nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the rumors are true and there were offers on the table, it was a huge mistake to not pull the trigger on the best one before sending him out to pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

$6-8 million now going the other way…if not $10 million.

They might as well start casting the Silver Slugger Award for Nick Madrigal…because the law of terrible trades is they never entirely go away.

Might as well force him to pitch well enough during the regular season he recovers to 75 cents or 80 cents on the dollar in trade value.

He's going to be so far down the bench by the trade deadline the Sox will be using the phrase "well rested" in all trade offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the old-timers - bigger mistake 

Billy Koch or Kimbrel? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

For the old-timers - bigger mistake 

Billy Koch or Kimbrel? 

 

 

 

Kimbrel.   Not that I’m an old timer.

 

 

 

Edited by Tnetennba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He's going to be so far down the bench by the trade deadline the Sox will be using the phrase "well rested" in all trade offers.

We'll also be hearing a lot of "sunk costs" this summer in reference to Keuchel and Kimbrel, the K&K Boys.

That might even ruin my positive youthful memories of K&K Hardware back in Bettendorf, lol.  They sponsored Mustang or Bronco League teams every summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Kimbrel.   Not that I’m an old timer.

 

 

 

If Madrigal becomes a consistent 3-4 fWAR player for the Cubs over the next 5 years, it will definitely be Kimbrel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

For the old-timers - bigger mistake 

Billy Koch or Kimbrel? 

 

 

 

Today it looks like Kimbrel but in another month that can change dramatically.  Koch was traded for Foulke while Kimbrel cost us, Madrigal.  No comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That darned trade has now cost us roughly $20 million in payroll flexibility...between Kimbrel and Harrison's salaries, minus Madrigal and Heuer.   (Can't remember whether Cesar Hernandez had a small buyout or not.)

Or just about the exact amount Conforto was projected to receive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

The answer to the OP's question seems to be nowhere and nothing. 

Hahn has brought a novel approach to trading prospects for veterans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×