Conforto rejects QO, enters free agency

bmags

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Pairing Conforto with Escobar is both extremely realistic and the best moves for our offense.

I worry a bit about Escobar's defense but I too would be pretty darn happy with this scenario from an offensive standpoint.  

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I worry a bit about Escobar's defense but I too would be pretty darn happy with this scenario from an offensive standpoint.  

I just don't see another second basement on the open market that bats lefty (or switch) that won't require 100 mil.  The names are Escobar, Leury and Hernandez.  

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I just don't see another second basement on the open market that bats lefty (or switch) that won't require 100 mil.  The names are Escobar, Leury and Hernandez.  

Yep.  I truthfully think a smaller trade is the way to go for 2B.   Get Conforto in hand, and you can go a number of directions with 2B.  You can also afford to focus on defense.  But Escobar wouldn't be a bad option at all - I'd be very happy with those 2. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep.  I truthfully think a smaller trade is the way to go for 2B.   Get Conforto in hand, and you can go a number of directions with 2B.  You can also afford to focus on defense.  But Escobar wouldn't be a bad option at all - I'd be very happy with those 2. 

How is Segura defensively?  I proposed Kimbrel for him awhile back.  Wish he batted lefty, but beggars can't be pizzas.. I mean choosers

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

How is Segura defensively?  I proposed Kimbrel for him awhile back.  Wish he batted lefty, but beggars can't be pizzas.. I mean choosers

Baseball Savant has him at excellent at second base (95% percentile) last year. FRAA likes him a good bit. Fangraphs only has him slightly positive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The money actually makes sense there. I just don't know if the Phillies would be willing to trade one of their better position players for Kimbrel. 

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The money actually makes sense there. I just don't know if the Phillies would be willing to trade one of their better position players for Kimbrel. 

I tend to agree with this. I think Didi is more likely (with something else interesting coming out way) if you’re dealing with the Phillies.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I tend to agree with this. I think Didi is more likely (with something else interesting coming out way) if you’re dealing with the Phillies.

I'm afraid Didi might be toast without the old ball and a short porch to homer into. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If we picked up Kimbrel’s contract only to turn around and trade for him a bad contract then Hahn has failed epically.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we picked up Kimbrel’s contract only to turn around and trade for him a bad contract then Hahn has failed epically.

I agree with this. I just more meant I don’t think they will get a productive piece from a team’s lineup that struggled offensively that is looking to compete.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Conforto signs… what happens to Cespedes / Colas?

This is something they shouldn’t worry about until the time comes. Who knows if Cespedes or Colas will be any good anyways. Having as much depth as possible is a good problem to have.

Edited by maloney.adam

8 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

but wait, didn't I read in some thread today that are minor league suck. How cab this be?

The Sox have solid young players, but most have graduated, leaving the Sox dead last in Farm System Rankings (through the 2021 draft).

They will have to continue to trade additional cost controlled ML ready talent (Dunning, Madrigal, Heuer) for additional deals. It's why I am against trading off many more pieces for more old veterans.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-farm-system-rankings

30. Chicago White Sox
2021 preseason rank: 16
2020 midseason rank: 6
2020 preseason rank: 11
Top 100 Prospects: none

The White Sox are winning big and their system has a much different look from the start of the season, when since-graduated Andrew Vaughn, Michael Kopech, Nick Madrigal and Garrett Crochet all were Top 100 Prospects. The organization invested heavily in high school right-handers Jared Kelley, Andrew Dalquist and Matthew Thompson in the 2019 and 2020 Drafts, but they've all had rough years in Low-A. Chicago's best prospects currently are hitters, three signed this year (shortstop Colson Montgomery, outfielder Yoelqui Céspedes, third baseman Wes Kath) plus resurgent third baseman Jake Burger.

Scott Merkin' August Writeup linked here: https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/colson-montgomery-new-white-sox-top-prospect

Final 2021 Records (MLB 162 game equivalent):

• Low A Kannapolis 40-79 .336 (54-108)
  • High A Winston-Salem 43-76 .361 (58-104)
  • AA Birmingham 62-56 .525 (85-77)
  • AAA Charlotte 47-81 .367 (59-103)
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox have solid young players, but most have graduated, leaving the Sox dead last in Farm System Rankings (through the 2021 draft).

They will have to continue to trade additional cost controlled ML ready talent (Dunning, Madrigal, Heuer) for additional deals. It's why I am against trading off many more pieces for more old veterans.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-farm-system-rankings

The White Sox’s minor leagues stank in 2013-2016. Those same teams produced Semien, Bassitt, Anderson, and Tatis. There can and will be individual success stories in overall bad systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox’s minor leagues stank in 2013-2016. Those same teams produced Semien, Bassitt, Anderson, and Tatis. There can and will be individual success stories in overall bad systems.

True. and they probably weren't as bad as they were ranked. I believe Hudson was somewhere around that time, maybe a little earlier.

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

True. and they probably weren't as bad as they were ranked. I believe Hudson was somewhere around that time, maybe a little earlier.

Yeah he was a little earlier, he was traded to the Diamondbacks in 2010. Of course, the white sox’s system wasn’t good then either.

20 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Hoping the Sox can get Conforto locked up before Thanksgiving

Highly doubt the Sox lock up anyone at all by Dec.1st. I don't see much of anything happening with the Sox until after the new CBA is agreed on whenever that may be.

Conforto is Boras. If Conforto is expected to get near $20M for 4 or 5 years, he's not coming here period.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Highly doubt the Sox lock up anyone at all by Dec.1st. I don't see much of anything happening with the Sox until after the new CBA is agreed on whenever that may be.

Conforto is Boras. If Conforto is expected to get near $20 for 4 or 5 years, he's not coming here period.

So far the guys signing seem to be guys who teams think might be a little undervalued, guys who get offers and then think “hmm this might not be here in March”. 

One guy who might fit that description could be Tepera.

• Like 1