Conforto rejects QO, enters free agency

bmags

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Blown away by soxtalk comps every offseason. They always find the perfect sets of players...from the last 6 years of white sox baseball. He's Todd Frazier! No, no he's Melky Cabrera! He's Adam Dunn?

He is the Jeff Keppinger of D'Angelo Jimenez'es

no, you figure it out 

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Conforto’s the 2022 version of Melky Cabrera…really good but not an elite player.  

I don’t buy this “only really good” narrative at all.  From 2017 to 2020, Conforto put up the 9th most fWAR amongst outfielders with 13.3 wins.  He had a 133 wRC+ over this time.  That’s 1.1 wins and 5 points of wRC+ less than Bryce Harper.  Most importantly, during this same four year stretch he put up the 10th highest wRC+ against RHP at 143.  Quite frankly, dude is elite against RHP and that’s what we need, especially come October when we’ll be facing dominant ones.  This dude is not Melky fucking Cabrera.

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Fair enough. I disagree but I get it where you’re coming from. 

Just don’t like the fit. Think we’d be very disappointed with the fit, and that could turn into a bad contract quick if it doesn’t work out. 

It could also turn into a great contract quick. Conforto hurt his payday with a down 21. To what extent, we don’t quite know yet. But if he falls in the 3-4 year deal between $15-$18M AAV most think, he could easily become a bargain and those are hard to find in FA. 

Conforto solves a lot of problems with this offense and he (while not an elite defender) substantially improves the current OF defense. He’s far and away the best free agent for the Sox that is realistic since Yasmani Grandal. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It could also turn into a great contract quick. Conforto hurt his payday with a down 21. To what extent, we don’t quite know yet. But if he falls in the 3-4 year deal between $15-$18M AAV most think, he could easily become a bargain and those are hard to find in FA. 

Conforto solves a lot of problems with this offense and he (while not an elite defender) substantially improves the current OF defense. He’s far and away the best free agent for the Sox that is realistic since Yasmani Grandal. 

This is also my stance - that a bad 2021 was a good thing for the White Sox.

It also helps that our corner outfields are very easy to play. Because, yeah, what do we think he'd get if he hit the market last year after a 160 wRC+ in the shortened season?

(reminds me of the poster that claimed Conforto was closer to a 2 WAR player than a 4 WAR player - because they were including the 60 game season where he had 2 WAR)

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is also my stance - that a bad 2021 was a good thing for the White Sox.

It also helps that our corner outfields are very easy to play. Because, yeah, what do we think he'd get if he hit the market last year after a 160 wRC+ in the shortened season?

(reminds me of the poster that claimed Conforto was closer to a 2 WAR player than a 4 WAR player - because they were including the 60 game season where he had 2 WAR)

The savings remains to be seen, but 5-6 year deal in the $20-23’ m range was probably what he looking at coming off 2020. Something just slightly below what Springer got. At that price, I’d pass. At 4/$70M, he’s at worst making what he’s worth as long as he stays healthy. Bottom line is there are limited options in FA to fix the Sox problem. Conforto is an obvious solution. 

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For our free agent signings?  100% no.  Maybe when you’re talking about the Machado’s and Harper’s of the world, but even then we pursued the far less marketable guy.

Obviously not as cut and dried as you say or we would have been able to add Kris Bryant over Kimbrel.

How/why in God’s name would we need a set-up guy over a RFer?   And was the Cubs’ return for Bryant stronger than Madrigal/Heuer?  I think not…Heuer alone could put up better numbers than Kimbrel alone did in Chicago, for 1/15th the price.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously not as cut and dried as you say or we would have been able to add Kris Bryant over Kimbrel.

How/why in God’s name would we need a set-up guy over a RFer?   And was the Cubs’ return for Bryant stronger than Madrigal/Heuer?  I think not…Heuer alone could put up better numbers than Kimbrel alone did in Chicago, for 1/15th the price.

If you want to question what the better addition would have been between Kimbrel and Bryant that’s fine, but don’t say Heuer was going to put up better numbers than the guy who was the best reliever in baseball at the time.  These revisionist opinions are maddening.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want to question what the better addition would have been between Kimbrel and Bryant that’s fine, but don’t say Heuer was going to put up better numbers than the guy who was the best reliever in baseball at the time.  These revisionist opinions are maddening.

It’s not revisionist to say the Cubs got a better return for Kimbrel when we didn’t even really need him compared to Bryant, and which also would have been a much tougher pill to swallow had he led the White Sox to the World Series in their arch rival’s uniform.   That would have been a disaster for Ricketts, from a PR standpoint.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Liam Hendriks says hello

Just now, caulfield12 said:

It’s not revisionist to say the Cubs got a better return for Kimbrel when we didn’t even really need him compared to Bryant, and which also would have been a much tougher pill to swallow had he led the White Sox to the World Series in their arch rival’s uniform.   That would have been a disaster for Ricketts, from a PR standpoint.

It’s revisionist to say Kimbrel was going to flop at the Heuer could have exceeded his production at 1/15 the cost.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s revisionist to say Kimbrel was going to flop at the Heuer could have exceeded his production at 1/15 the cost.

I actually said this day trade was made.  I love Heuer.  So not revisionist history for all.  Bad trade was bad and got worse everyday.  

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they want to beat Hou/Bos/TB in a playoff series they need an ace.  They know they need an ace.  

I hope so. Pitching is my #1 concern, and I honestly hope TLR tells JR to get his tom seaver.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they want to beat Hou/Bos/TB in a playoff series they need an ace.  They know they need an ace.  

This is it.  Too much attention being paid to putting an all-star talent at every position/lineup slot and not nearly enough on filling out a playoff-worthy rotation.  A TOR starter is priority 1, and priority 2.

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I agree with this. They need to prioritize a TOR ace first and than fill out the rest of their roster needs. They don’t need all-stars at every position. It will be interesting to see who they try to sign. 

Edited by maloney.adam

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

I hope so. Pitching is my #1 concern, and I honestly hope TLR tells JR to get his tom seaver.

Wouldn't that be Max Scherzer? Would 2/$60 with a $30 million team option and $10 million buyout (making it either 2/$70 or 3/$90) be enough to get him?

IMO, the Sox SP is good enough to win a world series as is.  They just need to show up.  We have 4 guys who are all TOR caliber pitchers.  Unfortunately, they all flopped in the playoffs.  

Would it be great to add a legit #1? Of course.  But I don't see hte sox handing Scherzer 2/$80M, and I also don't see that ending all that well if they did.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I do think they need an ace especially for the regular season. But as we saw with Hou/Bos/TB, none of them really had an ace for the playoffs.  Greinke was limited ,so for WS series McCullers was (before he went down),  Eovaldi was, by default,  more an ace than a returning Sale and TB never had an actual ace. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Fried and Anderson? The 2020 Dodgers? 2019 Nats? 2018 Red Sox with some dude named Sale? Verlander and a trash can in 2017? 

Giolito and Lynn are every bit as good as Fried and Anderson.  And Kopech and Cease aren't far behind. On an fWAR basis, Cease was better than all of them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1