Conforto rejects QO, enters free agency

bmags

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I know lol it’s pretty comical honestly.

"What should the Sox should do" is a different question from "what do I predict the Sox will do."  That principle, applied to these threads, will probably remove about 85% of the comedy.  

That being said, I haven't seen many posts calling for Scherzer at $35M, and zero predicting that will happen.  Maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 1

Regarding Scherzer, Prior to the deadline he would only accept a trade to the west coast. I think That unless the sox grossly overpay (lol) there is very little chance he signs with us. The Angels may be the favorites here, but every California teams except the A's will have interest in Max.

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

$35 million for Max Scherzer,  LMAO.

Every offseason, the same craziness by some of our fans here.   It's as if we just started following the team this season. 

JERRY REINSDORF STILL OWNS THE WHITE SOX!

Every offseason usually does not include being in a title contention window and JR’s handpicked manager/friend having a say in roster construction.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as cynical as the next fan, but this is sort of uncharted territory. We don’t know for certain how things will shake out.

12 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

"What should the Sox should do" is a different question from "what do I predict the Sox will do."  That principle, applied to these threads, will probably remove about 85% of the comedy.  

That being said, I haven't seen many posts calling for Scherzer at $35M, and zero predicting that will happen.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Exactly.

Love when people just scan, see a name, and think they are so very smart to chime in on whether the sox can get them.

If you want to claim sox can't sign Scherzer, yes. Very, extremely likely.

But what people were discussing is if a player like Scherzer would be the best addition for a sox team, full stop. Nobody should have to put percent odds of stuff happening in every post for the people whose sole purpose is to dictate whether we are allowed to discuss them based on feasibility.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, caulfield12 said:

Cabrera had 4.4, 4.8, 3.5 bWAR in 3/4 seasons before signing.

=12.7/3=4.233

Do we expect Conforto to beat that?

Hmmm….And he got 3/$42 million seven years ago.   Adjust for inflation, $48,666,666.

4/$65 extrapolated out over four seasons, to adjust for Cabrera being older.

Exactly the same contract everyone’s speculating on Conforto receiving to win his services.

Or was Rick Hahn simply overvaluing/overpaying Cabrera…?  Ah yes, that domino effect to get Robertson and LaRoche on the Sox FA bandwagon, too.

Hmmmmm.

Conforto's gonna cost more than 4/$65M. Potentially a lot more. 

1 hour ago, macsandz said:

Conforto's gonna cost more than 4/$65M. Potentially a lot more. 

From all of Hahn's comments, you don't get the sense that you will see this move.

More like standing pat with Vaughn/Sheets/Engel and then mixing and matching at DH.

Obviously, that leaves you with a pretty terrible defense outside of CF, and the times when Engel's in right (assuming he is back again.)

Really would like to see either Marte, but trading Vaughn and some of the other contracts expiring means everything would really be in a state of transition in 2024...like the Twins have found themselves at this season and heading into next year with Buxton, Maeda and Donaldson.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:11 PM, Tony said:

I agree with you on Scherzer. And I also agree on Conforto feeling like a Sox move, which scares me. 

Who was the last FA the Sox signed that got better when they came here? Dye? 

No one wants to hear it, but it was Grandal who had a career year with the Sox last season. Hard to remember, since he was below the Mendoza line at the Allstar break. But make no mistake, Yasmani had his highest season OPS of 0.940 last year, well above his career average of 0.807. That would qualify as a Sox free agent that got better when they got here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

No one wants to hear it, but it was Grandal who had a career year with the Sox last season. Hard to remember, since he was below the Mendoza line at the Allstar break. But make no mistake, Yasmani had his highest season OPS of 0.940 last year, well above his career average of 0.807. That would qualify as a Sox free agent that got better when they got here. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/yasmani-grandal/11368/stats?position=C

Look at his results for 2015-2019.

Now if you want to argue that he was more effective in his productivity per game, compared to a full or cumulative season.

But he averaged exactly 5.0 fWAR over those seasons, compared to a 3.7 this past year.

And he's the most expensive contract overall in Sox history...so it's hard to argue he overachieved his deal or was a "value" acquisition.

Not to mention that not having a capable back-up really hurt the White Sox this season, especially defensively and pitch selection...you can't BLAME him for being hurt, but his absences really had an impact on the team (which you could also blame on Hahn, I guess.)

The Sox signed Grandal 10 days after the World Series ended.  Tomorrow would be 10 days from this year’s World Series ending.  Could the Sox land a free agent in the next week or so?  With the CBA expiring Dec 1st you got to think some guys will push for deals ASAP and Hahn basically stated the Sox like to be aggressive in free agency.  Not sure how Boras plays into all this, but if Conforto is truly a top target (like he should be) perhaps we find a way to get a deal done soon.  It would be amazing to get one need addressed before what will almost certainly be a long negotiating period.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/yasmani-grandal/11368/stats?position=C

Look at his results for 2015-2019.

Now if you want to argue that he was more effective in his productivity per game, compared to a full or cumulative season.

But he averaged exactly 5.0 fWAR over those seasons, compared to a 3.7 this past year.

And he's the most expensive contract overall in Sox history...so it's hard to argue he overachieved his deal or was a "value" acquisition.

Not to mention that not having a capable back-up really hurt the White Sox this season, especially defensively and pitch selection...you can't BLAME him for being hurt, but his absences really had an impact on the team (which you could also blame on Hahn, I guess.)

Our largest contract ever sounds like a big deal. But JR throws nickels around like manhole covers.

22 minutes ago, zisk said:

I might have taken the Qo if I were Conforto. Winning a Home Run contest is one thing. Getting hurt and having a lousy year

is something else altogether.

There is no reason Conforto should have taken the QO. Even with compensation attached, Conforto will get at least 3x as much as the QO amount and maybe up to 5x-6x the amount. 

12 hours ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Yoan had a good year w the bat but you need to add an asterisk to that.  Grandal only played 90 games which is about 3/4 of a season.  That is coming off a short season in 2020. Yoan has traditionally been a guy who struggles 2nd half of seasons probably because he averages 125ish games  .  So hopefully the lesson is the Sox need to rest him on a regular basis so he doesn't break down late.  That doesn't mean playing him at 1B or DH because he pretty much struggles offensively in other positions, which is weird. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Another free agent that got better when he signed with the Sox was McCann, but I am sure that doesn’t count either because reasons

That's a far better example...unfortunately, we weren't able to leverage that successfully like the Lynn extension.

(Obviously, the keeping McCann in-house vs. Yasmani acquisition instead has been analyzed to death, and then some.)

The bigger point is that two of the most "under the radar" moves (McCann, Rodon) that only a few baseball insiders noticed produced All-Star seasons.