Where could Kimbrel be traded, and for what?

caulfield12

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I'm pretty sure that if Kimbrel is traded, he'll do well for his next team.  But if he isn't traded, he'll suck.  Isn't that how it always seems to happen?

Guaranteed. A lifetime of being a Sox fan has conditioned me to expect it. I still don't disagree with the move at the deadline. I expected us to lockdown any lead after the 6th. Solid trade for an often injured player. I don't think anyone could have expected this level of suck. It's Billy Botch-esque in it's nature.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Guaranteed. A lifetime of being a Sox fan has conditioned me to expect it. I still don't disagree with the move at the deadline. I expected us to lockdown any lead after the 6th. Solid trade for an often injured player. I don't think anyone could have expected this level of suck. It's Billy Botch-esque in it's nature.

See the thread from the early day/s of that trade.  There were a significant number of dubious fans who already believed it was a massive overpay, let alone a good fit for Kimbrel to suddenly adjust to set-up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I'm pretty sure that if Kimbrel is traded, he'll do well for his next team.  But if he isn't traded, he'll suck.  Isn't that how it always seems to happen?

seems like it

that's why I said shit won't change until the coaching staff/training staff is revamped completely with new guys with something to prove

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

See the thread from the early day/s of that trade.  There were a significant number of dubious fans who already believed it was a massive overpay, let alone a good fit for Kimbrel to suddenly adjust to set-up.

I know. I was not among them. I applauded the trade. 

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, that's essentially the bet that Hahn is making right now with all of his moves...especially for 2024 and beyond.

Not sure what the Vegas odds are.  Cease was top 10-15 fWAR, but still can't be trusted to start a big playoff game.   The variability on Kopech possible/potential results is obviously all over the map, from out of baseball entirely to the 2024/25 Cy Young winner.

Kopech was dominant in games he started last year. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Kopech was dominant in games he started last year. 

Whenever he had the chance to start and throw his curve ball, he was way better. He actually was kinda meh as a reliever after he got hurt. Probably because he strictly became a 2 pitch pitcher out of the bullpen. 

51 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Whenever he had the chance to start and throw his curve ball, he was way better. He actually was kinda meh as a reliever after he got hurt. Probably because he strictly became a 2 pitch pitcher out of the bullpen. 

They also buried him at the back of the bullpen inexplicably for 2 months. He threw about 20 innings combined in July and August - after doing no rehab stint. They ardently refused to stretch him out until the very end of the year and often had him going 3-4 days without pitching.

They then asked him to pitch on 1 day rest after a >40 pitch outing in the playoffs, which he never did the whole year. 

Still salty about that.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

My gut instinct when it happened was I hated it, but I managed to talk myself into thinking it was a good call.  And it would have been if it worked out, but obviously here we are.