Conforto rejects QO, enters free agency

bmags

9 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I’m going to be lazy and just ask instead of do my own research but what’s the consensus on Conforto’s defense in right?  Obviously love that he mashes rhp.

Generally bad. UZR has him as just a tiny step better than Jorge Soler out there last year, overall one of the worst regular RF defensively in baseball. DRS has him being negative out there pretty consistently, bad enough last year to be the equivalent of ~1 lost rWAR. In his time in LF, DRS has him decent.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I’m going to be lazy and just ask instead of do my own research but what’s the consensus on Conforto’s defense in right?  Obviously love that he mashes rhp.

Mixed bag. But I don't think he's bad or anything. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Generally bad. UZR has him as just a tiny step better than Jorge Soler out there last year, overall one of the worst regular RF defensively in baseball. DRS has him being negative out there pretty consistently, bad enough last year to be the equivalent of ~1 lost rWAR. In his time in LF, DRS has him decent.

OAA thinks he's above average and he's had good OAA numbers in RF besides 2020. 

I don't like the Conforto fit. 

He turned down the QO. Yes, he could have misread the market, but right now Boras is working with much more information than I am and think he can get a long-term deal. 

The Sox seem like they will spend but we all agree it probably won't reach the levels we'd all like them to reach. So with that in mind, what are they getting with Conforto? 

- Mediocre to average defense in RF

- Coming off a very disappointing 2021, which was his contract year

- Will be 29 when the season starts

- How many offensive free agents have come to the Sox and gotten significantly better upon arrival? 

With Rodon seemingly out of the picture.....spend the money on another starter. Make this rotation scary with something like Scherzer-Gio-Lynn-Kopech-Cease. Go out and trade some assets for a 2B, and run with Vaugh/Sheets in RF. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

He turned down the QO. Yes, he could have misread the market, but right now Boras is working with much more information than I am and think he can get a long-term deal. 

The Sox seem like they will spend but we all agree it probably won't reach the levels we'd all like them to reach. So with that in mind, what are they getting with Conforto? 

- How many offensive free agents have come to the Sox and gotten significantly better upon arrival? 

With Rodon seemingly out of the picture.....spend the money on another starter. Make this rotation scary with something like Scherzer-Gio-Lynn-Kopech-Cease. Go out and trade some assets for a 2B, and run with Vaugh/Sheets in RF. 

I love the Eloy-Robert-Vaughn/Sheets OF as much as anybody, but that defense just won't get it done in the playoffs. They need some balance. 

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I love the Eloy-Robert-Vaughn/Sheets OF as much as anybody, but that defense just won't get it done in the playoffs. They need some balance. 

How much is Conforto going to help that defense? Is Conforto worth 18+ million more than Vaughn/Sheets?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

How much is Conforto going to help that defense? Is Conforto worth 18+ million more than Vaughn/Sheets?

You're right, I should have clarified. I think his average defense is a big upgrade over Sheets/Vaughn, and him being a lefty is the cherry on top. They desperately need more lefty bats. I don't think you can roll Gavin Sheets out in RF on a regular basis. 

Honestly, I'm OK with a starting pitcher as well if they upgrade at 2B with a lefty bat. 

Edited by ron883

Conforto is a good player who fills a bunch of White Sox needs (LH power, OBP, not worst RF in MLB).  

I do not believe his best offensive years are behind him.  It is the opposite in his case.

I will welcome him as one of our offensive additions with arms wide open.  

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s a frustrating player to watch.  

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

Definitely not worth the squeeze. Assuming the Sox are spending that kind of money on a single player, I’d prefer a top pitcher or Semien.

They can at least cover RF with upside from Sheets, Vaughn and Engel if he can ever stay healthy (goes for Eloy as well). 
They can’t cover 2B or SP depth internally (Lambert?), and also could use one or two solid RPs if they want to be legitimate contenders with legitimate depth assuming they also return Leury and a solid catcher. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you believe the offense was limited by being too right handed, too many unproductive outs, and too many ground balls (as I do), the here is how conforto fits:

- 120 wRC+ vs RHP even in his down year (and he was significantly better outside of an atrocious June where his hammy was injured)

- his gb rate is nothing to write home about but better that the Sox average

- Has never posted less than a 10% walk rate since rookie year

Thats all an improvement, and at 29 with very recent, big success offensively there is upside to getting good power in our outfield.

But a big part of this is compared to what? Few additions check off those boxes, and he doesn’t subtract Vaughn or Sheets.